Quantcast

It’s Official…Fontana will host National #1

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
konabiker said:
Jbelt, unless you are really serious about points it wouldn't be worth while to come all the way out here just to race fontana.
I'm really curious why you think this way.

How many venues have you raced before? what did you like/dislike about the venue?

Why do you think that Fontana can't produce a solid National?

What suggestions might help to make this race better?

The reason I ask is that I know a place that wants to run races and an FR/DH park but they want to know what they're getting into before they start, so they're looking for opinions.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
stiksandstones said:
Castaic, Temecula, Sagebrush safari, san dimas, mt baldy, snow valley, bear mountain, green valley, palm springs, idylwild, mt. high, julian, mexico, malibu, laguna, camp pendleton, griffith park, gorman, cathedral city, Augora...
Just to name a few places where races have been held before. I am over and out on this debate-its been fun.
ok lets see. sagebrush is hardly worth a natl. that place is worse than fontana. mt baldy doesnt have adequate lifts to accomidate a national. mt high cant have bikes for a few years because the forest service says so. mexico isnt in the US. thats the most stupid suggestion for a NATIONAL. and laguna isnt legal. even though i agree. i would love to race down telonics. unless you think ted williams is a good national i cant think of a better place in socal. why dont they just put it at N*?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
W4S said:
I'm really curious why you think this way.

How many venues have you raced before? what did you like/dislike about the venue?

Why do you think that Fontana can't produce a solid National?

What suggestions might help to make this race better?

The reason I ask is that I know a place that wants to run races and an FR/DH park but they want to know what they're getting into before they start, so they're looking for opinions.
Well I am from AR, so a non lift access race 3k miles away may be pushing it. He has a point.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
merrrrjig said:
IMO, (well there are a few darker people, DUBs, and lower income people) but not to worry, donnie will figure out a shuttle situation, and most likely have a nice course
What's wrong with those things?
You hang out with Sanjay and MICRO, they are dark. And lower income people? Don't even start with that you High Roller you.

If there is anyone qualified to put on a National-caliber race it's Donnie. But I'm not too keen on the idea of using the current location as a successful venue.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
alf, im not saying anything bad about fontana, I think it will be perfect, its just not a resort town or anything, and sanjay and micro dont roll on dubs or sell CDs in the parking lot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BMXman said:
wow...all this complaining but no one else can come up with a legitimate alternative.....D
Let's be honest, NORBA isn't interested in legitimate alternatives. They asked for help a few years ago after everyone was bitching, a few of us offerred our expertises (PR, Marketing, Sponsorship, Course building etc) all of us received curt emails back - thanks but no thanks.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
biker3 said:
Seriously, when the world starts to settle for Mediocracy, you know things are F-ed up. Just look at our prez.
It is definitely sad when the world starts to settle for mediocrity, especially with spelling!

Transcend said:
On ****tastic courses. Ya, that's great. Thanks guys.
Come to the Snowmass national and you won't have to worry about a crappy dual slalom/4x course.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
WheelieMan said:
It is definitely sad when the world starts to settle for mediocrity, especially with spelling!

Come to the Snowmass national and you won't have to worry about a crappy dual slalom/4x course.
That course was not fantastic by any means. Hell they didnt even end up racing on it.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
WheelieMan said:

Mediocracy is a perfectly legible and existant word in our fine language. Look it up, and if you question the context, you'll note we're talking norba here which most def. can fall under a "governing body" catagory. Thank you.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
konabiker said:
Maybe this will mean Donnie will get a legit timing system? I hate to say it because I love what he does at Fontana, but I don't see it working out too well.
There's nothing wrong with Fontucky's timing and scoring. I raced beginer mens DH last time and finished fith three seconds ahead of the guy in fourth, but my last fontuky race was almost a year ago so it may have improved since. go for the fun of it not to win and you won't be disapointed:blah:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Transcend said:
Let's be honest, NORBA isn't interested in legitimate alternatives. They asked for help a few years ago after everyone was bitching, a few of us offerred our expertises (PR, Marketing, Sponsorship, Course building etc) all of us received curt emails back - thanks but no thanks.
You're just bitter because you remember when racing NORBA events waas fun and you could make a good living at it. For some of the younger guys on RM this is the best they've ever seen a NORBA race
:dead:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
maxyedor said:
There's nothing wrong with Fontucky's timing and scoring. I raced beginer mens DH last time and finished fith three seconds ahead of the guy in fourth, but my last fontuky race was almost a year ago so it may have improved since. go for the fun of it not to win and you won't be disapointed:blah:
Tell that to the pros, I bet they'd be pretty mellow about it you know? Considering they're racing for their jobs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Msisle Dad said:
Fraser, how do you know about the courses? did you race at any?
Saw all of them, didn't race a single one. (I never race slalom anyways, just to be clear).

The Slalom courses at NCS races are a joke. MTNX wasn't much better, save for a few. Only they raced horribly.

Bikes are not snowboards and they do not have a motor. Case closed, 4x will never work.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
biker3 said:
Well pictures on the web tend to be public domain, as well as hearing opinions and reports from other riders who don't bend over backwards for norba.
The rider reports tend to be what does it for me. I get tons of these after every report, and post some of the good ones from Kintner etc. I don't tend to post the really mean ones, but rest assured, some riders send them.

The photos of a few gates on grass don't help, but it's pretty hard to tell anything from photos normally. (ie: the steepest DH courses look like a flat field or gently rolling hill in most photos).

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
Saw all of them, didn't race a single one. (I never race slalom anyways, just to be clear).

The Slalom courses at NCS races are a joke. MTNX wasn't much better, save for a few. Only they raced horribly.

Bikes are not snowboards and they do not have a motor. Case closed, 4x will never work.
I agree, 4x plain sucks, even on the WC stage where there is money and knowledge, barring unforseen blunders the guy who makes it to the first turn faster than everyone else wins the race 90% of the time which is totally lame.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
biker3 said:
I agree, 4x plain sucks, even on the WC stage where there is money and knowledge, barring unforseen blunders the guy who makes it to the first turn faster than everyone else wins the race 90% of the time which is totally lame.

I thought I was the only one who thought it looked lame, Not much actual racing ie swiping positions back and forth

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
biker3 said:
Well pictures on the web tend to be public domain, as well as hearing opinions and reports from other riders who don't bend over backwards for norba.
Ok, away from Mt Snow's example of DS most mtx/ds were good. What were you seeing/hearing? I didnt hear other complaints.

Most Dh courses look insignificant on film, web pics etc. It's probably one of the major reasons DH didnt take off as an "extreme sport".

MTX racing doesnt film much better.

As for NORBA. The are not the course designers, thats the resorts responsibility. That's Mt Snows fault for lousy DS...And NORBA's for not holding them to a higher standard

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I would assume it's a little late now, but why not have a national at Northstar? Is the construction not yet done? Would that even matter? The mountain is great. There is pleny of space for a slalom course, unless the meadows/hillsides that I see are protected. There is plenty of space for a cross country race, and there could even be a Super D.

Have the series final more towards the end of August, and put in the Northstar event in early August. This would be an excellent solution to the "lack" of Cali places to race. Bootleg is also a great suggestion. I'm sure Washington and Oregon also have some great mountains. Anyone ever heard of Bend, Oregon, the new capital of extreme mountain bikeous activities?

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Construction at Northstar isn't done yet. When they get the new village finished they will host a national (assuming they still exist).

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I saw about page 5, someone said "all this complaining but no one has an alternative"
I am pretty sure about page 2 I mentioned about a dozen other places they could have held a national before this roach.

At supercross this weekend, someone was debating with me on how having the race in Fontana could open up the sport to a whole new demographic-I laughed...sure, tucky' kids who can barely afford to buy a big mac checking out $6000 DH bikes.

This is not to say people can not dream, I just thought it was a lame argument. I vote for changing "THE WALL" section to "THE WALL GARDEN" it makes it sound more extreme, although since air quality in fontana is one of the worst in the nation that is extreme enough.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bizutch said:
I'm throwing the Debbie Downer card on STIK
Wop Whaaaaaaa

Seriously though, like I said before-If anyone can polish a turd, it will be Donnie. I have faith in that guy to put on a great event...but I am all about real estate.
Location, Location, Location.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
stiksandstones said:
I saw about page 5, someone said "all this complaining but no one has an alternative"
I am pretty sure about page 2 I mentioned about a dozen other places they could have held a national before this roach.

At supercross this weekend, someone was debating with me on how having the race in Fontana could open up the sport to a whole new demographic-I laughed...sure, tucky' kids who can barely afford to buy a big mac checking out $6000 DH bikes.

This is not to say people can not dream, I just thought it was a lame argument. I vote for changing "THE WALL" section to "THE WALL GARDEN" it makes it sound more extreme, although since air quality in fontana is one of the worst in the nation that is extreme enough.
i dont know if you noticed. but all those places you mentioned cannot be raced on for various reasons. the majority of those trails arent even legal

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
lovebunny said:
i dont know if you noticed. but all those places you mentioned cannot be raced on for various reasons. the majority of those trails arent even legal
Did not notice, this thread frightens me.
The places I mentioned have had numerous races before and could have again if the right people proposed to the powers that be. Anything is possible if done properly.