Quantcast

Just heard a band called Ministry

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
SkaredShtles said:
<shrug> All I know is that the song "Supernaut" sure did remind me of NIN.
Thanks dude... I feel really freakin' old now... :dead:

That's practically like saying you've never heard of the Beatles... Okay... maybe not that far... but most will get the idea... :mumble:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ian F said:
Thanks dude... I feel really freakin' old now... :dead:

That's practically like saying you've never heard of the Beatles... Okay... maybe not that far... but most will get the idea... :mumble:
How old are you? We're probably not that far apart. I just never got much into music.

And comparing Ministry to the Beatles in popularity terms? Are/were they *really* that popular? :confused:

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
BillT said:
I just saw Ministry with RevCo a couple of weekends ago - kick ass show! I actually thought RevCo sounded better (and they actually had Luc Van Acker which was a surprise) but Ministry was great and very, very loud.

If I remember correctly, Supernaut was done as a collaborative effort between Al and Trent so that may be why it sounded a bit like NIN.
I was so pissed that I missed that. I have seen Ministry MANY times and enjoyed every show. The last time I saw them, they were WAY to loud for the venue. Sounds like that was "by design".

I have been wanting to see RevCo ever since the Beers, Steers, and Qveers CD and have never made it. :mumble:

:nopity:

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
SkaredShtles said:
<shrug> All I know is that the song "Supernaut" sure did remind me of NIN.
Forgive me if this was pointed out already - I scanned the thread but did not see one glaring point that was missed: That is Trent Reznor singing on that track. That is probably why you thought it sounded similar to NIN.

Source:

http://www.nodevotion.com/ohdjs/

Some Industrial Nerd said:
Trent Reznor, while not (technically) credited in the insert, is responsible for the vocals on Supernaut. However, Trent's label at the time (TVT) threatened legal action if he performed on another label's release. The story goes that Al distorted Trent's voice to sound more like Al's, thus removing any proof that Trent performed on the disc at all. Years later, the original version with Trent's vocals intact was released on the Wax Trax! Black Box compilation. You can find out more about Trent Reznor at this Nine Inch Nails Page
Ministry and NIN have vastly different sounds if you sit down to listen to them. The closest NIN came to touching Ministry were the Broken and Fixed albums. Ministry, after their initial start as some sort of electro nonsense, are much heavier than NIN and more "rockish". Plus - Trent Reznor is a big whiny sissy who got his heart broken when he was in middle school and he never stopped writing about it.

Best Ministry albums in my opinion:

1. Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
2. Land of Rape and Honey
3. In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up
4. NWO