Quantcast

Just submitted an offer on my first home.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
SO our offer got accepted over the other 2 that the sellers had. We are officially in contract with our first home. Pretty crazy how quickly all of this has come together. Home inspections (pest and general home) are hopefully getting scheduled for tomorrow. Were also going to the city hall to check out all of the homes records sometime this week too.

I am pumped!

I didn't realize you and the wife were 78 years old. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
LOL

Honey, here's a shovel and a bag of bulbs. Get digging.

Oh, and I love you.

:thumb:

Edit: Good luck on the house hunting. I put in an offer on my place mid April, and finally closed July 1. Had to do battle with the seller's kids (seller just wanted out of the place) on the price. Had to do battle with the mortgage company on the appraisal (VT is kinda stagnant market, no comps). Super frustrating when you have 20%, 750+ credit, you're barely tapping into your income, and they still say no.

but it IS a sick pad. I wanna get up to do another weekend of digging before cold weather sets in. When's leaf season?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I doubt at that price in Santa Cruz it's anywhere NEAR what its peak price was.

Word. The desireable areas in Cali aren't really going do depreciate any more. You might fluctuate a few percent either way....but a SFR in an area like Santa Cruz is never going to hit 200K. It's a good investement, especially if you plan on being there for a while....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Right, and doesn't california also rank very high in the number of foreclosures and falling home prices? I thought they did.

Anyway, 400k for a 1,000 sq ft 2 bed, DAMN Cali is out of control for cost of living eh? I am trying to close on 3/4 acre, 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 2.5 bath, for 120k lol.
My sister's house is next to a house that is 5000sq ft, with a HUGE-a$$ 5-car garage, a pond, and 15 acres. Went into foreclosure after a divorce and the market tank. It sold for ~$210K recently. :shocked:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
SO our offer got accepted over the other 2 that the sellers had. We are officially in contract with our first home. Pretty crazy how quickly all of this has come together. Home inspections (pest and general home) are hopefully getting scheduled for tomorrow. Were also going to the city hall to check out all of the homes records sometime this week too.

I am pumped!

$744K? :shocked: Cali really is retarded. No wonder they picked Arnold to run it.

So...where does the ladder drop go? And the TLD banner?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes, cost of living in California is pretty nuts. But bear in mind its a coastal region (where a lot of the more expensive properties are), and it rains maybe 2 weeks total a year (at least in Socal).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
You guys have wives?

'Cause the average Ston^H^H^H^HJoker is talking about is AVERAGE. So when your wife demands a $50K kitchen remodel and $25K in landscaping that average starts to look realistic.

Single guys need not worry about this "average." :D
Fair enough.
I stand corrected :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If you're taking advise from a real estate agent who owns 40 properties, I'm even more confused and frankly SHOCKED. Not a realtor in the world with half a brain would ever buy a property for asking price.
Let's also not forget, the job of the realtor is to get the highest possible price for the seller, not get you the best deal. Yeah, I know they're real nice to you and want to help you out & all that, but keep in mind, they work for the buyer and it's the law.

One earthquake in CA and these prices drop 40% or more.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
and it rains maybe 2 weeks total a year (at least in Socal).
It rains a whole lot more than that in other parts of California... particularly in the north, Dec -> March, not to mention the snow in the sierras.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My sister's house is next to a house that is 5000sq ft, with a HUGE-a$$ 5-car garage, a pond, and 15 acres. Went into foreclosure after a divorce and the market tank. It sold for ~$210K recently. :shocked:
Wow definitely wouldn't find anything like that here. That sucks for your sister man. =\

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my buddy (jimmysal, posted earlier in thread) bought a decent sized house with a 2 car garage on about 23 acres for a price that would blow most people's minds

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

I am pumped!

Now the real fun starts.....

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Good luck, Joshy.

Again... Earthquake insurance is so frickin' expensive, I don't know anyone that has it. Our friends, nor our families carry earthquake insurance.

You're looking at over $200 per month, and something like a $50,000 deductible. It's absolutely retarded.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good luck TH!

For the naysayers, the variation in the California housing market is stunning. Yes, there are areas with literally dozens of foreclosures on every street, and the market may not have bottomed out in those areas yet. But there are also areas that will pretty much always be desirable, and Santa Cruz is one of them.

It probably seems crazy to some of you but I can look at that one picture and guess that $400K for that place is a good deal so long as there are no major issues.

I'm looking to buy a place in San Francisco, and even though prices have come down a bit - a bit - there are still lots of people at open houses, and with very few exceptions the homes I've been tracking are selling for asking price or more. And $400K barely gets you a studio in the areas I'm looking.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I doubt at that price in Santa Cruz it's anywhere NEAR what its peak price was.
Prices have fallen (a LOT), but who knows where the prices are going from here. When we bought at the end of '07 the price of our house had fallen ~33%, and has stayed relatively stable since then. However the NY market took another year/year and a half to drop, and then when it did Zillow thinks my parents house is worth maybe 1/2 of what it was in '07.

If you're planning on living there 10+ years don't bother trying to time the market. Prices could go up or down, mortgage rates can go up or down, etc. Buy it as a place to live, a place to (slowly) pay down/off your mortgage, and a place where you know that rent prices are never going to go up unexpectedly.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
was that who you visited in michigan?

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
Keep in mind that your expenses will run VERY high for the first 3-6 months owning the place. For me, the first 2 months were accompanied by an uptick of nearly 100% over my typical expenses. Now it's coming down to around 20% over what I anticipated.

You'll find yourself needing all sorts of stupid **** like lawnmowers, shovels, rakes, drills, etc. That doesn't even account for the previous owner's jackassery that slipped by on the home inspection and your personal inspections.

I know people advocate throwing everything you have at a down payment, but I think it is prudent to keep $5-10k liquid to cover these "incidental" expenses that homeownership seems to bring up. For reference, I budgeted a little over $22k when I closed on the place that jon mentioned above. Nearly $15k of that was for a tractor, snowblower, implements for road maintenance, and groundskeeping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nearly $15k of that was for a tractor, snowblower, implements for road maintenance, and groundskeeping.
it should be noted that it is a sweet ass tractor that made brush clearing for a pump track a piece of cake. Cleared and de-sodded around 4000sqf in less than 6 hours.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
it should be noted that it is a sweet ass tractor that made brush clearing for a pump track a piece of cake. Cleared and de-sodded around 4000sqf in less than 6 hours.
Then threw up the base for 2 180+ berms in another 6 hours.

Then it started vomiting hydraulic fluid all over the work area. :weee:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Now all you need are some kids so don't forget to factor that in :-)

Show us some more pictures of the house when its yours.

Only been to CA once back in 1992 so I just Google mapped Santa Cruz - that area looks really nice. At least from some random satellite :-)

Last edited:

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
Protips:

An electric lawnmower is not a lawnmower.
An electric weed whacker is not a weed whacker.
An electric chainsaw is not a chainsaw.
An electric hedge trimmer is not a hedge trimmer.

Electric tools are meant to be used inside. Gas tools are meant to be used outside. Anything that looks like an outside tool but is powered by electricity is merely an expensive toy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I know people advocate throwing everything you have at a down payment, but I think it is prudent to keep $5-10k liquid to cover these "incidental" expenses that homeownership seems to bring up. For reference, I budgeted a little over $22k when I closed on the place that jon mentioned above. Nearly $15k of that was for a tractor, snowblower, implements for road maintenance, and groundskeeping.
Buying a house from an old retired couple (and ex-marine) that was moving to a condo across the country = came with snowblower, tractor, weedwacker, hedge trimmers, rakes/shovels, all appliances (including brand new front load washer and dryer) = epic win.:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Protips:

An electric lawnmower is not a lawnmower.
An electric weed whacker is not a weed whacker.
An electric chainsaw is not a chainsaw.
An electric hedge trimmer is not a hedge trimmer.

Electric tools are meant to be used inside. Gas tools are meant to be used outside. Anything that looks like an outside tool but is powered by electricity is merely an expensive toy.
If you require a gas yard tool you have WAY too much $hit in your yard to maintain. That's a tip coming from a non-pro yard guy who has all electric yard tools and has for his entire house-owning life.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
Buying a house from an old retired couple (and ex-marine) that was moving to a condo across the country = came with snowblower, tractor, weedwacker, hedge trimmers, rakes/shovels, all appliances (including brand new front load washer and dryer) = epic win.:D
Lucky stuff man, I envy you. The previous owner had a riding lawnmower, but I wanted a tractor.

If you require a gas yard tool you have WAY too much $hit in your yard to maintain. That's a tip coming from a non-pro yard guy who has all electric yard tools and has for his entire house-owning life.
I mow 3 acres every week. I cut down trees, skid the logs out of the woods, and chop them to offset my heating costs. I grade my own driveway so my girl can get in and out in her car. Come winter, I'll have to clear 1200' of driveway every time it snows. It may seem like a bit much, but consider this: I can ride downhill, cross country, ladders, trials, and a pump track without leaving my property.

Win some, lose some.

Edit:

What I was getting at wasn't so much a flat out writeoff of electric yard tools, only a warning that you get what you pay for. Most of my experience may not really be pertinent to someone in the suburbs, I realize that because the last house I bought was in a development.

My main point was, get ready to spend a lot more money on things you didn't know you needed to buy, and get ready to do work on things you didn't know you needed to do.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
I mow 3 acres every week. I cut down trees, skid the logs out of the woods, and chop them to offset my heating costs. I grade my own driveway so my girl can get in and out in her car. Come winter, I'll have to clear 1200' of driveway every time it snows.
Good on ya. I prefer dense development and driving a bit to get to:

Trade offs I can live with...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lucky stuff man, I envy you. The previous owner had a riding lawnmower, but I wanted a tractor.

I mow 3 acres every week. I cut down trees, skid the logs out of the woods, and chop them to offset my heating costs. I grade my own driveway so my girl can get in and out in her car. Come winter, I'll have to clear 1200' of driveway every time it snows. It may seem like a bit much, but consider this: I can ride downhill, cross country, ladders, trials, and a pump track without leaving my property.

Win some, lose some.

Edit:

What I was getting at wasn't so much a flat out writeoff of electric yard tools, only a warning that you get what you pay for. Most of my experience may not really be pertinent to someone in the suburbs, I realize that because the last house I bought was in a development.

My main point was, get ready to spend a lot more money on things you didn't know you needed to buy, and get ready to do work on things you didn't know you needed to do.
tl;dr version:

electric yards tools? ymmv

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
While I wouldn't NOT do one, home inspections are such a scam.......

(oh and congrats)
Ours saved us probably 5,000-6,000, including a new furnace. Pretty good $500 investment...

(Things noticed in addition to said furnace: overloaded fuse box, live wire in the basement, open junction boxes in the attic, non-regulation plumbing, a tree that could pose a structural problem, etc. The report was about 17 pages long, and we cherry-picked 3 of the bigger problems to demand money off for, electrical, plumbing and the tree. They installed a new furnace without our even asking once we showed them the report.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ours saved us probably 5,000-6,000, including a new furnace. Pretty good $500 investment...

(Things noticed in addition to said furnace: overloaded fuse box, live wire in the basement, open junction boxes in the attic, non-regulation plumbing, a tree that could pose a structural problem, etc. The report was about 17 pages long, and we cherry-picked 3 of the bigger problems to demand money off for, electrical, plumbing and the tree. They installed a new furnace without our even asking once we showed them the report.)
maybe they're just a scam in canada ;)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Ahh... hopefully they didn't install a total cheap-a$$ crap furnace? When we bought the furnace had a cracked heat exchanger but we chose to just deduct $$$ so we could pick the furnace...
Yup on the cheap ass crap furnace... Although even the lower-cost ones today are light years ahead of the ones from 30 years ago. We would've taken the $$$ and gotten a better one, but by the time we heard about it it was already replaced. Ours had the same cracked heat exchanger. Wonder how many of those are out there in people's homes.