Quantcast

is body armour necessary

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
greg447 said:
Yes, body armour is an essential, now the whole mx vs. mtb helmets, w/e man just wear a lid its better than hitting something without anything on, also the 661 pressure suits are nice, the rock gardn are better, and i have a dainese suit and a rockgardn and i dont feel any significant difference, dainese might look a little better but if you look around mostly rich littel kids and people sponsored by dainese are the only people wearing them..but go with what feels better for you man.
The dainese outifts are generally cooler and fit better (although this is starting to change).

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to who has them. Dainese sponsors NOBODY. The vast majority of people wearing dainese are racers who spend all day in a suit for 3-4 days at a time. Having something that doesn't chafe, is comfortable and is cool is key.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
I just ordered the Dainese shuttle pro suit. It's was a easy decision, go fast violently crash and stand a very good chance of not having as a serious injury. And a mx helmet like a Troy lee SE or Fox V3 will make a huge difference also.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I dont race and have only recently started to ride more agressively, but I am looking into armor and a full face helmet.

Do any of you wear full face helmets when you are not shuttling (aka trailride)?

Do you wear full face helmets when riding street/urban?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I even wear a fullface when I trail ride. I wear an old Switchblade. Usually if its not a real long uphill trail ride, I carry my DH helmet in my pack and then throw it on before I head down.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
We all do a dangerous sport- the risk you want to take is up to you. Most guys I see ride with a full suit. Personally, I can't stand upper suits and it's never helped me in a crash anyway. I don't really enjoy riding as much when I am all suited up, so what's the point?

Even lower armor has not done much for me, but I still wear it because it makes me feel better.

Oh, and moto helmet all the way. Maybe an mtb helmet helps at lower speeds better but I am not concerned with that- I am worried about the high speed stuff.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
body amour has saved me from lots of crashes. bailed out of a jump mid air and landed on my shoulder, got up and continued to ride. but then now i dont wear it much anymore, it restricts your movement too much to corner well.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not reading the whole Post here, 661 fan here assault suit has saved my Chest, shoulders, and spine Bunched of times. If your going to be Pushing the Limit by racing, Get some armor, Youll thanks yourself first time you need it!!!

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
tmoney727t said:
i am going to be racing DH this season and was wondering if body armour is necesary for DH, I have a full face and knee/shin pads, i just dont really want to drop teh extra coin for the vest. is the protection increase worth the money?
Are seatbelts necessary?

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Well i've started not riding with armour because it makes me a hell of alot tired due to the restriction and heat implications it causes.

When i switched to a usual t-shirt, shinnies, elbows, mtb full face and goggles I felt much more comfortable and had way more energy to push it as well as being able to concetrate on not crashing, because i had more energy.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Mugger said:
Well i've started not riding with armour because it makes me a hell of alot tired due to the restriction and heat implications it causes.

When i switched to a usual t-shirt, shinnies, elbows, mtb full face and goggles I felt much more comfortable and had way more energy to push it as well as being able to concetrate on not crashing, because i had more energy.
Until you eat ****. Then you have more energy to heal?
Armour is just a good idea. Buy it. Wear it.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
dhkid said:
body amour has saved me from lots of crashes. bailed out of a jump mid air and landed on my shoulder, got up and continued to ride. but then now i dont wear it much anymore, it restricts your movement too much to corner well.
Restricts you too much to corner well? Come on! You've got to be kidding. Are you wearing a suit that's two sizes too small and doesn't allow you to bend your arms properly?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Body armor is a mixed bag:
Cons: Its hot, restricting, expensive & smells like death.
Pros: Have you ever shoulder tackled a tree at speed? Its the difference between a collerbone fracture and walking away laughing.

I choose not to wear armor when it is super hot/muggy. I just cannot function well when I'm overheated.
I'll wear all my gear if I'm racing or the temperature allows it.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Definately get armor to start racing, the first season or two is brutal on most everyone. I only use armor on the harsher, more dangerous courses now, and even then usually only for practice. Dont get crappy armor either, you will regret it and it will be more of a waste of money because you wont want to use it.

Aug 6, 2005
hmmmm Johnny Waddell says that if his coach hadnt made him wear a MX helmit, he probly woulda died... anyway, i hav a daniese upper body suit and love it. its cool, pretty compfy (ive worn it beneith my t-shirt before) and breaths really good. I try to roll as much as possible when i crash so my back usually takes a beating, that the main reason i decided to jump fer armor. a good investment to say the least

buy it, wear it, and hope theres never a scratch on it

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
When paying a visit to the gnar gnar, I completely forget I am wearing armor.

Until I crash. Then I am usually very happy to have it.

Sounds like some of you need stuff that fits.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i wear armour on all practise runs and **** like that and take it off when it comes to race time. my theroy is you could crash pushing it hard in practise and you could get injured and not be able to race. if you crash in a race your pretty much done anyway so i usually ride w/o armour unless its rock city.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
bjanga said:
I dont race and have only recently started to ride more agressively, but I am looking into armor and a full face helmet.

Do any of you wear full face helmets when you are not shuttling (aka trailride)?

1) Either a dirt lid or my Giro E2 for trailriding. Sometimes I'll wear either of those for shuttling also. Sometimes as in, oh crap, I left my full face at home and the only thing in the truck is the dirt lid or E2.

2) No.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
bjanga said:

it really depends on what you are doing on your trailride. when i trailride around here that usually means that there are some cliffs to huck in a system of trails that are not downhill. but for riding street and urban i always use my skate lid.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
h22ekhatch said:
This reminds me of Whistler last year. It was a long trip so when we got there we decided just to do a run or two then get some food and call it a night. Since it was gonna be quick we said screw the armor and just took our helmets...

So as you might guess, I am cruising down the trail and bam...all of a sudden my front wheel washes out in some sandy/soft dirt and I do about 4 cartwheels head over heels. The damage wasn't too bad except for a huge gash on my leg, a big chunk of meat out of my back, and both elbows looked like raw hamburger meat.

All of this of course while my $400 worth of body armor sit in the hotel room.

Moral of the story: **** happens. I was on a joy ride that night and crashed pretty good (I most likely wouldnt have had a scratch on me had I been wearing my pads)...the difference here is you are talking RACING. Racing = pushing it to the edge = chances of crashing go up exponentially.

Since money is an issue just get a 661 or something...
Last summer, I partook in a whistler road trip. I could either afford gas, or some upper body armour. I chose gas and ended up going over the bars on a big rock rolldown and comming back with seven stitches and a four hundred dollar medical bill.

Buy your armor and get used to it before you regret it. However, until you take a big fall, you're going to be taking your safety for granted. Hope that during the big fall, there are small pieces of plastic and foam seperating you from the ground.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Lex said:
Restricts you too much to corner well? Come on! You've got to be kidding. Are you wearing a suit that's two sizes too small and doesn't allow you to bend your arms properly?
nah, its the correct size for sure. maybe coz i haven't really used it much for a while then suddently used it in a race full of tight corners. bottom line it always restrics your movement, even if its just a little.

julian_dh said:
i wear armour on all practise runs and **** like that and take it off when it comes to race time. my theroy is you could crash pushing it hard in practise and you could get injured and not be able to race. if you crash in a race your pretty much done anyway so i usually ride w/o armour unless its rock city.
:stupid: push hard in pratice to find your pace, crash, get up and do it agian a bit slower.