Quantcast

Latest Beer Choice

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Good American Wit beer. It has been around for a least 15 years though.
Probably one fo the FIRST Belgain styles to be brewed in the US.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you like Blue Moon then you would like Hoegaarden white ale, same style of beer if you are into that kind of thing. Didn't read it but there is a post concerning Hoegaarden on RM somewhere you could check that out and see what you think :)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Actually I'm going to E.S.F., i'll have to check that out. It is hard to get out here because as of yet I haven't had a car and haven't found anybody to go biking with, hopefully I'll change one of the two so I can hit the trails whenever I want.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Try and hook up with these guys. Splitrock is an old quarry in Camillus with rocky singletrack, atv trails, nasty downhills, a couple of jumps, old roads, rock gardens, and an old quarry area where you can do some 3-4' hucks. Tubeless with Stan's or multiple tubes is a good idea.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hoegaarden is way superior to blue moon. hadnt had a blue moon in a, uh, blue moon, but had some last week in florida. not bad, but won't supplant hoegaarden.

padrik5

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Silverdale, Wa
all i drink now is miller light and mgd
once was a molson fan but i moved to texas and drank nuthin but bud now it tastes like a tube

i geusse im a very common beer drinker

ha first post and its in the beer section

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
berkshire_rider said:
It's not quite that bad. It's a few steps above water flavored with alcohol. :p
Probably true. It's a flavored Coors. Literally - Coors is the one who makes Blue Moon in all its forms. I haven't had one in years, so maybe it's gotten better.......?

I tend to avoid 3.2 beer, though. If it's available in the grocery store, I don't buy it. :D

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
-BB- said:
Good American Wit beer. It has been around for a least 15 years though.
Probably one fo the FIRST Belgain styles to be brewed in the US.
I never cared for wits and I certainly wouldn't be having one unless it was much warmer out. They are just too thin. I like all my sinful induglences to have a nice body to them.

When I want an abbey ale or a true winter warmer, then I look to Belgium.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i love beer as a general rule, but there is something about bock beer which i can't stand. not sure what the flavoring is, but i hate it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
narlus said:
maybe it's the amount of malted barley they use. something's a bit nasty in those concoctions.
They use lots of it. Doppels have about twice as much as a regular bock and trippels have- gulp- three times as much. More fermentable sugars per pint leads to thicker body and greatly increased ABV. Maybe it's the malt(sweet) : hops(bitter) ratio that bugs you. Bocks usually are not hopped very heavily and have a more molasses-like finish.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
llkoolkeg said:
They use lots of it. Doppels have about twice as much as a regular bock and trippels have- gulp- three times as much. More fermentable sugars per pint leads to thicker body...
Not neccesarily...
Belgain Doubles are much thicker than the "tripples".
I think that the thicker body comes from using darker malts (b/c more non-sugar particles come off during the Worting process)

I am not a big Boc fan either, but that is probably b/c a Boc is a Lager and I greatly prefer ales. The "taste" in this case probably comes from the yeast b/c if they used the same hops (european hops I assume) and the same malts (chocloate malts) but with an Ale yeast, you would get something similar to a strong porter or a light (bodied) imperial stout... which I like.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
-BB- said:
Not neccesarily...
Belgain Doubles are much thicker than the "tripples".
I think that the thicker body comes from using darker malts (b/c more non-sugar particles come off during the Worting process)

I am not a big Boc fan either, but that is probably b/c a Boc is a Lager and I greatly prefer ales. The "taste" in this case probably comes from the yeast b/c if they used the same hops (european hops I assume) and the same malts (chocloate malts) but with an Ale yeast, you would get something similar to a strong porter or a light (bodied) imperial stout... which I like.
It really depends on too many variables, I guess, to speculate with any precision.

Ever tried Mackesson Triple Stout from the U.K.? Not at all like a trippel or an Irish stout.

Ricko

Chimp
Jan 9, 2005
Mtbike said:
Three Floyd's--IN
Yeah man, Robert the Bruce is my favorite. The Alpha Claus Christmas porter is really good too...8 bucks for a 22 ouncer is a bit steep though.

I'v done quite a bit of traveling around the country and have yet to find a micro brew I like more then RTB...and it's brewed only 4 miles from my home!!! :thumb:

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Well for New Years I decided to go big and get something I've only heard about....I bought a case of Chimay Grand Reserve. I believe it is my new favorite. I will just have to ration it since I can't afford to buy much. I'll keep New Castle in the fridge for friends and year old sierra nevada pale ale for people I don't like. ;)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Hoeggarden is good, but man, i can't drink more than one at a sitting. first time i had it was out of a tap, and i loved it. that was in Canada. got home and bought a 6-er of it expecting to have it down quick. nope.

i was doing the new beer a week thing, and found absolutely nasty beers. i don't know much about beer other than what brands i like. next week is gonna be Dead Man's Ale. my favorite beer is still Fat Tire. i really like the Loft beer, too.