Quantcast

Learn how to drive idiots

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Volume wize, yes they have less... thats why to support the same load... two sizes for example, the 2157015... at 35 PSI<making the load nuimbers up> will hold 2k<example>, and your 22545 16, will take 44 to do the same.

BUT, a Low pro tire being run low on pressure will still blow out a sidewall just the same as any other overheated sidewall.
If you are going to grandstand, at least try to make sense. Are you actually trying to claim the volume of the tire (not the contact patch and vehicle weight) determines the required pressure?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you are going to grandstand, at least try to make sense. Are you actually trying to claim the volume of the tire (not the contact patch and vehicle weight) determines the required pressure?
Yes, as a matter of fact I am. The volume of the tire, compared to how it is built, will determine how much pressure is needed for a particular vehicle. Its the volume of the tire that is supporting the vehicle, Obviously a larger contact patch will also have a larger volume as well..... For instance lets say you have two tires IDENTICAL CONACT PATCH, identical overall diameter, one is a 20 in dai wheel, one is a 16 in wheel..... the 16 will use less pressure for the sme load compared to the 20 due to the decrease if volume that the 20 will have. If you dont think thats true, Ill see If I can sign you up for the next goodyear training seminar were they go over this again, and again, and again........

If your going to call someone out on being wrong about automotive tires, you should make sure what their education level is<Yes, I hold a degree in auto, and deisel>and see what their certs are<IE 12 year Master certified>

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If your going to call someone out on being wrong about automotive tires, you should make sure what their education level is<Yes, I hold a degree in auto, and deisel>and see what their certs are<IE 12 year Master certified>
but do you have a mechanic's crack?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the pressure continues
The memo said technicians with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Toyota could not duplicate the sudden, unintended acceleration that James Sikes said he experienced March 8 when he reached 94 mph on a California freeway. Investigators tried during a two-hour test drive Thursday.
Craig Hoff, a professor of mechanical engineering at Kettering University in Flint, Mich., said that for the Prius to accelerate out of control, at least two systems would have to fail simultaneously. They are the sensor signal that tracks the brake and gas pedal positions when the driver presses on them and the hybrid control computers.
"The chance of them both going wrong, plus the fact that the signal is bad, it just seems very, very, very remote," Hoff said. "Could it happen? Statistically, yes. But it just doesn't seem very likely."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100314/ap_on_bi_ge/us_runaway_prius

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
According to a draft memo written for the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, the condition of the brakes suggests that they "weren't applied at full force over a sustained period at high speeds" reports the Wall Street Journal, but rather "the driver may have intermittently applied moderate pressure on the brakes."
Finally, Sikes said after the incident that his accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor and he was braking hard at the same time. His particular Prius, however, is fitted with a brake override system that cuts engine power if the accelerator pedal and brake are applied at the same time. Investigators from both NHTSA and Toyota reportedly tried to recreate the same scenario with the vehicle in question and failed due to the brake override system performing as it was intended.

Toyota has announced a press conference for later today to share more of the investigation's results, which will likely further erode confidence in Sikes and his story. Some experts have questioned why Sikes didn't follow the advice of a 911 operator and shift his Prius into Neutral, as well as his explanation later of being afraid that the car would flip if he took it out of Drive.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/15/official-investigation-of-runaway-prius-begins-to-answer-questio/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Toyota walked a fine line this afternoon when it revealed that its own two-day investigation of last week's runaway Prius near San Diego, CA had reached the same conclusion as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's investigation. That is, the brakes on Jim Sikes' 2008 Toyota Prius should have been able to stop the car. Toyota did not, however, go so far as to call Sikes a liar.

The investigation determined that the front brake pads were worn so far down from overheating that the rotors were scraping the pads' metal backings. According to investigators, this could have only happened if the brake pedal were applied lightly (less than 50% or so) for an extended period of time, not pressed firmly to the floor as Sikes claimed he was doing. Only by "dragging" the brakes lightly could they become so overheated and worn, as firmly pressing the brake pedal while the car is accelerating would engage the brake override system that cuts engine power.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/15/toyota-agrees-with-nhtsa-investigation-of-runaway-prius-but-not/