Quantcast

Kayak Project

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Next, I removed the copper stiches and sealed the seams. Once cured, I sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more. :dead:

Smooth as a baby's butt:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Now the 'glassing. For strength, the entire boat is sheathed in fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

***edit: Missing attachments were accidentally deleted. All the pictures are here, but I'm too lazy to go through the posts and link them. ***

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
At least three coats of epoxy go on the cloth. The first makes it stick. The others fill the weave for a nice smooth hull. Here she is half "wetted out."

Originally posted by BikeGeek
The kit came with MAS Epoxy.

I'm getting conflicting info. The boat company web page reads: "there is no odor from our MAS epoxies, and MAS epoxies present no explosion hazard....CLC epoxy is not solvent-based and has almost no odor...."

The MAS epoxy web page reads: "Avoid breathing vapors. Use epoxy only in areas with good ventilation. In small areas, be careful have a supply of fresh air and to exhaust any fumes. Wear a respirator with an organic vapor cartridge."

:confused:

My workshop is pretty well ventilated with an exhaust fan that draws fresh air in from an open window across the room.
Let me put it very short and simple: IT WILL FVCK YOU UP. Ask 'em for a material safety data sheet (MSDS). Get a proper respirator and learn how to maintain it.

J

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Let me put it very short and simple: IT WILL FVCK YOU UP. Ask 'em for a material safety data sheet (MSDS). Get a proper respirator and learn how to maintain it.

J
Better safe than Fvcked up. :) I'll pick one up after work today. Thanks.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was happy to see the bottle of beer... life is good. :)

While I am no expert...

A kayak hull will last your lifetime but the hardware won't... when it come time to replace or upgrade your foot rests mounting holes will come in handy.

Are you going to install a rudder system? I can't imagine touring without a rudder, sometimes you just get tired and a rudder can save your ass, especially in windy conditions.

I admire wood kayaks - they are so attractive when done right. I don't have the patience though... mine is prefab Seda Glider, I love it. :)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I was happy to see the bottle of beer... life is good. :)

While I am no expert...

A kayak hull will last your lifetime but the hardware won't... when it come time to replace or upgrade your foot rests mounting holes will come in handy.

Are you going to install a rudder system? I can't imagine touring without a rudder, sometimes you just get tired and a rudder can save your ass, especially in windy conditions.

I admire wood kayaks - they are so attractive when done right. I don't have the patience though... mine is prefab Seda Glider, I love it. :)
I'm mounting these inside:

You can't really tell from that picture, but they're threaded. The base is embedded in epoxy and fiberglass inside the cockpit, then the footbraces go on and get tightened down with a marine hex nut.

For now, I'm going without the rudder. I may retrofit a retractable skeg at some point to help keep me tracking straight.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
With a clear center line you will have no trouble tracking without a skeg, a rudder is handy for rough and windy conditions but the pros all have the insane ability to trim in 40 MPH winds... I need a rudder. :D

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That's looking sweet! :thumb: Cant wait to see the finished product. Still haven't bought my plastic one yet, and maybe I'll hold off and build one myself now that I see what you've got coming. Nice!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by peter6061
That's looking sweet! :thumb: Cant wait to see the finished product. Still haven't bought my plastic one yet, and maybe I'll hold off and build one myself now that I see what you've got coming. Nice!
If you've got the room to do it, I say go for it. It's a lot easier than I anticipated.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man. I would have no use for a Kayak, and I don't need any more expensive ways to use my spare time. But that project looks freakin' AWESOME. :thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Every year the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum offers the Champlain Discovery program - a bunch of kids build kayaks and then take a long trip on the lake. I go over every year to look at their boats.

J
That's cool. If I ever get up there I'll have to see if I can get involved. They look like the same kit I'm building.

I've been eyeing up these cedar strip kayaks for my next project:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by slowSSer
hmm. follow my evil plan:

make a ****eload of money (hard part)
get a house with a garage
build a kayak!

hmm. I like! thanks for the inspiraton! (not that working in the kayaking department at REI has helped that- oh well)
The CLC Boat company site has a link to a webpage of a woman that built her's in her 3rd floor studio apartment in Manhattan, then lowered it out the window. :eek:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
The CLC Boat company site has a link to a webpage of a woman that built her's in her 3rd floor studio apartment in Manhattan, then lowered it out the window. :eek:

cool. not like they're that heavy either.

jibco

Chimp
Feb 5, 2004
Littleton, CO
Thats wild. She must have lost a few brain cells living in the workshop with the epoxy.

Your boat looks awesome. I miss Annapolis, I grew up there.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by crono35
you're insane... i spent a day building a fiberglass enclosure for my sub, and i thought that was hell.
Damn! Here I thought I was badass for building a kayak and you have a freakin' sub!

;)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Ian F
Looking good! :thumb:

How did you fix that flat-spot in the hull?
Yossarian advised fitting the bulkhead and checking the flat spot again and that took care of most of it. The rest came out with tightening of some wires and loosening of others, kind of like truing a wheel.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Yossarian advised fitting the bulkhead and checking the flat spot again and that took care of most of it. The rest came out with tightening of some wires and loosening of others, kind of like truing a wheel.
I did? wow, it must have been one of my more inspired and lucid moments.

It is looking good.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Good news! The new owner of my sister's house has agreed to rent the garage to me for several months so I can finish this thing up before moving it. :D

More pictures soon.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You mean it hasn't hit the water yet??? :p
HA! Slowly but surely.

I should get the rest of the deck on this weekend, trim the excess, and hopefully get a start on the deck 'glass. After that, the combing goes on, then it's sanding and paint and/or varnish.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Arent kiyaks usually fiberglass so they can take a punch from a rock and whatnot?

Not insulting your superb work, Im just curious... How sturdy the wood is going to be when you smack something?
Check the pics a couple of pages ago where the entire boat is encased in fiberglass and epoxy. You end up with the beauty of a wood boat, but the strength of a fiberglass one. I've also added extra 'glass on the keel line to give it a bit more durability.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
First off all, i really dig your project BG, it's looking very nice :D

Did you consider to build it with carbonfibre instead...? A mate of mine has completed his wood/carbon kayak just weeks ago, and it's soo light... as far as i know, you could have done it with glassfiber resin, and just used carbonfibre instead of fiber...

I tell ya' it's looking stealth with a black carbon bottom, and a wood upperhull... :devil:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Steen Good Legs
First off all, i really dig your project BG, it's looking very nice :D

Did you consider to build it with carbonfibre instead...? A mate of mine has completed his wood/carbon kayak just weeks ago, and it's soo light... as far as i know, you could have done it with glassfiber resin, and just used carbonfibre instead of fiber...

I tell ya' it's looking stealth with a black carbon bottom, and a wood upperhull... :devil:
I'll bet that looks cool. I've been thinking about options like that for the next boat.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Check the pics a couple of pages ago where the entire boat is encased in fiberglass and epoxy. You end up with the beauty of a wood boat, but the strength of a fiberglass one. I've also added extra 'glass on the keel line to give it a bit more durability.
Nice!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Almost done. I got the deck on before the wedding. All that remains is deck 'glassing, cutting hatches, installing the coaming, painting, and rigging. :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's DONE!

Well, construction is done....finally. I still have some finishing work to do. It took way longer than I thought and come out nicer than I had hoped. :D

More Pics