Quantcast

Labor day weekend

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Anyone want to meet at Wintergreen for some lift assisted shredding?
Should be a good warm up for Wisp, right?

My 11 year old actually wants to go back and ride it some more. Hey, I gotta do it for the kids, right?

It's a long weekend but I figure I sunday or monday would be good for me. Saturday might be pushing it since we're driving up friday night to Williamsburg.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Depending on when my wife's uncle gets around to sending up the keys to the condo, I might be going up this weekend or next. Can anybody give me a low down on trails suitable for burly hardtail action? I'm not really sure what to expect from Wintergreen. Any info would be appreciated.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Sounds like a fun weekend, but I will be up in the North shore and whislter. I will be riding and visiting the in- laws( my wife is from BC)Maybe another time so I can meet all of you

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I might be able to swing Monday or Sunday. I have a BBQ going for the navy folk Saturday, so can't then.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
G-spot said:
Sounds like a fun weekend, but I will be up in the North shore and whislter. I will be riding and visiting the in- laws( my wife is from BC)Maybe another time so I can meet all of you
I'll be up at the north shore, I'll be up at the north shore...:redhot:

This time next summer I'm taking Jr. to Whistler for sure.

Anyway Ian, sunday or monday work for me. Sunday preferably.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Let me see how out of hand things get Saturday night. There is always a lot of drinking at these parties, normally with me doing most of it, so there's a better then odds on possibility of me not getting out of bed Sunday.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
jdschall said:
Depending on when my wife's uncle gets around to sending up the keys to the condo, I might be going up this weekend or next. Can anybody give me a low down on trails suitable for burly hardtail action? I'm not really sure what to expect from Wintergreen. Any info would be appreciated.
I didn't come across anything at Wintergreen that can't be handled on a hardtail, assuming it's a tough one. Took my old Rockhopper up there and it did just fine.
So long as you tubes/tires hold up.............

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Why do they call it wintergreen if it's white in the winter? Shouldn't they call it Summergreen or Winterwhite? Or Winterslush?
They could have called it Broke Lift Mountain earlier this summer.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
noname said:
I didn't come across anything at Wintergreen that can't be handled on a hardtail, assuming it's a tough one...

Thanks. It's tough. I'll take off my trail tires and put on my DH tires and bring a few tubes and patches. I'm hitting it this weekend. I'll report back. I know everybody else will be at snowshoe, but hey I have free place to stay at winterslush. :cool:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Just wanted to resurrect this thread since it's next weekend.

We're going up sunday the 3rd. Hope to see everyone there.

Should be 2 or 3 Georgia crackers up there. My 11 year old is bothering me to take him. He had a blast last time.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Cracka ass crackers!

I will make all deliberate revolutions to get there. Noname wants to go, and I need to rest out the Demo now that I fixed it.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
So is this gonna be a definate trip ? I'm bugging my parents to take a road trip....

Also what gear is needed ? Am I gonna need shin gaurds and chest protector ?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
dan wask said:
So is this gonna be a definate trip ? I'm bugging my parents to take a road trip....

Also what gear is needed ? Am I gonna need shin gaurds and chest protector ?
Not required but not a bad idea. The old,"if you don't wear it you'll need it." thing applies. The shin guards are a good idea because you may dislodge rocks and catch them in your shins.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Okay so its looking like I'll be up there on friday into saturday.

Is anyone gonna be up there that early or should I try and stay till sunday ?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
WG is a great place to ride, but it is by no stretch of the imagination "freeride oriented." there is one trail there with some smallish stunts on it, but they are still fun. The DH runs are short and sweet, and you can get quite a few runs in up there.

A burly hardtail is definantly rideable there, and Dan, I would STRONGLY recommend shin guards, and some type of body armor is not a bad idea. The runs are short and steep, and things can get out of control pretty quickly (as with any DH)

Hope ya'll have fun, i'd love to be there, but i'll be nursing this damn broken wrist!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
So one last final question, do they have trail maps and stuff or am I gonna have to figure this all out by myself ? Or better yet are there going to be any monkeys up there on saturday to show me around so I'm not riding by my lonesome?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I'll be there assuming my knee doesn't feel like I got into a baseball bat fight with Babe Ruth still. Word to the wise, don't drunk walk down three flights of stairs, bad things happen.

Where are we launching from Peete?
SK6, any chance of a Team Lummox showing?
Noname, you coming along?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How's that place in the rain? Looks like we may have a hurricane / tropical storm on use by Saturday.

It was really dry and loose weekend before last. They could really use some rain to tacky things up. If the timing is right on the rain it could be beneficial. I have no idea how it would be in the wet. It's mostly rock so I imagine it would drain well and might not be too bad.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Every time I've been there it's been dry to tacky. Last time there was a big storm that ran through like 4 days prior. Other than some dead fall that needed clearing the dirt was perfect after a couple runs.
I'm crossing my fingers for more of that.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
So about what time do you guys suppose you'll be there on saturday ? From what I hear this damn tropical storm might be dumping a good bit of rain on that area so that might screw some things up.

As far as I know I'll be there friday most of the day, and then saturday we'll be leaving around 6 when the lifts close.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i think i will be up there 10ish. if it rains a ton though i might pull the plug and go do other things. i really want to go so if the weather is not evil i will be there. the only other thing that might stop me it other people punking out on me.