Quantcast

***Le Tuesderp GMT***

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Buy a house they said...

Water isn't flowing down the downspout properly, yesterday it was overflowing slightly (guessing maybe frozen underground).
Water is seeping through the garage wall somehow.

View attachment 172707
View attachment 172706

Do I call the insurance first and get an assessors opinion?
Or do I just go straight into trying to find a contractor who will actually come out and look?
you need a heated cable in your gutter extension.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've come to the conclusion that I like the idea of the ocean. The smell, the food, the culture. Its got a romantic notion to it.

But I'm perfectly happy not swimming in it or boating. Sitting in traffic, praying to find a space that i have the privilege of paying $60 to park, lugging all our shit 1/2 mile, then slogging through 1,000 degree sand to sit on a beach baking with the rest of the state doesn't sound fun to me.
well then, maybe *you're* the perfect candidate for the house in midcoast maine, with easy walking access to the lobstah docks and a rocky shoreline right at your doorstep! no need to worry about beaches or crowds!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
well then, maybe *you're* the perfect candidate for the house in midcoast maine, with easy walking access to the lobstah docks and a rocky shoreline right at your doorstep! no need to worry about beaches or crowds!
Maybe me and Tim go halvsies on it and never tell our families.....:brows:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
hey - we found something we all agree on! THE BEACH IS LE WORST.
Oregon beaches, on the other hand, kicked ass. Miles and miles of public access where the dogs could run free and you'd seldom run into anyone.

Not like these New England beaches where any degree of solitude is a gift and you better not even think about bringing a dog on the beach or some Kennedy wannabe is going to shake their Vineyard Vines clad fist at you.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Oregon beaches, on the other hand, kicked ass. Miles and miles of public access where the dogs could run free and you'd seldom run into anyone.

Not like these New England beaches where any degree of solitude is a gift and you better not even think about bringing a dog on the beach or some Kennedy wannabe is going to shake their Vineyard Vines clad fist at you.
Agreed... Oregon beaches are the shizzle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oregon sucks. It rains all the time. Full of methheads, rednecks and homeless. Nothing to see here. Move along.
My parents live in Coos Bay. Beautiful place, but outside of their house, a few ok restaurants, the beach, and the dunes (in the right season) there's really nothing.

And it's a huge pain in the ass to get to. At least in the summer months United runs a twice weekly, once per day flight from DEN-OTH, largely to service the white-dudes-playing-golf-in-Bandon market.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't cradle The Man's balls because I enjoy it.

That's why it will be nice when older kid goes to kindergarten in the fall....and even better when his brother does. Though a large portion of what we'll be saving will then go into their 529s/retirement as @stoney brought up.
When Hannah goes to kindergarten, that $17k/yr will be going into the 529 plans. I expect to have both 529 plans fully funded by end of Jr High. And the only thing keeping our retirement plan happening before 55 is paying for college... Healthcare isn't even a problem. And college should be paid for by 50 with this plan. 9. Fucking. Years. Left.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
When Hannah goes to kindergarten, that $17k/yr will be going into the 529 plans. I expect to have both 529 plans fully funded by end of Jr High. And the only thing keeping our retirement plan happening before 55 is paying for college... Healthcare isn't even a problem. And college should be paid for by 50 with this plan. 9. Fucking. Years. Left.
I hesitate to fund my kids' 529s too much

because there's still a low but decidedly non-0 chance that I emigrate to New Zealand. Time frame for this would be 5+ years out, but well before Mariko goes to undergrad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My in laws have a place in Wells that I'm "forced" to go to most every weekend through the summer, and fuck that shit. I hate beaches to begin with, let alone crowded ones and shitloads of traffic that goes with it. Put me in the middle of the mountains/lakes please. #firstworldproblems

Our current daycare bills are about $3,400/mo for the 2 of them. Fuck that, also.
Ha, when we were in waltham, I paid like 2100-2400 for an infant. That was the more affordable center. Again, soon it will be over and we can #spendit

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
asheville...standard pizza....then nick cave/warren ellis show....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Since you're already making those payments, if your retirement stuff is sorted, open a 529 plan for him and put it there. It's not part of your lifestyle budget, so keep it out. If your retirement isn't sorted, put it into your retirement. See above for reasoning.
Appreciate the advice. I think we're doing OK though- wife and I both come close to maxing out our 401ks each year (13-15%), and we were blessed with biotechbucks, which we dumped $20k each into our kids 529 plans. I do like the idea of taking that $1000/mo and dumping it into their 529s though, since we are doing OK.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement take the downspout apart and see if it's crammed full of pine needles and leaves.
The downspout from the gutter is clear. I checked the underground pipe late fall by running a hosepipe down it and ensuring the water came out of the outlet pipe - it did.

Today when I checked the end of the underground outlet pipe it's bone dry, despite the snowmelt still entering from the roof.

That underground pipe runs underneath the concrete pad in front of the garage doors and exits on a slope - probably a 35ish ft run from this blocked one, but I'm not sure how deep it is. There's another downspout joins the same underground run to the single outlet too, but doesn't have the long run or seem to have the overflow issue.

Thanks @Jozz, something to investigate.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Appreciate the advice. I think we're doing OK though- wife and I both come close to maxing out our 401ks each year (13-15%), and we were blessed with biotechbucks, which we dumped $20k each into our kids 529 plans. I do like the idea of taking that $1000/mo and dumping it into their 529s though, since we are doing OK.
I can do the math for you, if you want, regarding pre-funding. PM me or post:
- current balances
- current savings rate/m (per acct)
- potential savings rate/m (per acct)
- amt you think you need for school, in today's dollars. MIT /= Boston College /= U.Mass.
- Current ages
- Expected time in college (4 or 5yrs?)

Believe it or not, it's not a quick, simple equation. It's investment growth, spend down, and GV back to PV, so bunch of tiered calculations, where most people get it wrong. And the simple math is usually off by 20-30% low at the back end.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hesitate to fund my kids' 529s too much

because there's still a low but decidedly non-0 chance that I emigrate to New Zealand. Time frame for this would be 5+ years out, but well before Mariko goes to undergrad.
Look at Mr Fancy Pants over here.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
no free parental daycare....

older brother had it made....parents were more than happy to watch his kids.....
We did this a bit when they were really little, but both our parents are ~1hr away in opposite directions, and not near our work, so it was a pain in the ass and not worth the added time driving around.

We lucked out the second time around (for me anyway), as wife got laid off around the time #2 was born, and wound up with a year severance. So, she was still getting paid full salary for a year, and was able to stay home and watch him. A couple months ago around the same time, we put him in daycare too, and a bit later she got a new job making about 25% more than her previous. So we lucked out overall.

I can see why so many people quit jobs and watch kids instead of daycare though.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We did this a bit when they were really little, but both our parents are ~1hr away in opposite directions, and not near our work, so it was a pain in the ass and not worth the added time driving around.

We lucked out the second time around (for me anyway), as wife got laid off around the time #2 was born, and wound up with a year severance. So, she was still getting paid full salary for a year, and was able to stay home and watch him. A couple months ago around the same time, we put him in daycare too, and a bit later she got a new job making about 25% more than her previous. So we lucked out overall.

I can see why so many people quit jobs and watch kids instead of daycare though.
As you well know, my wife's earning potential is in line with cost of daycare. Almost 1-to-1. Hence why she will be a SAHM til wee one is in school.

Wonder which MLM she's going to get involved with?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
- current balances
- amt you think you need for school, in today's dollars. MIT /= Boston College /= U.Mass.
- Current ages

Believe it or not, it's not a quick, simple equation. It's investment growth, spend down, and GV back to PV, so bunch of tiered calculations, where most people get it wrong. And the simple math is usually off by 20-30% low at the back end.
This is something I've been wondering myself. I opened a 529 for both kids pretty much the day I had their SS#....I put $100 into both each paycheck, and am likely going to up that soon once my raise becomes effective.

Older son:
4.5yo
current balance: $24k
my contribution: $2,600/yr (looking to up to $3,900/yr)
Tuition in 2035? fuck if I know....$100k/yr?
Likely 4yrs (I hope)

I'm already maxing out my retirement, but the wife and I also agreed on upping our mortgage payments now that we're in a better place financially than we potentially could have been had she not got a job.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is something I've been wondering myself. I opened a 529 for both kids pretty much the day I had their SS#....I put $100 into both each paycheck, and am likely going to up that soon once my raise becomes effective.

Older son:
4.5yo
current balance: $24k
my contribution: $2,600/yr (looking to up to $3,900/yr)
Tuition in 2035? fuck if I know....$100k/yr?
Likely 4yrs (I hope)

I'm already maxing out my retirement, but the wife and I also agreed on upping our mortgage payments now that we're in a better place financially than we potentially could have been had she not got a job.
Jumping into meetings, so will do when I have a break. How much for school in TODAY'S dollar's? Private ($50k/yr) or public ($30k/yr)?

I use 6% inflation on school and 10% growth, assuming SP500 RoR, FYI.

And that $2600, is that /12 or annual?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

As you well know, my wife's earning potential is in line with cost of daycare. Almost 1-to-1. Hence why she will be a SAHM til wee one is in school.

Wonder which MLM she's going to get involved with?
That's what we did. Of course, my wife was/is a teacher, so she wasn't making shit to begin with. I'm pretty sure it was one of the smartest, and best, things we've ever done.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
- current balances
- Current ages

Hmmm, let me take a look. It's been a bit since I looked at the accounts- I am just letting them do their things. I expect to pay half of their tuition and let them take the other half- perhaps that is a debatable goal. We do have a finance guy, who is a fiduciary, to help us with these things...I just wonder if we need to be more aggressive with our savings goal. I'm not in love with the idea of saving all of our money vs. living well in the case that we don't reach retirement or one of the kids doesn't go to school or gets a scholarship.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> gets a scholarship.
Yep - both kids so far have done this, which helps a whole bunch. And the 3rd kid is smarter than the rest of them, so hopefully he continues the trend...

:fancy:

they got car rental there....i keep on getting kicked to butte on expedia....
I mean... I'd *assume* they have car rentals there. I don't have to worry about such pedestrian things when I visit, though.

:fancy: :D

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hmmm, let me take a look. It's been a bit since I looked at the accounts- I am just letting them do their things. I expect to pay half of their tuition and let them take the other half- perhaps that is a debatable goal. We do have a finance guy, who is a fiduciary, to help us with these things...I just wonder if we need to be more aggressive with our savings goal. I'm not in love with the idea of saving all of our money vs. living well in the case that we don't reach retirement or one of the kids doesn't go to school or gets a scholarship.
I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm fucked, it's just a question of how much. Do I save every penny I can? No, definitely not, re: wanting to enjoy life. Do I save more than the average bear? Probably. Will I be able to pay for college, fully fund our retirement, and pay off our house early? Doubtful, unless the in-laws boot it early and we inherit all their money.

I'm sure someone who's more financially savvy could tell me exactly how fucked, but I'm not sure if knowing that is better than not.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I don't even my new bike rack yet, but Rocky Mounts' customer service gets a 10/10 from me already so far. Asked about the cancellation of my shipment, and they responded (within an hour) letting me know they cancelled it because they were able to get an alternative method that got to me quicker, and cheaper. Due to arrive Fri.