Quantcast

Jesus being fat sucks...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I need to start drinking more before I come in these threads.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I I own 6 bikes,
So.
Fvcking.
What.

So i let my riding do the talking im not some suit and tie guy with an education who drives a Mercedes suv
There is no shame in education, but we would probably both agree that Mercedes drivers are douchebags of the highest order.

Im a cave man rider
And I actually look like a caveman these days. Your point?

So i may not fit in with your little yuppie group .
Yeah? Well you just got scratched off the list for the next RM racquetball tournament, buddy. Don't count on going to any of our equestrian events either.

Just trying to introduce myself politely .
That's fine. Welcome to RM. Like I said, not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that your typing is hard to read. I'll wear the special glasses next time.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Two dumb questions:

1) What do you think about the "minimalist" shoes?

and

2) Is it totally retarded for a beginner runner to jump straight into barefoot or minimalist running?

As a side note, I was looking at a pair of the 5-fingers as a good alternative for drumming shoes. I wear Vans (have for years) but they never feel right until they are super worn out. They feel best when the soles are thinned out and the uppers are full of holes. I've tried drumming barefoot and it was exceedingly painful (bass drum pedals are about as comfy as BMX pedals) I'll have to see what's out there.
Some of this has been touched on already, but I'll expand based on my experience. YMMV of course..
When I started the wife printed this off for me, I taped it inside my locker at work and followed it pretty closely the first couple weeks and it seemed to work very well.
That being said, about week 4 I developed HORRIBLE shin splints. The way it was explained to me, was that basically, the muscles you use to run are pretty much the exact opposite of the ones you use to pedal. Apparently shin splints are VERY common for regular cyclists who start running as your running muscles basically have to overcome your already developed cycling muscles. If you haven't been riding much (or at all) this might not be an issue for you. I took off week 5 just to recover, but afterwards pretty much just jumped straight to running the full half hour. For me it was more about developing the running muscles as I already had lung capacity from cycling.

As for minimalist shoes, Like MikeD said, I think you might be best off starting in them as opposed to already being a runner and trying to switch. When I started I actually ran in an old pair of Vans. The platform of a typical pair of vans is pretty flat, and a worm out pair is basically a minimalist shoe. The only issue really is that they don't "breath" per se. A running shoe is ventilated to the point where its basically a sock with a sole. Barefoot running is more about conditioning the skin. I've done some short distances barefoot, mostly just to make sure my stride is correct, and man does the skin of my feet hurt later. I ran barefoot once on the ramp at the airport and it was like running on sandpaper, I could barely walk for 3 days. I eventually switched from Vans to a minimalist shoe and am pretty happy. If I'm not at work I'm either barefoot or in sandals for the most part so it didn't seem like that big of a leap for me.

I still have a love/hate relationship with running. I don't seem to enjoy it the way my wife and her running pals do. It's boring, and for me, due mostly I think to all my old accident injuries, mildly painful. But I do like the challenge, my regular run is a 5k in tha hood. I've run a couple charity/sponsored 5k's, and a 10k. I'll never be competitive, but its fun to run with a big crowd and in April I'm going down to Tempe to run in the Tillman race/fundraiser (Sponsor me!) so it certianly has some kind of masochistic allure. I can run pretty much anytime I have a free half hour at anytime in damn near any weather. When I travel for work or whatnot its as simple as making sure I have a pair of shorts and my shoes. I still love my bikes, but running is a lot more accessible and way less time consuming.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just picked up a $45 pair of Asics trail running shoes. After doing most of my running in ultra thin sole shoes, the thin layer of padding feels great. Just enough for some padding, but still able to run on the front of my feet.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Quite simply put, you can't really pinpoint it unless you're doing an activity that can be measured with a strain gauge (powermeter)...like cycling. Vague estimations abound, and are generally "pretty close", which is really enough for the general populace.
Fecal evaluations can reveal how much fat has been burned also...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I used to take this stuff called ,Thermolean ,had ephedrine in it but sheez you could ride like the wind.
I got a great bike for the phat kids a 60 lb banshee scream v2,with monster t,700 pound rear spring. got to be able to find someone who wants it .The thing is a boat anchor.
Stay away from trans fats,gluten, for sure. Drink lots of juice like carrot with ginger,with a juicer,eat super fruit like blue berries,avacados,oysters in a can for a pre bike snack,Take liquid ginsing for energy for big ride days.
I average 76 whistler days in summer and ride 4 days a week all year round.with a 3 day a week gym routine day 1 back and arms ,fore arms,day 2 chest and tri ,traps day 3 legs and shoulders off days in between.or when you are tierd.
Get a gym membership or join a boot camp ,they make you decide the lifestyle choice.Total gym at home ,knuckle pushups. Lots of hike a bike rides and hiking,swiming ,stretching ,Skip rope ,build core strength with pilates, Rock climbing,Snow shoeing, get out and start trailbuilding that is the most strenuous form of excersise out there.
And in your free time, work a job to pay for all these shenanigans...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I I own 6 bikes,
Banshee scream v2
Norco Shore
Santa Cruz Nomad
Specialized Sx trail
Specialized Demo 7
Specialized Demo 8
Brodie h/t,we the people BMX
So i let my riding do the talking im not some suit and tie guy with an education who drives a Mercedes suv .
Im a cave man rider who is passionate about the sport of freeride,i drive old trucks ,& wrench myself.
So i may not fit in with your little yuppie group .Just trying to introduce myself politely .
this is a fat thread not a grammer school ,i hope i get neg rep.
When i post i try to get attention and be like a joker its all in good fun don't get your boxers in a knot.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok...anyone ever have bouts of nausea after the gym? I am assuming that this is because I am a complete gym n00b and my body is adapting, but there's been more than one occasion the past week or so where about 20-30 minutes after a workout I'm almost tossing cookies.

Is it hydration? (or lack of?) I drink plenty of water (I think?) during the day and while at the gym.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Look at the tips of your fingers, if they're wrinkled it's a sign of under hydration.

Another test is to pull up the skin on the back of your hand between the thumb and index finger. If it snaps back quickly then you are properly hydrated. If it's slow then you need to drink more.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok...anyone ever have bouts of nausea after the gym? I am assuming that this is because I am a complete gym n00b and my body is adapting, but there's been more than one occasion the past week or so where about 20-30 minutes after a workout I'm almost tossing cookies.

Is it hydration? (or lack of?) I drink plenty of water (I think?) during the day and while at the gym.
It could be a bunch of different things... including hydration or de-hydration, eating too much and/or too soon before the workout, or just really working your butt off! I have real problems with eating - I have to pay careful attention to what and when I eat before a workout or I end up feeling nauseaus.... or starving. I have found that keeping a journal has helped me figure out better habits.

Good luck!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm down 11lbs since my shocking step on a scale two weeks back.
I have absolute no idea how much I weigh. I bought the cheapest scale they had at Target awhile back and it swings wildly +/- about 25 pounds. One day I weigh 205 and the next day 245.

And no it's not just me, other people have stepped on it and panicked.

I should get another. If I wasn't so fat and lazy.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We have no scale at home. When I first stepped on the friends scale I just assumed it had to be out of whack, but a step on the calibrated scale at work confirmed my worst fears. I happened to have a doctors appointment on monday where of course they made me step on a scale and I was down to 184. I'm not sure its healthy to have a scale at home.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We have no scale at home. When I first stepped on the friends scale I just assumed it had to be out of whack, but a step on the calibrated scale at work confirmed my worst fears. I happened to have a doctors appointment on monday where of course they made me step on a scale and I was down to 184. I'm not sure its healthy to have a scale at home.
We have a scale that my mom bought so she could weigh her luggage to make sure she kept it under the 50# limit... it sits in a box in the basement. :homer:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It could be a bunch of different things... including hydration or de-hydration, eating too much and/or too soon before the workout, or just really working your butt off! I have real problems with eating - I have to pay careful attention to what and when I eat before a workout or I end up feeling nauseaus.... or starving. I have found that keeping a journal has helped me figure out better habits.

Good luck!
Same here. If I eat a significant meal (not talking snacks here, I mean a good fill me up meal) within 4 hrs of a hard workout I will feel like puking.

Good news is that I eventually figured out the formula for my body. I avoid eating meals for ~4hrs before the gym then I eat a banana ~1hr before I work out. This gives me energy and prevents me from feeling hungry without wanting to wharf.

Also, Jesus being fat:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok...anyone ever have bouts of nausea after the gym?
For me that totally depends on the talent in the gym that day. I mean, the way some gym-goers squeeze into their outfits totally makes me want to hurl.

Seriously, it sounds like you've got the hydration thing covered. Do you eat before or after a workout? Working out will jump-start your metabolism, and I find that if my stomach is empty I can get queasy. But since I usually do a lot of core and ab work at the gym I don't want much in my stomach when I head to the gym - as a result I try to eat something as soon as I finish.