Quantcast

knee / shin pads

HH310

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
I'm looking for a knee / shin pad that STAYS IN PLACE. They are for DH only. Don't really care about the heat as long as the protection is there. Currently have the 661 race. They suck. Top flips down when you wreck & slide down the leg everytime you straighten then bend the knee. I've seen threads about knee pads only staying in place but need shin protection also. Most shin protectors seem to not have the hard outer shell. This is a must due to rocky conditions.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Adding this one to the FAQ too since I think it's worth centralizing discussion.

I am not a fan of my Raceface rallys and I would not suggest them to others. They flopped down continually until I wrenched the upper staps tight, which rubs the back of my knee. There has to be a better way. They are full coverage and they do a great job of protecting your shins, but upper knee coverage is lacking in my opinion....plus quality is terrible...mine are coming apart at the seems on the plastic panels, after a year and a half.

I'd like to try their D30 flank pads, but the quality of the rallys is inadequate to get me to shell out another 90 on first year pads.

I have heard mostly good things about the fox launch pads, which are relatively cheap, and good things about the POCs, which are wildly expensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the POC VPD knee pads. They are incredible. I have been using them since the beginning of the season and they have not moved on me once (and they don't shift when pedaling). The design on them is top notch, same with workmanship - tho I have heard of others having issues. At the top of the knee pad on the inside is a rubberized panel to maintain grip, and it does its job very, very well. Yes, they are warm, but I consider this to be an acceptable tradeoff.

If the knee/shin combo (the VPD ones, not the plastic shell ones) is similar to the knee pads (I imagine they are), then they might be what you're looking for. Yes, they are pricey, but IMO worth every cent.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I use the older version of these: http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=d914a66c-9ff3-4509-ba56-4e82df24c718&product=ae91d889-20ba-498b-bc5e-9dfa9662af61

They are light as heck and only have 2 small straps behind the knee...TBH..I am having trouble understanding why you are having probs with the "race" model flopping down...they have the integrated sleeve/sock as well as 2 straps above at the knee...I tried them and personally felt like my knees were in a neoprene vice...but I've had surgery on both knees and simply can not stand ANY material behind my knee bunching up while pedalling and causing raw spots...maybe I thinking about a different pad...but the "race" model available now seems like it stay on your knee throught even the most catastrophic crash???

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've had the same dilemma, and along the way have tried 661 4x4 (top of knee protection lacking), Race Face Rally FR (same issue as the 4x4), and for trail riding I've used Kyle Straights and 661 Evo knees. The Straight and Evo knees protect the top of knee, but as mentioned by the OP, I wanted hard shell and shin protection for DH.

For this year, for DH I switched to moto pants with moto knee/shin guards and it's working out pretty well. I've only had one wreck that could have banged up my knees/legs and the system worked- the only damage was a small strawberry from the pad rotating a little on my skin. Basically, the pants hold the pad from moving around too much without being hot, restrictive or bulky.
Is it perfect? No, but it works pretty darn well. The top of my knee/lower thigh is protected by the moto pants, which don't really have padding, so that would be the one thing I'd like to improve. I think the way to accomplish this is with padded shorts that go all the way down to the top of knee- this would protect the top of knee while still allowing plenty of movement sans pad bunching.

HH310

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
It doesn't fold down as bad as other brands collecting dust in my basement. It's terrible at staying on the knee cap. once the leg is bent then straightend the knee cup is now more of a upper shin / patella protector so the knee cap / upper knee is now only covered by the sleeve. I've spoken / ridden with numerous DH'rs using these & they all have the same issue of them sliding down the leg. There not designed will for skinny legs.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I was looking at those Alpine Stars models that Minaarr uses the other day. They look amazingly well built and fit like a errrrr glove? I'll be getting those next time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sicklines had a good review of the alpinestars...particularly of interest was the silicon lining...should do wonders at keeping the the pads from slipping...but will probably leave a nasty mark after 8 hours of riding.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I have the POC VPD knee pads. They are incredible. I have been using them since the beginning of the season and they have not moved on me once (and they don't shift when pedaling). The design on them is top notch, same with workmanship - tho I have heard of others having issues. At the top of the knee pad on the inside is a rubberized panel to maintain grip, and it does its job very, very well. Yes, they are warm, but I consider this to be an acceptable tradeoff.

If the knee/shin combo (the VPD ones, not the plastic shell ones) is similar to the knee pads (I imagine they are), then they might be what you're looking for. Yes, they are pricey, but IMO worth every cent.
:thumb: on general principal, i hate agreeing with the krankmeister general, but in this case i have to. i've been running the POC Bone knee/shin combo and they are expensive, but solid. they do twist a bit to the outside after a few lift runs, but nothing that isn't quickly and easily fixed with a little tug. they don't restrict pedaling at all. i've only had one crash in them and they stayed put when i layed it down in a blown-out berm. i've got the elbow/forearm bone guards as well and i managed to get a minor abrasion (size of a dime) and a bump on the forearm through the pads, but they stayed put and probably absorbed what would have been a much nastier impact. now that i'm old and flimsy, i'm considering going to the vest for the total package.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
i've been running the POC Bone knee/shin combo and they are expensive, but solid. they do twist a bit to the outside after a few lift runs, but nothing that isn't quickly and easily fixed with a little tug. they don't restrict pedaling at all.
I tried some on the other day. I really like the hinged design at the knee and using VPD for the thigh/upper knee section. However, I tried both the medium and the small and both twisted when I gave them a good push. Dainese mediums usually fit me perfectly as I don't have large knees/shins. Bottom line - seems like these would be great if they fit your body type, but try before buying.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I use the dainese 3x shinguards and I find them pretty good at protecting me. They sometimes slip a little, but all they need is a little tug to get them back into place. The only con about them is the poor protection of the sides of my knees, but I haven't had much problems with that except scrapes and bruises. I guess that all strap-on shinguards on the market are lacking in the area of protection of the sides.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is pretty personal. Previous poster loves the Fox; I can't stand them. Stupid clips catch on the bike and pads come flying off. I bought a set a RF, then returned them after riding for 20min. Hot, no flexibility, and only stay up cause they push on the top of you shoe.

I tried a bunch on in Whistler last week. The POS stuff looks good. They have an articulated hinge that should keep them up. The AlpineStars look good too.

I have decided that trading a pad that stays up for shin protection is worth it. I've been rocking the TLDs for 3 seasons now.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I have been having this exact same dilema, knee protection is the most improtant thing for me and I think fabric stlye knee pads are the best for that, but stitches are no fun so I'm not willing to miss out on shin protection. So, I've just bought some knee pads, and when they arrive I'm going to have a look and see if I can stitch/velcro in some shin protection myself. I plan on chopping up a cheap pair of knee shins, I'll try and remember to post pics up if/when I get round to doing it. I have a mate who did the same thing with some articulated MX style knee protection that didn't cover enough of his shin, and as far as I know they worked a treat.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Raceface Rallys have worked well for me. I like full leg coverage and have never had an issue with them coming off during crashes. POC's I tried once at PLatty when I forgot my Pads last year and hated it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I switched from Race Face DHs after taking a stem to the knee where the pads conveniently moved out of place... :think:

Not willing to sacrifice shin coverage, I now have the Fox Launch. Have used them for the second half of the season, and I've been amazed at how well they stay put, and how well ventilated they are. Seriously, they don't move, even after pedalling for ten minutes straight, or after a full day of riding at Whistler. I'm impressed. Can't comment on the durability of the tabs yet, but I'm willing to guess they will outlast the stitching or the webbing.

So far so good. I highly recommend them. :thumb: :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Raceface Rallys have worked well for me. I like full leg coverage and have never had an issue with them coming off during crashes. POC's I tried once at PLatty when I forgot my Pads last year and hated it.
they were the plastic shell ones then. NOT the VPD ones. POC VPD knees rule them all.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I was looking at those Alpine Stars models that Minaarr uses the other day. They look amazingly well built and fit like a errrrr glove? I'll be getting those next time.
Astars MOAB knee shin pads. awesome build quality. Will not come off in a crash. You can fit it without having to remove your shoes, which is always convenient.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any updates to the list/favorites? I want some new knee/shin pads since my racefaces are finally getting tired enough to be replaced, and I hate them.

I see the POC VPD shins, and the raceface flank...both of those look pretty rad.

Any comments on the D30/VPD/ETC knee pads? I know the current trend is to run knee pads only, but even with stealth rubber I'm afraid of removing my shins...do those pads provide reasonable coverage to the upper part of the lower leg?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I have skinny legs, and have tried heaps and heaps of guards. Just retired my Fox until I find a wooza to sow the stretched straps tighter. Bought a brand new set. The clips on the new ones don't seem as clicky as the old ones. Might be luck of the draw.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'd like to try their D30 flank pads, but the quality of the rallys is inadequate to get me to shell out another 90 on first year pads.
I picked up a set of RF Flanks this past fall (Chainlove - <$50), and have been wearing them primarily at the skatepark, but did a good long shuttle day with them too.

They're pretty comfy, stay put and have enough shin coverage to keep my legs safe from the poky aluminum spikes on my prerunners. Haven't tested how tough they are against sharp rocks, but am guessing they'd be better under long pants. The original version (as I have) are not very ventilated, but they're supposed to have fixed that on the new ones.

Now I just need some elbow pads that work as well...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks! I really like the extended protection of the flanks, but almost resent buying them at full price knowing I could have gotten them for close to half.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I throw my update into the hopper.

I think I've worn almost every SixSixOne knee/shin that's been out in the last six or seven years and with every one I've had trouble with them staying in place - - UNTIL the Pro Knee/Shin.

Jason Schippers (Royal Racing) recommended this one to me after I got fed up with my Race set never staying put and then disintegrating. He helped develop the Pro while he was still at 661/Sunline and I have to say it's a winner. The upper "sock" is a wide velcro wrap that keeps the upper securely above your knee; and because it wraps, you can leave your shoes on to put it on. The knee cup area has a clever sliding overlap that articulates very smoothly and lets the top of the knee cup hinge away from the sock - - so that the cup isn't always trying to pull at the sock and dislocate everything. Both the knee cup and shin have hard-shell outers, which also helps too if you want to wear them under a pant. I wore them a couple muddy races under my Royal SP 247 pants and they slid smoothly inside the pants without binding (of course the SP247s have a nice roomy articulated knee too, so that helped).

The lower is two-strap, so they don't the nice calf wrap-around like the Race Lites - - which would help when those Syncros Mental Mags get hungry and try to take a chunk out of me. But all-in-all, in my mind they've been the best offering yet from SixSixOne.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmmm...that might be an interesting one. My biggest beef with the RF/roach ones is that they're glorified hockey pads...they only don't slide down because they hit my feet and are so long they cannot. They fold down at the top and when I crash/slide into the fetal position, the tops of my knees end up getting scraped up...so I really want some solid uppers that hug my knee.

Sounds like those might be decent. Do you ride for 661? Have you tried the straits and such? I'm not a fan of pure knee pads but if everybody else is real moist about em, they might have a reason.

My last set of 661 pads were the original race knee/shins...they were absolutely horrid, stitching came apart, pads slide down, barely any protection...I have been hesitant at best to buy another item from them.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Sounds like those might be decent. Do you ride for 661?
I do. So you need to take a shill like me with a grain of salt :D.

I haven't tried the Straits or any other knee-only. My shins take as much of a beating as my knees it seems, so I like the whole deal.

I will add that last season I briefly tried the Nitros (hard-shell). I liked the idea of a total hard shell and the built-in hyperextension stop; but they are definitely moto-only. Too roomy for my scrawny legs - - they slid to my ankles no matter how I strapped them up. Sent them back and got the Pros.

Hey, whattaya know? My signature allowance is bigger. Can have my ad link and sponsor line too. Doo-dah!

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I throw my update into the hopper.

I think I've worn almost every SixSixOne knee/shin that's been out in the last six or seven years and with every one I've had trouble with them staying in place - - UNTIL the Pro Knee/Shin.

Jason Schippers (Royal Racing) recommended this one to me after I got fed up with my Race set never staying put and then disintegrating. He helped develop the Pro while he was still at 661/Sunline and I have to say it's a winner. The upper "sock" is a wide velcro wrap that keeps the upper securely above your knee; and because it wraps, you can leave your shoes on to put it on. The knee cup area has a clever sliding overlap that articulates very smoothly and lets the top of the knee cup hinge away from the sock - - so that the cup isn't always trying to pull at the sock and dislocate everything. Both the knee cup and shin have hard-shell outers, which also helps too if you want to wear them under a pant. I wore them a couple muddy races under my Royal SP 247 pants and they slid smoothly inside the pants without binding (of course the SP247s have a nice roomy articulated knee too, so that helped).

The lower is two-strap, so they don't the nice calf wrap-around like the Race Lites - - which would help when those Syncros Mental Mags get hungry and try to take a chunk out of me. But all-in-all, in my mind they've been the best offering yet from SixSixOne.
MinorThreat: I've been strongly considering those 661 Pro knee/shins, and the articulation capabilities really sound promising- it's what I've been looking for. Can you post up some pics of you wearing them? I haven't been able to find any decent pics on the internetz.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
OK, so here we are. You&#8217;ll have to forgive the quality of my self-shooting - - did not have my lovely assistant to work the camera.

Knee cup has a &#8216;tang&#8217; that underlaps the shin hardshell.

Sock is a multi-part affair. Outer is molded foam core with a hard plastic insert, all sewn to the stretchy wrap part.

Outer half of the sock has a &#8216;tongue&#8217; that extends down behind the knee cup. The knee cup is actually more integrated with the shin part, so the main hinge is between the sock and the cup.

The tongue has the hard insert down to within an inch or so of the tip, so the tip can flex inside the cup.

The wrap is nice and wide, comfortable and secure. Full-width velcro band.

The result is the sock stays put around your upper leg above the knee and keeps the knee cup actually covering your knee.

Also of note: remember how every SixSixOne strap used to seem to way too long - - like they were sized for tree-trunk legs, no matter what size you ordered? With this one, all the straps were the right length. This is a medium and I catch all the velcro patches in the right place (even with my chicken legs) and don&#8217;t have to tuck barely-stuck tag ends under and around stuff to keep them from flapping around.

Hope these help.

Last edited:

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
^^ I just got my 661 Nitro's and am now in the same position you were in. Much too roomy for my skinny legs. Wish I got the Pro's :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, so here we are.

Hope these help.
Nice post! I may pick these up...they look a lot like the POC stuff but lower tech....and honestly, my foam backed plastic raceface pads have never let me down in the areas they did cover, so I don't see the NEED for high tech materials vs. good old plastic hardshells. I'm also not a fan of what looks to be a pretty floppy knee cap on the POC pads...and these are a lot cheaper.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, the time has come and I'm looking for new knee/shins. The 661 pros appear to be discontinued, and back stock is only available in medium, which I'm not sure would work for my 200lb, 5'11" frame. Maybe they would? Are the 2012 rampages remotely similar? they look totally different but it's impossible to tell from the photos.

It's either that or the more expensive RF Flanks, which I don't like as much.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I was surprised to see that the starter of this thread didn't like the 661 race knee/shin. I bought them last Spring, used them all season and never had any issues with them sliding around (I have the 2011 size large).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you might be the exception to the rule. I have never heard anything good about the 661 Race knee shin pad. I had the very first model, which was a copy of the dainese version, and they were a nightmare. No quality, they slid down instantly, minimal padding, straps too long or too short, etc. etc. I don't think they changed the design much since then. I vowed never to buy another 661 product after those, and so far I haven't, but the PRO design looks like they may have started designing products to fit humans and not shelving units.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Well, the time has come and I'm looking for new knee/shins. The 661 pros appear to be discontinued, and back stock is only available in medium, which I'm not sure would work for my 200lb, 5'11" frame. Maybe they would? Are the 2012 rampages remotely similar? they look totally different but it's impossible to tell from the photos.

It's either that or the more expensive RF Flanks, which I don't like as much.
Don't get the 661 pros in medium. They run kinda small. By design they are shorter and more compact.