Quantcast

Knee/Shin Protection

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So after 4 years of abuse I finally managed to crack my roach dh knee/shin guards. Im looking for something that will never slip/turn and Im only interested in full Knee and Shin guards.

What do you suggest monkeys?
I own a pair of poc elbow guards and they are awesome but Im not sure I want to pay 140 euro for knee guards (european price is insane).
What are my other options? New Raceface on closeout? Rockgarden? Alpinestars? Dainese? 661?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Just fyi, coming from the Roach pads, this is what I think of the hard plastic/vpd poc guards:

Good
-Way more comfortable due to the articulating knee cap compared to roach. No more knee rugburn
-Blows feel softer compared to the already great roach pad protection
-They protect higher up on your leg compared to the roach pads (I killed the top of my kneecap twice because of this with the roaches.
-Back leg protector helps with pedal bite/rotor burn when you are oblivious to your immediate surroundings and have to push you bike up a hill/etc.

Bad
-The larges are HUGE and the med/smalls are tight if you have treestump legs like me.
-Hot, particularly with the back leg protector on.
-They feel a little uncomfortable until you warm up the vpd material (1/2 a run tops)
-They have a tendency to shift outwards while you ride and shift down, but not so much as to be a safety hazard. It is an annoyance however.
-The rubber grommet thing that holds the kneecap to the hard plastic shin pad will inevitably rip. They should have attached these better than they did.. but a little fishing line fixes this problem.

When they break, I'll wear them again. I ended up with 2 pairs because ridethis screwed up an order and has useless customer service.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The thing is they are much more expensive than the US price and I plan to do some trips this year which will drain my wallet by a bit. They are an option but If I can get anything for less Id be very happy.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Dainese stoped rotating? I have a nasty knee scar because of the old dainese guards.
yep. when they switched to the newer design with the black plastic, they have been solid (knock on wood)
i do wish they kept the extra flap protection that went to the top of your foot, but it hasnt been a issue really

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I am going to throw TLD combat guards into the mix. I've used them for the past 8 yrs (the older style and newer style) and I haven't found anything else that works as well. I've tried Fox launch, 661's, and Raceface/Roach and still choose the TLD's. I go with the shorty's which leave the last 5-6" above your ankle exposed. They are relatively cool (which is why I go with the short model) and don't move. They have a strap that goes above your calf belly and that is the trick. Its not elastic so you can cinch it down, but it does have a neoprene strap that it sits on so it doesn't cut into you. They are also a sleek/low profile but provide great coverage. Prices are reasonable and they hold up pretty well.

*Edit, I've never found a reason to need the Lopes edition as mine simply don't move and the extra sleeve seems like it would be hotter, but they are very similar.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I keep thinking TLD lopes; I havent tried them but the 2 piece design and some feedback seem to indicate its a stay put thing.

Fox Launch are good, and dont move until you go down superman style, then they slide the F down and allow your knees to get ground up. Also the top knee portion flexes out when yourkneed is bent and likes to capture your shorts, and generally look and feel weird.

I also wouldnt mind some calf coverage as I am one of the aforementioned clueless people who's shin/calf injuries come mostly from pushing the pedals or rotor into my own legs when walking.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think I've tried almost every knee/shin mentioned so far.
Dianese=garbage (very suprising I know)
Roach=meh
Fox launch= best for the price. Get these if you don't want to shell out for POC
POC= The best by far. I will never use a different knee/shin for MTB.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I think I've tried almost every knee/shin mentioned so far.
Dianese=garbage (very suprising I know)
Roach=meh
Fox launch= best for the price. Get these if you don't want to shell out for POC
POC= The best by far. I will never use a different knee/shin for MTB.
Does POC actually cover shin? Especialy on us taller gents? eh?

I was thinking of the TLD Lopes with one of the new TLD elbow/forearms.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Does POC actually cover shin? Especialy on us taller gents? eh?

I was thinking of the TLD Lopes with one of the new TLD elbow/forearms.
Those TLD's look wayyy smaller than the POC. Most of my height is in my legs, and the POC's cover almost all of my shins. And all of my shins that'd I'd want them to cover for sure. Maybe 2-3 inches at the bottom are uncovered if the guard is sitting high-ish on my leg. I'll try and measure when I get home and maybe take a pic.

couldnt disagree more. not a single problem with their current crop of pads.
Really? The one time I tried a pair (revolutions or something like that? They were expensive) they were super flimsy, very little padding, no articulation and would barely stay on my leg. I sold them before I even took the tags off. Maybe they are better now, but that was only like....12-18 months ago top.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
POC Joint Shin looks good; only 2 sizes, Im tall and thin, but not emaciated. How do these fit?

I will go POC - looks nice, like the VPD idea, hopefully not too hot because I overheat easy...

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I have the Dainese 3x knee/shin pads with 661 knee socks. They're pretty much perfect in terms of protection. It's a little warmer with the knee sock but you definitely don't notice it when riding.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Coming from 661's, the POC knee/shin pads are amazing. They do tend to rotate on me though. I could swear that the newer ones have addressed this somehow?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
T.H.E. storms

They're the only pad I've ever used out of the box without altering to make work.

The calf strap is elastic but it's easy to max out so that it becomes a rigid system that doesn't move.

Generally speaking, coming from skating vert for years where kneepads are bomber, knee/shin pads specific to bike riding are a pathetic joke. Those storm pads are pretty legit. Those same skating years programmed me to always go straight to my knees in a crash, even when it's not appropriate so I've gotten pretty picky about pads that stay in place when you slam into a rock with them.

Still have never fondled a pair of the POCs.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
+1 on the Storms. Still one of the better ventilated shin guards I've ever used. Put them on before a ride and forget they're even there, until a crash. While POCS are nice, they do get a noticeably warmer than my Storms. Granted I'm from Singapore and our high humidity and heat will make any guard really hot and uncomfortable.
The new all black Storms are a little bit weird in terms of size, though. I'm a stick thin hack and find even the S/M, a little tight. I wore a S/M in the first grey versions that came out and those fit just fine.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
The new ones still fit, they're just a little tighter, that may be a good thing, than the original grey ones, specifically the sock around the calf and ankles... For your reference, I'm 5'11" and only 120lbs...

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Heh, can't be helped. Been told I have a really high metabolic rate. Can eat anything and everything I want, which can't be all bad... :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
just to derail this thread further ^^

anybody tried the new POC vpd Shins?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50627

and are there any pictures out there besides the offical ones?
i am curious whether i can fit those over my knee brace
those are the ones I have, the joint/shin. and no, they would not fit over a brace--they are very snug.

and you aren't derailing. you actually brought the topic back on point. those are the pads norbar was asking about.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Interesting. How do they breathe? Looks like they'd be really warm.
its still spring here, the hottest day i have ridden in them so far was 80* and they were great. but i will get back and do a review after this summer. i don't wear pants even in the winter so these were nice this winter, they kept my legs from going numb but the test will be if they are still good when its 100* and 95% humidity about august time. :D they breathe great though. my legs never sweat and they don't turn my skin funny textures like other pads have. the material is very nice on the inside.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
thanks jon. any body else?

because as much as i like my bone vpd knee pads, they are quite bulky, and have the tendency to rotate while riding...