Quantcast

Job change this late? Maybe.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The reality is my career has not progressed due to the fact I have no desire to move into management. I was making about what I was making in 2000 before the crash and it took further education and a long time to get back there. There doesn't seem to be a ton of stuff I can walk into making $50/hr (if there is, help a brother out). So the reality is likely a shift in careers to something else.

After the .com stuff, I considered becoming an electrician. Part of me thinks I might be in a much different spot now had I then. But at 48, it may not be an option (the pay sucks ass for the first 3 years). Or do I suck it up, shoot for management and hope to not kill myself before that? I enjoy doing what I do, but I am old and expensive, so the prospect is less and less.
I got my real estate license at 50 (3 years ago) It allows me to make some side $ while still doing my main job. I'm hoping once we get both kids through college (6 years & counting) My wife can retire, we leave the Bay Area and I can focus on real estate 100%. Right now, a few transactions a year doesn't hurt. Just a thought.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I got my real estate license at 50 (3 years ago) It allows me to make some side $ while still doing my main job. I'm hoping once we get both kids through college (6 years & counting) My wife can retire, we leave the Bay Area and I can focus on real estate 100%. Right now, a few transactions a year doesn't hurt. Just a thought.
I've almost always had a 2nd source of income. Started working at 13, now 50. Use the primary income for living and saving, side source for fun, toys, winter ski passes, entertainment etc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've almost always had a 2nd source of income. Started working at 13, now 50. Use the primary income for living and saving, side source for fun, toys, winter ski passes, entertainment etc.
But not all of us are willing to work as a fluffer :(

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Outside of Glory Hole Service Technician, what's your side hustle? I'm not working atm and would love to have some money coming in while I job search.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I looked at real estate as well post boom and just can't do it. I have a friend who makes a TON of money selling, but I can't sell jack shit. I am not that person, just can't see it. Was reading about a guy who makes $19 an hour on average driving for Lyft and Uber 20ish hours a week. 1, my car doesn't work for those, and 2 I have a distaste for people in general.

For now I will suck it up, buckle down on my Python and really pigeonhole myself, but at least be employable for a few more year and maybe society will collapse by then.