Quantcast

LBS fees question

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
blue said:
"The pros do it". So? Who gives a damn? Does that mean I should go shoot up on some blood boosters tomorrow? The pros can screw themselves, I'll do whats best for me. I used to ride with an HRM, and it threw me off, I was always paying too much attention to the goddamned numbers on an LCD screen and not to my riding. My HRM would tell me one thing, so I'd slow down or speed up my cadence/pace, and I would feel like I was riding over or under my potential instead of exactly at it. My body is dynamic, while all the training manuals I've read seem to think I'm quite the static individual, same day after day. I ride with a cyclocomputer that tells me how far I've gone and my average speed, that's about it.

FitCycles are really inaccurate. First, they feel nothing like a real bike, and someone is not going to sit the same on a fake bike as they will on a real one. It only shows the rider in a stationary, flat position and not in a climbing, sprinting, or ascending stance.

Lookie:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html (Bontrager article)

Looks like I found a candidate to mow my lawn.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Barbaton said:
Turns out the shop wants an additional $30 to transfer my cleats to the new shoes.
Thats insane.... If sumone purchases a pair of shoes, we ALWAYS instal/swap cleats at no charge. Although... if we have to take the angle grinder to the bolt heads, there is a small fee...

golgiaparatus said:
But were also talking about 2 bolts and an allen wrench and about 5 minutes of time.

not if it is a non-floating road cleat. and if that is the case, you better have your cleat alligned right or all hell can go wrong with you knees.

and to the rest of the thread:

and then there is the whole idea that someone shouldnt pay for labor at a shop. they are giving you time and a specialized service. why shouldnt you pay for it? and a tuen up for 60 bucks is perfectly legit. in seattle we charged 65. you also need to look at what a tune-up at different shops involves. some it is check everything over make sure all is tight and do a quick run through on shifting. others it is true wheels both round and side to side, put fresh grease in and readjust the hubs, adjust your shifting, adjust your brakes. make sure all is safe. i dont see a problem with a shop having an hourly rate of 50 or 60 bucks, and charging for services that they offer that you cant do. it is really starting to bug me that people keep thinking taht shops should be giving away labor, yet they are running a business and providing a service. but enough of this rant that has happened time and time again.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
=[Stinky]= said:
Thats insane.... If sumone purchases a pair of shoes, we ALWAYS instal/swap cleats at no charge. Although... if we have to take the angle grinder to the bolt heads, there is a small fee...
as should be. but we're not talking about swapping cleats here. we're talking about putting someone on a machine to set their cleat position. swapping cleats takes 5-10 minutes. this process takes half an hour. very different stuff

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Smelly said:
as should be. but we're not talking about swapping cleats here. we're talking about putting someone on a machine to set their cleat position. swapping cleats takes 5-10 minutes. this process takes half an hour. very different stuff
heh, whoops Just read the first post... Well. Generaly we set the cleats up to how they were set up on the previous shoes. If they have not owned clipless before. We set the cleats up in a neutral positions, at the center of the ball on their foot. Have them pedal around on the trainer, and make adjustments from there. Psshhh machines..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:
"The pros do it". So? Who gives a damn? Does that mean I should go shoot up on some blood boosters tomorrow? The pros can screw themselves, I'll do whats best for me. I used to ride with an HRM, and it threw me off, I was always paying too much attention to the goddamned numbers on an LCD screen and not to my riding. My HRM would tell me one thing, so I'd slow down or speed up my cadence/pace, and I would feel like I was riding over or under my potential instead of exactly at it. My body is dynamic, while all the training manuals I've read seem to think I'm quite the static individual, same day after day. I ride with a cyclocomputer that tells me how far I've gone and my average speed, that's about it.

FitCycles are really inaccurate. First, they feel nothing like a real bike, and someone is not going to sit the same on a fake bike as they will on a real one. It only shows the rider in a stationary, flat position and not in a climbing, sprinting, or ascending stance.

Lookie:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html (Bontrager article)
Thanks for your answer about why you don't use a HRM. Actually, Friel does talk about it: http://www.insidetri.com/train/tips/articles/749.0.html. An HRM is a tool, and how you use it is important, not that you have one.

I am very familiar with KOPS and its fallacies. Actually, this post reminds me of a friend, who forcefully as you, introduced me to KOPS.

FitKit is a fitting method. Guessing is another method. Trial and Error is a third. I have used all three, and others as well, and I do not have a favorite, although the FitKit is an excellent marketing tool.

blue said:
"The pros do it". So? Who gives a damn? Does that mean I should go shoot up on some blood boosters tomorrow? The pros can screw themselves, I'll do whats best for me.
Don't be an idiot. Carmichael and Friel are freaking experts in coaching, and the proof is the thousands of riders who subscribe to their methods and the success of pros like Lance. Do whatever you want, but don't dismiss what the pros do because of some jackass reason like "the pros use dope".