Quantcast

JMAC, Indieboy, and anyone else with sponsors

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
What categories do you race?
I'm seriously looking into getting a sponsor for next year, because soon im gonna have to start paying for repairs instead of getting them for free because i bought my bike from that shop. i have a basic knowledge of how to do repairs(brakes, derailleurs etc..)but don't know the big things that will have to be done soon(fork and shock overhauls, wheel truing on the backup wheels at least). I see beginners that really suck that are sponsored, so i figure if im moving up to sport next year, then i have a chance at getting a sponsor. How do i go about asking bike shops, companies, etc, to sponsor me?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm sponsored by Titus bicycles, and race Expert.
I was sponsored by a local bike shop when I raced Sport.
I never raced Beginner.

I created a race resume to send to companies I wanted sponsorship from. Basically, it just tells a little background about myself, lists all my race results for the past 2 years, lists all my affiliations and memberships, my 2003 season goals and a 2003 tentative race schedule.

A good place to start is your local bike shops. Go in and talk to them about opportunities. Just ask if they have any sponsorship programs. That way you can get discounts on parts and stuff.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Heidi
I never raced Beginner.

I created a race resume to send to companies I wanted sponsorship from. Basically, it just tells a little background about myself, lists all my race results for the past 2 years, lists all my affiliations and memberships, my 2003 season goals and a 2003 tentative race schedule.

A good place to start is your local bike shops. Go in and talk to them about opportunities. Just ask if they have any sponsorship programs. That way you can get discounts on parts and stuff.
oh yeah, forgot the obvious sponsored person.:D

Thanks, that was the kind of answer i was looking for.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I race Cadet which i don't know if you have that there but it's canada so it's crasy and all screwed up. Cadets is 15-16 when i move up to junoir which is 17-18 they have expert and sport.
I'm just kinda sponsored by my shop it's a small shop and the guy is really nice so he lets me use all his tools and stuff. I also get a huge discount i got 500-600 $ of my bike. All i have to do is wear his jersey which he wanted me to design for next year but i'm lazy so i let him make the design and i just tell him if it's a go or no go pretty cool hey.

After next year i'll be looking for a real sponser like OCG some guys i race against are sponsored by them they give you the best gary fisher and all the parts and clothing you want. They only sponser about 20 people in canada a year though.

Mainly i just work alot to pay for my stuff and my parents now help me out since they see how much i like it. Like they let me bourogh like 1500 $ some times or like my wheelset that was 700 they lents me the money but i pay them off quik. My parents also will be paying for my shoes for next year most likely shimano m221 they cost 250$ canadian.

I don't know how i'll pay for my new drive train though. Cause i'm not working any more.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002

Oww no wonder you're always saying how great Titus is when really they suck:D
I'm just kiding they're the best except for C-dale.:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC

keep telling yourself that lol :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I never raced Beginner.

i race junior expert for Independent Fabrication. and yeah that's pretty much the way i went about things. i just started riding a lot and the local shop that i went to all the time had a team and they were the ones who actually got me into racing. they helped me out from the start and when i started to get better i started to compose a resume w/ all the races i had done, what i planned on doing for the next season as far as racing and anything involved in cycling whether it be trail maintence n what not. thankfully i had some people in high places that helped me out and the team i am still involved w/ were lookin for juniors to help develop at the time and i was just at the right place at the right time and knew the right ppl to talk to, to pass the word about me along the line. right now it's going to be hard to get any companies to hand out sponsorships b/c of how bad the industry is doing right now. so i'd start off w/ a local shop and work your way up along the ladder.....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I pity you.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I geuss you monkeys really like Titus i've never used one i don't even know if i've ever seen one in real life. I just can't afford one and i'm jelous i quess. :rolleyes:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thats the most pathetic thing i've heard all day jelous of giant. Ha you loser giants suck they're made in tiawan by monkeys.
Look at giants team bikes they're a joke compaired to any C-dale. You don't see many people win races on giants.:p

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Thats the most pathetic thing i've heard all day jelous of giant. Ha you loser giants suck they're made in tiawan by monkeys.
Look at giants team bikes they're a joke compaired to any C-dale. You don't see many people win races on giants.:p
Maybe not in america Junior..oops i mean canada.:D

BTW, Where is tiawan, new country?:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
oh god........*shakes head* lets not start on cdale ok.....i'd ride a giant wayyyyyy before i'd ride a cdale.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Tabernak I don't want to be anything like you little American coprophages.:nopity:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ya thats right go eat your mammas frotis.:p
lol that's the one area youu can talk..........all the hell you want about :D b/c my mom is a chump... really don't get along w/ her

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
You really have no clue what frotis is it's french if you didn't realize that.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
What ever i'm bored of trying to make you see that c-dale is a good company it's not like i make fun of IF.
Infact I love IF but i just don't have the money to buy one.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
What ever i'm bored of trying to make you see that c-dale is a good company it's not like i make fun of IF.
Infact I love IF but i just don't have the money to buy one.
lol dude i was only teasing you, they aren't that bad i just don't like how the ride. i don't think necessarly that they are a good company, they are definiatly well run, just to large and try to do to many things i think. their inhouse stuff just stinks though, no way to get around the fact that their coda parts suck sorry. i'm not to down w/ the lefty or the headshock and i am not into the ultra stiff ride that they give. but different strokes for different folks yo. why there are more then one company out there to meet the ends of different riding styles.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well of coarse you can say they're to big seeing as you ride for IF.
Of coarse a small custom company will be better than c-dale. But for a big manufaturer i think c-dale is the best.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Of coarse a small custom company will be better than c-dale. But for a big manufaturer i think c-dale is the best.
if you think i just say things about IF b/c i race for them your wrong, i wouldn't continue to race for a team where i pay for my frames n a good bit of other stuff when i got smaller local teams that want me to race for them and are very willing to give me bikes if i didn't believe in the company and their product so :p. anyways i think cdales are nice n all i just don't like em. mainly b/c they don't ride like how i like my bikes to ride. i'd ride a sworks or rocky mtn as far as big companies go.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Even though i'm a canadian i really hate RM xc bikes i love their freeride bikes but their xc bikes just seem deranged to me. I love specialized to i used to have a P3 it was so nice.

I've got it all planned out so i should be able to buy a fairly decent road bike so i can race road next year to.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I'll admit that c-dale makes a good HT, but best in mass production i dunno. i race with a kid that, just by picking up gravel with his tire, put an inch and a half dent in his frame. CAAD 5 is just way too thin. Their FS basically sucks IMO. Have you ever seen how much bob there is in a scalpel? you know how much bob my NRS has? none. and the gemini seems to be crap too, a broken frame after a month of riding? i wouldnt pay a few thousand for that.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
The fact is Giants and all bikes break just as much is C-dale. I've seen many broken AC frames. The scalple if set up right is really nice Chris Sauser one of the top riders in the world rides it and it doesn't slow him down.
That must of been a huge peice of gravel cause i have the CAAD 5 also and i've crashed loads of times having it fall down very steep decents hitting rocks on it's way down and there isn't any dents. You can't dent the frame from gravel hitting it the kid is probly full of **** and rather say a peice of gravel did it than admit he's clumsy and let his bike fall.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
The fact is Giants and all bikes break just as much is C-dale. I've seen many broken AC frames. The scalple if set up right is really nice Chris Sauser one of the top riders in the world rides it and it doesn't slow him down.
That must of been a huge peice of gravel cause i have the CAAD 5 also and i've crashed loads of times having it fall down very steep decents hitting rocks on it's way down and there isn't any dents. You can't dent the frame from gravel hitting it the kid is probly full of **** and rather say a peice of gravel did it than admit he's clumsy and let his bike fall.
It wasn't in a spot that it could have been caused by it falling. it was on the underside of the downtube near the bb, and the kid isn't clumsy, his bike is in pristine condition otherwise, and he's first in the category too. as for the scalpel, i forgot about that one, however like topaz said, the top riders in the world would still kick @$$ on a walmart bike. As for giants breaking as much as c-dales, i personally think that's a load. ive heard of a lot more c-dales breaking than giants. and im sure the gemini will break a lot too, and in a few cases it already has. You really cant compare all of giants broken freeride frames to all the broken xc c-dale frames, it's not the same. i have a feeling that more c-dale freeride c-dales would be broken than ACs had they been in production earlier.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
C-dale do break but they have such a good warrenty who gives.
Also Cedric Gracia one of the worlds best DHers and freerider did the Red Bull Rampage on a Gemini. People just like to bag on C-dale the fact is Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Giant, Trek, Ect they all break.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Even though i'm a canadian i really hate RM xc bikes i love their freeride bikes but their xc bikes just seem deranged to me. I love specialized to i used to have a P3 it was so nice.

I've got it all planned out so i should be able to buy a fairly decent road bike so i can race road next year to.
those Rm hardtails are sweeeet dude! yeah this should be a good tim eto get a good road bike b/c there are gonna be a LOT of close outs on 02 stuff so keep you eyes open.