Quantcast

John Jacob Jingle Hammer Schmidt!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Correct, but if you need a granny gear to begin with, then this isn't exactly a news flash. You probably know something I don't about this crank, but I thought hammerschmidt had the same gear ratios of a middle ring as well. If thats the case, then why wouldn't you want to condense that entire cluster-f*** of a front derailleur and gears into a single ring set up with a tensioner?
Yes but it only has a 22t, so your suspension will feel that way regardless of the resistance "feel" of the effective 36t.

-ska todd

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
<--- This guy doesn't get it. Here's why:
1. It can have the awesomest tensioner in the world and my chain is still going to slap like crazy because the tiny front ring keeps the chain so close to the chainstay.
2. As Skatodd pointed out, you only have a granny ring as far as your suspension is concerned, so like, have fun with that.
3. Extra expense and weight, and you still have a f*cking rear derailleur dangling about.

Why didn't SRAM instead spend two years working on a gearbox or internal gear hub? This seems like a very unnecessary halfway point. Am I wrong or missing something?

CarbonMike

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Slovakia
look quite good. I was expecting the possibility of different cranksets so you just bolt hammerschmidt on spider, bolt some piece on ISCG and run. But it doesnt really matter. Price and durability will be key feature. I will go for hammerschmidt...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
<--- This guy doesn't get it. Here's why:
1. It can have the awesomest tensioner in the world and my chain is still going to slap like crazy because the tiny front ring keeps the chain so close to the chainstay.
2. As Skatodd pointed out, you only have a granny ring as far as your suspension is concerned, so like, have fun with that.
3. Extra expense and weight, and you still have a f*cking rear derailleur dangling about.

Why didn't SRAM instead spend two years working on a gearbox or internal gear hub? This seems like a very unnecessary halfway point. Am I wrong or missing something?

Pure conjecture here...

Internally geared hubs are heavy and it would take a whole new frame standard to accept a gearbox. Which isn't to say they aren't working on something, but I'm sure its going to be awhile before we see it.

Hammerschmidt is an interesting idea...I'd like to try one sometime.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut

It looks like they had to put the drive side bearing inside the BB to make room for the transmission. But the left side has the double bearing.

Those parts don't look light, but i wasn't expecting them to be!

I like how it's mounted up to a Scott with the main pivot clearly way above the chainline:bonk:

OK i know the USA is where Truvativ is from, so why does news like this conme from some German website first??? Is this a press release or did they take it apart? Can anyone translate? Is it that they think the Gemans will adopt the system faster than us yanks? My guess anyway.

The pawls are visible there, due to it's size the engagement may be fairly quick..but my Nexus is similar size and the engagement is far too slow for technical offroad. This may be th biggest hurdle.

That's a 22t ring, i'm guessing that there will be no drag in the 22, but there will be some efficiency loss in the 2nd gear.

Ridge Rider

Chimp
Nov 11, 2005
I am also thinking about making a single speed frame into a 2 speed with the Hammershmidt. I have a 22 - 36 chainring set-up on my cross country bike. I have always resisted single speed due to the extreme grind up climbs. The other day I did a local cross country loop only using my middle (5th) cog in the back and using my front derailieur only. The climbs were manageable in the 22 and the flats and cruising downhills good in the 36. The only problem is that you need a frame with ISCG mounts.

For freeride I think the system will work best with a suspension design with minimal pedal kickback like an FSR or a low pivot single pivot.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
So the crank has engagement pawls, would that mean you can swift without pedaling?

Fixie rear hub on my new twin speed?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A "fixie" without the ability to use reverse leg power would be pretty useless IMO.
I was thinking more of the mod. trials bikes that ran the freewheel at the crank for more clearance, plus the chain would always spin for extra street cred.

:monkey:

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
so...., if they could get 2 gears out of that thing which isnt overly wide, could they devise somethinig that could get like 5 or 6 made to fit on a hub either to replace a free hub or go onto it insted of a cassette? I am not an engineer and do not understand how this works, but is it a possability or am I just way too uninformed?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm off for the official launch for 3 days with the SRAM boys starting monday. Should be an interesting product, that if it works as advertised, could have serious potential.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'll check it out in year two like any intelligent person who likes to finish rides with zero mechanicals would. That's the year when you go by the shop to buy it & they don't have a box of broken bits waiting to be mailed by to manufacturer "X".

I'll take an '06 Sunday please.
I'll take an '05 Boxxer Air please.
I'll take a '97 SRAM thumb shifter please.
I'll take a '99 Shimano DH pedal please.
I'll take a 2002 Manitou Dorado please.
I'll take a 2003 Romic rear shock please.
I'll take a 2005 I-Fly saddle please.
I'll take a 2007 Bobmer ATA please.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
maybe works like an enclosed shimano ff system back from the 70s. For the iscg tabs you can always get the adapter e13 makes and put it on your bb.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
so...., if they could get 2 gears out of that thing which isnt overly wide, could they devise somethinig that could get like 5 or 6 made to fit on a hub either to replace a free hub or go onto it insted of a cassette? I am not an engineer and do not understand how this works, but is it a possability or am I just way too uninformed?
you can get 3 gear ratios from a single planetary gearset.

they would have to add another gearset to the output of the first to obtain more gears. i think one of their primary concerns is compatibility with existing bikes and the device would be too wide if they added more gears

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
I'm off for the official launch for 3 days with the SRAM boys starting monday. Should be an interesting product, that if it works as advertised, could have serious potential.
Look forward to getting more info. Keep us posted...although I am sure if they are doing a press camp there will be no shortage of 1st person press releases.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
It's honestly not too bad, and ranks with other highend prices. Especailly considering it'll replace your f-der as well.

i really want one for my SS 29'er karate monkey...make it a 2-speed and open up some climbing options without having to build a new rear wheel.

i was originally excited about making my V10 a 2-speed with das haahmahshchmiddt, but ska todd raised a good point about the "granny gear" affect on pedaling.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I was originally excited about making my V10 a 2-speed with das haahmahshchmiddt, but ska todd raised a good point about the "granny gear" affect on pedaling.
VPP suspension pedals fine in granny gear, I think Todd's comments were more directed at single pivots, specifically high single pivots. Like pedalling a Bullit in the granny ring you'd get pedal kickback on every stroke, causing that "inchworm" feel.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
FYI, the official site has way more info than it used to have...some pdfs on install...little videos, etc.
so, the bike needs to have ISCG mounts?

it probably won't work with a BB pinch-type ISCG mount adapter, will it?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I wonder how much this thing will weigh and how much it will cost...

Maybe a 2 speed dh bike? Would there be any advantage about running like a 3 or 4 speed cassete in the back and a hammer schmidt in the front?

But then I couldn't get into the big gear and haul on the downhill bike... hmmmm, maybe my dj bike...