Quantcast

Katipo Collection.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Only thing I'd improve is the graphics on the frame. They should be in white with a black outline. That is all :D

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Yeah I thought about white decals after Scott suggested it. Then I thought about white with black outline like you say, but in the end I settled on plain black - I like the simplicity of it. The red looks kinda orangey in the pics for some reason, it's more plain red to the naked eye.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Hi Tim,

The bike looks hot!
Makes all the hard work worth it to see something turn out so sweet!
Good work on the build:thumb:
Really looking forward to hearing how she rolls.

I'll have the next one finished in about two weeks time.

Scott

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Scott - I really appreciate all the hard work man, you've done an outstanding job!
Thanks also for preparing the frame ready for build - providing the shock mounting hardware and facing the BB and headtube - really helped the build go nice and smoothly, cheers.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Scott - I really appreciate all the hard work man, you've done an outstanding job!
Thanks also for preparing the frame ready for build - providing the shock mounting hardware and facing the BB and headtube - really helped the build go nice and smoothly, cheers.
Cheap or not, I would have given him a slap if he hadn't done that :D :P

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
So here it is, my new ride!

The frame finally arrived on Friday. I know you guys like pics so here you go:

Huge props to Scott the frame builder - he kept me up to date by email on an almost daily basis on the progress of build and posting etc. Legend! Cheers Scott!!

I'd be interested to know what you all think please?
Hey,
I talked with Scott a few months ago about putting an SRS+ on the Katipo. One suggestion would be to switch the backplate angle to Regular or Wide if possible and/or as the frame allows.

While we don't have a backplate specifically for frame mounted idlers (yet?) the Wide angle of the backplate would be your best bet.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Well that SRS+ fitted on there perfect. The ISCG tabs are rotated to allow for the chainline via the idler. That actually has the setting in narrow there, this helps the chain clear the bottom chainstay easier but this is specific to the Katipo - it might not be the same for other designs with idlers as it is...

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Yeah I'll be able to give a full (Alpine) ride report after next week :)

In the mean time, I took some proper side on shots.
I know I like to see these of bikes to get a good view of the angles, so figured others might like to see these..

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Dirtdigger,

have you considered making your shock shuttle with bolt slots rather than bolt holes to allow for greater geo customization?

There's not a lot of room for adjustment in the linkage design, I'm not a big fan of having lots of adjustments or complexity.

also the rear end squats with rear braking and I use this to help alter the ride,

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
There's not a lot of room for adjustment in the linkage design, I'm not a big fan of having lots of adjustments or complexity.

also the rear end squats with rear braking and I use this to help alter the ride,
I see. When you say "room for adjustment in the linkage design", do you mean on your end or the rider/owner's end?

I agree that too many variables together on the same frame can be bad, and will almost definitely end up with under-experienced owners finding the worst possible combination... :D

But, I do think a simple slotted shock mount would be an easy way for techie owners that ride different terrain to tinker with HA and BB height without altering other ride characteristics... (maybe as an optional piece?)

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing to be contrary... in fact I think what you're doing is completely rad. I'm not bantering back and forth with bigger frame makers for one reason... they won't listen.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
I see. When you say "room for adjustment in the linkage design", do you mean on your end or the rider/owner's end?

I agree that too many variables together on the same frame can be bad, and will almost definitely end up with under-experienced owners finding the worst possible combination... :D

But, I do think a simple slotted shock mount would be an easy way for techie owners that ride different terrain to tinker with HA and BB height without altering other ride characteristics... (maybe as an optional piece?)

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing to be contrary... in fact I think what you're doing is completely rad. I'm not bantering back and forth with bigger frame makers for one reason... they won't listen.

A micro adjustable shock mount is a neat idea, for now another set of shock mounts would do the trick.
All input is good and there's lots of things I'd like to do but don't have time or resources at the moment, but who knows what might come next, I've only just got started :thumb:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
That is a sweet little bike. If I wasn't in the midst of getting my own done I'd snap one of them up instantly. It's frames like this that make people realize what a rip off most frames are, ie this ones made in very small amounts, by a bloke in NZ and it costs less than half of frames made in Taiwan.

On the geometry adjustment, it's a bad idea with a linkage bike to have an adjustable shock shuttle, as you'll change all the rates when you move the shock forward or back. A far better option is to have adjustable dropouts and head tube, so you can adjust BB height and HA without effecting suspension action. Personally, I just like it low and slack as hell.

What shock size do these run?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
don't do slotted shock shuttle holes, santa cruz did this on the original bullit but it never stayed in the steeper position. It would always slide into the slackest position during a ride. later they went to a 2 position shuttle.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
That is a sweet little bike. If I wasn't in the midst of getting my own done I'd snap one of them up instantly. It's frames like this that make people realize what a rip off most frames are, ie this ones made in very small amounts, by a bloke in NZ and it costs less than half of frames made in Taiwan.

On the geometry adjustment, it's a bad idea with a linkage bike to have an adjustable shock shuttle, as you'll change all the rates when you move the shock forward or back. A far better option is to have adjustable dropouts and head tube, so you can adjust BB height and HA without effecting suspension action. Personally, I just like it low and slack as hell.

I agree with you on the first point :thumb:, though at the moment I personally see no reason to have anything adjustable on my frame (its perfect as it is and I also like simple) though I can see why it would be a good feature for some, but I have to say I also think slot holes are a bad idea for the reasons you and joelsman have said. Dropouts and headtube would be the way to go.

The shock size is optional and, funnily enough, can be changed by moving the shock shuttle. You can have either a 222 x 70mm giving 7.8" travel or mount the shuttle further forward and have a 240 x 75mm giving 8.2" travel.
I've got a 222 x 70 in there at the moment.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...

Umm... actually no you wouldn't. At all. Sorry about that.

And.... adjustable dropouts are a far more complex way of achieving the same goal.

And... slack and low as hell? How about a 10" BB with a 47* HA?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
don't do slotted shock shuttle holes, santa cruz did this on the original bullit but it never stayed in the steeper position. It would always slide into the slackest position during a ride. later they went to a 2 position shuttle.

Jesus Christ, really buddy? I know about the gen 1 bullit. The first airplane wasn't exactly fit for intercontinental flight, so I guess a trip to europe is out of the question?

Put some knurling on the slotted pieces and machine the slots at greatly opposing angle...physics isn't rocket surgery.

If the world would only shut up and listen....

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Umm... actually no you wouldn't. At all. Sorry about that.
Ummm...actually, yes it would.

You haven't actually been labouring under the pretence that bikes maintain a constant leverage ratio throughout their entire travel, have you?

Most bikes have a leverage ratio that transmutes throughout, (e.g. changing from 3:1 at the beginning of the shock's stroke to 2:1 at the end of the shock's stroke, see Yeti 303).

If you have a sliding shock mount, the start and end of that travel leverage ratio changes. Leverage ratio might move instead to something like 2.8:1 at the beginning of the shock's stroke to 1.8:1 at the end (purely hypothetical examples)

physics isn't rocket surgery
And yet you still can't comprehend the basics.

A lesson in irony, a**hole.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Unlike airoplanes, a slotted bolt hole is still a slotted bolt hole, and I too think it's a bad idea.
Multiple holes maybe, and with multiple holes on both shuttle and frame, at slightly different spacing between holes, you could have even smaller increments between position options.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
What's the geometry with both those shock sizes? Do you have a website (I can't find one)?

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
What's the geometry with both those shock sizes? Do you have a website (I can't find one)?
The point of the shock shuttle is that the geo doesn't change whichever shock size you have. :thumb:

Static Geo for my bike is:

HA: 64°
BB Height: 14"
WB: 47"
CS: 16.75"

But I think this can be tweaked for any individual build.

There is no website as yet I believe, Scott's only just started up as he said.. I'm sure he'll be able to answer for himself though...

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
thats without the shock yes? so what, 700 after shipping and taxes? my god. Sorry avout the questions, but what was the waiting time?

b-b-b-b-ut....i could afford like a BOs shock with that and have change if i get a replacement frame off trek.....oh...oh god. i need some time alone.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
thats without the shock yes? so what, 700 after shipping and taxes? my god. Sorry avout the questions, but what was the waiting time?

b-b-b-b-ut....i could afford like a BOs shock with that and have change if i get a replacement frame off trek.....oh...oh god. i need some time alone.
Yes and yes. Mine took 4 months from order to delivery but NZ customs held it for 3 weeks.. An Scott didn't start building it until a month after order..

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
sweet Bejesus 4 months?

Well thats a turnoff.
That really isn't that bad. I have waited longer for frames and they didn't even offer the option of custom geo....which I believe these do?

If this is too long, simply ride what you have and enjoy the rest of summer, sell that bike when the season is over and place your order so you have the new bike come spring time. They look like they would be worth the wait.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Here in britain, the season never ends buddy, it just gets colder, wetter, and more british. Haha, Hmm, the price is very tempting, Gridds how does it ride? i know you said you have had a proper test but initial impressions?

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Initial impressions are all very good! I have been ragging it round on pretty flat ground near my house a bit and there are many things which instantly scream at me: Firstly - stiffness. A really tight back end with short swingarm along with properly made custom main pivot bolt mean there is practically no lateral flex. This is such a nice feeling in the ride!
The second thing I noticed was the geometry feels mint - just what I wanted and I can already feel a huge benefit in the longer, lower, slacker frame. Well easy to carve turns, the short back end making it surprisingly nimble and tight turning. I've also got used to popping the front up and manualling it better now, very different to the Scarab for all the expected reasons - lower BB, higher pivot, longer reach, but now it feels nice and natural.
There is the obvious benefit of the high single pivot - rearward axle path - big 'square edge' bumps disappear under it without jarring through the frame and don't slow you down. Also no nasty pedal feedback thanks to the idler.
It does pedal well! I've turned the pro-pedal all the way off and can't see or feel any 'pedal bob' when sprinting the thing. I wonder though if putting the pro-pedal on a bit I might get some compression damping (?) but really need to play with that on a proper downhill course to dial it I suppose. Not really had the chance to bottom it out yet but the suspension ramps up nicely and how I want it to just from what I can do by bouncing on it, so far feels pretty bottomless and plush.
I have noticed one slight niggle - the air pressure valve on the shock is nearly impossible to access without taking the shock off or at least un-bolting one end of it, but the pressure was set by TF Tuned and I doubt I'll be playing with it that much. If I had a longer shock (a 3" stroke one taking the travel up to 8.5") so the shock shuttle was mounted further forward, and hence as would the reservoir, it might be a bit easier to get to. This minor issue doesn't bother me so much though as the design of the frame is pretty much perfect in every other way.

In summary, so far, I'm seriously impressed! With the ride and the build quality of the frame - the details in the design are so good. It really is begging to be absolutely ragged downhill fast and thrown hard into turns.

Next week I'll be doing just that in the Italian, French and Swiss Alps.
I can't bloody wait!!!

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Public apology...

Whoa... I just read what I posted last night and I realize now that both my computer and my phone need breathalizers on them.

Dilzy and Joelsman, I'm sorry guys I was drunk, obnoxious, and wrong.

Sorry also to dirtdigger, as I understand a thread like this is a boon to your new business and you don't need jerks posting nonsense...

WTF was I even doing online at 4am.....?

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Ok here's another one fresh off the line :)

This one is for a mate, built up from his old demo 7 and other bits I had floating around the shed, hes not into internet forums (hardly knows how to use a computer ) so thought I'd post it up, not done the decals yet as looking into updating them.

The next one is coming along nicely :thumb:

(Edit- if you go to "new reply" the pics look a lot better)

Last edited: