Quantcast

Kayak Project

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek, awesome work!!! That's some real talent you've got there. Congrats on finally finishing it. Now you need a garage of your own to store it in. :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
WOW...that is awesome!! I just saw this thread now :think:

When I lived back home in the Maritimes, I used to Kayak a lot. I had a Sealution (see pic) but my friend made his own, hand-made, Kayak - was nice, but didn't have nice curvy line like yours! My hats off to you - making a Kayak is not an easy task.

I'm sure it will bring you hours of pleasure!!

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Sweet work, now you've got me wondering where I stashed my Redfish Spring Run plans. I've been putting that project off for a couple of years.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get it wet!

ssk: The Spring Run is cedar strip right? I want to do a strip boat next. Or maybe a hybrid of the one I just built, but with a strip deck.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That looks sweet.

My wife and I just got our (plastic) boats this week and are anxious to get them out this weekend. Seeing yours and the progress over the last several months has really been inspiring. Now that we have a garage, I'm really tempted to start a project like that myself (once I have a season or so of kayaking under my belt so that I know what I like).

Beautiful work, man.

Go get it wet.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
Wow! That is a work of art!! when do you take it out for it's maiden voyage?? Great work!!
It's just an epoxy finish now and sunlight kills epoxy. I've got 2-4 coats of paint to go on the hull and 5-7 coats of varnish on the deck before it hits water, hopefully by the end of September. It may show up at a fall Kingdom Trails gathering if one goes down. My wife and I will do a day on bikes and then a day on the water at one of the local lakes. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Awesome! Thanks for the bump.

Good thing I didn't remember about this at the Monkeyfest, you would have been stuck talking about it for hours :p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Ian F said:
NICE!!! :thumb:

Looks like you're doing an end-pour in that pic. ;)

Get a finish on that sucker and get her in the water!!

Yup! I didn't trust the recommended "build a dam and pour it in" method.

Final sanding and first coat of primer happens tomorrow. :D

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
BikeGeek said:
Yup! I didn't trust the recommended "build a dam and pour it in" method.

Final sanding and first coat of primer happens tomorrow. :D
I hear ya... when I helped my buddy build his, the end-pour was one of the biggests PITA parts of building it. He had to do the dam-thing as he didn't have anywhere to stand it on end.

He didn't go too nuts on the finish. His theory is it's just going to scratched up anyway... He did some camping up in Maine (island to island) a few years ago and that beat up the boat quite a bit.

What color are you painting it? I've read yellow and red are the best as they're most visible to other boaters. White, although it looks nice, tends to blend into the white-caps. My buddy went all natural - just epoxy and varnish. I'll probably go with red when the time comes.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Yellow and red are also the worst covering paints, ie. double the coats vs. other colors. I wanted to do red, but my desire to get this thing in the water soon has won, so I'm doing white. I may go with something else once it's time to touch up.

I'd love to go with just varnish, but wasn't careful enough with the hull work. There are several very obvious blunders that will disappear nicely under the paint.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BikeGeek said:
Yellow and red are also the worst covering paints, ie. double the coats vs. other colors. I wanted to do red, but my desire to get this thing in the water soon has won, so I'm doing white. I may go with something else once it's time to touch up.

I'd love to go with just varnish, but wasn't careful enough with the hull work. There are several very obvious blunders that will disappear nicely under the paint.
You should at least leave the top area just varnish... that would look sweet :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
golgiaparatus said:
You should at least leave the top area just varnish... that would look sweet :D
No doubt. It's called a small yacht finish. The paint will overlap the deck by an inch or 2 all around. Like this:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BikeGeek said:
Thanks. Where are you heading, bay? Potomac?

What size boats did you get?
We got some Wilderness Systems Tempest 170s (17')

This weekend we're heading out to do a quick class (mainly to get my wife familiarized with the boat) to pick up some pointers.

As a guy, I usually learn by doing as opposed to by being taught. (kind of like reading the instructions) <-ha

Next weekend I hope to get out to either Mason Neck or Piscataway Creek

Where you heading with yours?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BikeGeek said:
It's finally done!

Wow! :drool: :drool:

Congratulations! That's one beautiful piece of work. I'm really digging the yacht finish with the top portions left as natural wood. :thumb:

J

JRB

I wish my friend Charlie would wear a shirt when he sends us pics of his, but I'll post it anyway.

Attachments

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Wow, that's very nice. My father in law built his own also and it gets non-stop attention. While the compliments are nice the wake from gawking lobster and tuna boats gets old (and wet). enjoy.