Quantcast

Leatt brace question

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I kept having problems with my brace. So I contacted the dutch distributor and also emailed Rockgardn.

We came to the conclustion that for me the TLD D2 helmet wasn't working. I tried a Airoh stelt helmet at the distributor on the parking lot and that was way better. After seeing the picture of the side of the helmet (third) and the brace I decided to cut off a part of the TLD.

I also got a tip of Rockgardn to use the brace with there jacket. I quote:
If you have the current model(white plastic), put the back of the Leatt between the backslider and themesh, then zip the front of the jacket over the sternum plate of the Leatt.Once that's done, lift the sides of the collar up and over the area on thesides of the Leatt where it flares out.

First foto is the original helmet
Second the modified helmet
third the original helmet with Brace and jacket
Last is the original helmet( just wanted to show off the custom paint job)

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I had a chance to try on both the Leatt and the EVS yesterday at the local MX shop. The EVS is a good looking piece but it has some shortcomings. The biggest problem I found was the range of motion looking up. The helmet hit the back plate and I was not able to look up the trail far enough for DH. Also, the EVS does not really have much protection for your head being pushed down. Weight seemed pretty much the same but this is not an all day test- just hanging out in the shop.

The Leatt had a much better range of motion forward and back. I noticed there was more motion available if I adjusted the screws (it was set about in the middle). The Leatt is smaller overall and has less interference with the back piece too.

I was bummed because I really wanted the EVS to be an equal at half the price but it looks like I will have to save my pennies.

The guy at the shop did tell me that Leatt was coming out with a new lower priced version ($170) that was similar but with fewer adjustments. Since the season is pretty much over, I think I will wait to see how this one looks.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i have the same problem for keep back my head under riding down with the LB.. i use the gladiator daines protektor jacket.. and thats not the solution to destroyed your jersey for correct fit. i think it need only a compatible back plate for use over dainese jackets!! thats a job for leatt brace!!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
are there problems using the leat brace and a backpack at the same time?
depends on the body armor. My Leatt fits inside of my Rockgardn body armor really good. Didn't work so well with my old Dainese shuttle suit.

Again, it works best if you cut a small slit in your jersey for the brace to go through.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
i have the leatt with the 661 pressure suit combo it works with out any problems,i can put the brace also under my pressure suit or above the suit with the backplate under de spine protection.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
what's the difference with the Leatt Adventure (cheaper version). I assume it is heavier, but how much so. I've also heard less adjustments, I wonder how that will affect performance?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
what's the difference with the Leatt Adventure (cheaper version). I assume it is heavier, but how much so. I've also heard less adjustments, I wonder how that will affect performance?
It may affect how much you can look up on a DH bike due to the lack of adjustment with the rear member. It is primarly designed for MX body positioning.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
http://www.leatt-brace.com/themes/leatt/images/MOTO_GPX_manual.pdf

Maybe I am mis understanding what you are saying. Just to clarify for everyone: Page 8 of the Leatt manual states that the Leatt must be under a spine protector.

He means the back of the Leatt is wedged in between the actual suit and the plastic spine protector on the suit.

The manual states you can run it that way or completely under the suit. (and has pics)

Edit: On page 8 of said PDF it has the pictures of exactly what he is talking about. a) completely under the armor. b) on top of armor w/ rear portion of Leatt tucked behind armor plastic.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Yesterday, during local motorcycle fair I tried all three LB models and both sizes and I still don't know if medium LB Adventure will be OK for me for DH/FR :(
I'am 170cm (5'7"), 145lbs (w/o gear, of course), ca. 13% fat, rather regular body build.
All braces I tried had medium spacer/bucle part, had 10 degrees strut in between spacers and set members (Sport and Club) in the middle.
First, medium size braces didn't touch my back and chest at the same time. There was about 1,5cm space between my back and backplate while front part was on my chest.
I also had an impression that LB touches my collar bones. Which shoud not happen. The guy at the booth chaged position of the strut, but it didn't help much.
Then, I tried Sport small. With medium spacers/bucles, middle position of members and trut brace fitted much better. Didn't move forth and back. BUT, I was not sure if there was enough retroversion...?
At the end, I tried LB ADVenture medium... It seemed too big, moreover, it had fixed members positions...
Can anybody help me? I can't afford Sport or Club LB at the moment.

Thx in advance for tips.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
there are 18 different configurations that can be achieved, how many have you tried? sounds like you tried the med. brace with only the medium chips. the small leatt will be too small for you, but i would suggest trying a medium with the tightest possible set-up (small chips, w/ the angled rear member mounted inside all the spacers) and go from there.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
hmm... that't true, I didn't have opportunity to check every possible configs.
Any thoughts about using LB ADVenture?

dhcooke

Chimp
Feb 5, 2009
general lee.....where did you get yours?

as im looking for one thats too bulky. My only problem is $$, I don't know if I would be willing to spend $500 + for one

jonesy889

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
England
I've got a similar problem that djamgils mentioned earlier in this thread, but don't fancy hacking up my helmet. I especially find a problem if I'm crouched low and forwards on the bike with elbows out, as your shoulders tend to push the brace up into the helmet and stop you tilting your head back. I've got the GPX club with all the adjustments, and have tried pretty much every reasonable adjustment combination, with and without armour.

I have a theory that the shape of the helmet makes a big difference to being able to look up far enough. I'm in the middle of a load of exams at the moment so I've not got time to verify this, but anyone's thoughts or experiences would be welcome...

This is a pic of my Giro Mad Max II (2005) overlayed with a 661 Strike 2009. I've done my best to get the helmets the same size (indicated by the green lines), both pictures were side on. The red lines show the angle extended from the upper plastic rim on both helmets.

With the different angles shown in the first picture aligned (I've just rotated the Giro), you can see the Giro 'hangs down' a lot more at the back, where the early contact with the brace is made.

I might be talking complete BS, but when I've got the time I'm definitely going to try some different helmets, as I can't believe it when about 70% of the posts I read people say the brace doesn't restrict them whatsoever, and I really want the brace to work for me now.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
you are 100% correct in that the helmet does matter. That's why I have been posting up for people to say what helmet they are using.

I have a Troy Lee SE2 and it works great with the Leatt in the full down position.

Also, did you flip the plastic nuts that limit the travel yet?

jonesy889

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
England
Yep flipped the nuts, didn't make a whole lot of difference - I'd imagine the helmet is to blame, always thought it was a slightly odd shape.

Anyone know of any good helmets slightly cheaper that work well? Under £150 (about $220?) would be nice. That 661 Strike '09 I mentioned doesn't look bad. Does DOT certification stand for anything when looking for a helmet that will work well with the brace?

Also, I'm sure I've got it right, but just to check on the sizing. Its slightly confusing how they say 4-16 (thin build)/16+ (average build) - does that mean a thin 30 year old should get small? I'm 20 years old, 6' 154lbs and I'd say between a thin and average build! I got the medium obviously, and I do get slight pressure as it mention in the fitment video (
at 2:01), so I guess its fine. I'm running it in the smallest config (small links and the 17.5 deg more acute angled thoracic).

Last edited:

vietnow

Chimp
May 28, 2009
I got a question Im 24 and 150 pounds I got the small size and not the medium size. What do you guys use? is the small to small for me?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
200 pounds and 6'0". I use the medium with the medium latches and the angled plate in the back.

Does it feel too tight? I think Leatt has some good fitting instructions on their site.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
ok, just got my medium brace in the mail today, but it's a liittle too big. i am a really skinny dude. about 5'9, 135-140lbs.

i have installed the small clips, and the angled plate with all the plate shims out the outer side and it still sits away from my back, barely. i can just feel it on my back, but it's not "snug" it just hovers a couple millimeters away from my back.

the collar itself fits my neck perfectly and i wouldn't want anything smaller around my neck.

in the very near future, i will be hopefully wearing this with a core saver vest which i think will fix the problem, but right now it's just over my t-shirt and a jersey.

can i ride it like this? any suggestions? i have a feeling the medium is the right size, but i need to squeeze a couple more mms out, if possible. my only solution is to put some kind of decent material with double sided velcro between the back padding, and back plate. good idea?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apologies for bumping this thread back up, but it certainly seems like a good thing to have floating around the top pages.

I've had my Leatt Moto-GPX Club for about 3 months, and opted for the medium. I am honestly thinking this was the wrong choice. I broke my collarbone about 6 weeks ago, as a direct result of the brace.

I am 16, and a relatively thin build, 180cm tall. Now, i have everything set as small as it can go, and when the brace is on, it sits on the top of my shoulders, and the rear member touches at the top, but not the very bottom. On the front it's the same story.

So i guess my question is; is this too big?

If this is a yes, then question two is; is there any way to make it fit without buying the small? (strapped for cash sucks.)

Thanks in advance,

Welshy

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Apologies for bumping this thread back up, but it certainly seems like a good thing to have floating around the top pages.

I've had my Leatt Moto-GPX Club for about 3 months, and opted for the medium. I am honestly thinking this was the wrong choice. I broke my collarbone about 6 weeks ago, as a direct result of the brace.

I am 16, and a relatively thin build, 180cm tall. Now, i have everything set as small as it can go, and when the brace is on, it sits on the top of my shoulders, and the rear member touches at the top, but not the very bottom. On the front it's the same story.

So i guess my question is; is this too big?

If this is a yes, then question two is; is there any way to make it fit without buying the small? (strapped for cash sucks.)

Thanks in advance,

Welshy
Why do you think breaking the collarbone is something bad when wearing the brace? That's kind of like thinking breaking a rib in car crash because of the seat belt makes seat belts a bad idea.

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
i'm sorry but if these are so effective may are all the MXers coming away from Leatts???

There either using Stars braces unbadged or opting to use none at all!

A friend works in a local hospital where they have had people in injured wearing braces and the braces have done more damage than good.... Damaged ribs, broken collar bones etc....

My opinion is there very much fashion over function..

thru alternative loading pathways, there is a theoretical increase in broken clavicles, etc. whether this is really the case, i think, should be reviewed via formal research study rather than thru anecdotal accounts. i still agree with the above poster, that i'd rather have a clavicle fracture than a neck fracture/spinal cord injury.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Welshy
I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that you broke your collarbone because you hit the ground with your body and the ground didn't back down.:think:

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
The stars is a better brace but realistically you don't really need a brace on a dh bike! The falls involved are far less severe than that of a moto for which there designed!

A few pro's used them and then they popped up everywhere. Seems all the mtb riders have stopped using em. Vink, Blekinsop etc.

Blekinsop is sponsored by em and only wears one in pratice. Comes off in seeding and race runs yet he wears it on the podium. I'd hazard a guess he don't wear one when he's not at a race.

Your going nowhere near as big or as fast on a mtb as you do on a moto... I really do doubt the need for them in dh!

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Just because someone doesn't wear one doesn't mean they are not beneficial in the event of a crash. It just means those particular riders do not like them for one reason or another.

Why? I will wager mobility which as an owner, can attest these things do reduce.

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
Yeh or so claims mr leatt!!

I think you will find there is no scientific proof carried out that proves that other than research which is bankrolled by leatt themselves...

Until totally indipendant research investigates it with a MTB lid not a moto lid i'm a sceptic!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
The stars is a better brace but realistically you don't really need a brace on a dh bike! The falls involved are far less severe than that of a moto for which there designed!
There have been cases where people break their neck in downhill too, I've even heard of one fatal crash. They are designed to protect the neck (and have been tested to do so), they do this regardless if you crash on a moto or a mtb. Also you seem to know that Alpinestars is a better brace, why? You switch from not knowing anything about braces (saying you haven't seen any independant research) to knowing which is the best. How come? Is there something you are not sharing with us?

Here are some professional opinions:

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=20&id=4

A few pro's used them and then they popped up everywhere. Seems all the mtb riders have stopped using em. Vink, Blekinsop etc.
On the contrary, their use has increased over time.

Blekinsop is sponsored by em and only wears one in pratice. Comes off in seeding and race runs yet he wears it on the podium. I'd hazard a guess he don't wear one when he's not at a race.
Well if Blenkinsop did research on braces and found them to be worthless this might have been useful information, but since he doesn't I don't see why Blenkinsop should influence you whether or not you should wear a brace. If a rider wears one or not doesn't prove if they work or not.

Your going nowhere near as big or as fast on a mtb as you do on a moto... I really do doubt the need for them in dh!
You are though, you can end up going pretty damn fast on a dh-bike.

Last edited:
Yeh or so claims mr leatt!!

I think you will find there is no scientific proof carried out that proves that other than research which is bankrolled by leatt themselves...

Until totally indipendant research investigates it with a MTB lid not a moto lid i'm a sceptic!
I kind have to sort of agree with this, an independent report is needed. But I run a moto lid even though I'm only on a DH bike, so am I protected?

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
Basically at the moment all research that has been carried out was done by leatt or funded by leatt. Call me sceptical but the work they have done increases sales! Could it be clever marketing?

The alpinestars is better designed from what has been written in moto x mags. Basically it is designed to crumple in an accident rather than the leatt which is so laterally stiff can cause alternate injurys in a fall...

As mentioned local hospital have seen injuries that the leatt has caused. Without the brace the riders would have walked away without a scratch on em.

There use in grass roots riding has increased yes. Pros have pretty much stopped using them!

How many badly set up leatts have you seen. I saw 2 leatts badly set up at weekend. Worn in such a stupid way there actually more dangerous!

Yes you go fast on a dh bike but not 50mph against 30plus other riders over 40-60ft doubles! Not quite the same is it!

Like i said this is my opinion and how i've come to those conclusions!

Until somone does independant research with MTB lids i'm not convinced!

Also to but into the mix, Moto lids cover much more of the back of your head and generally have a more compact chin piece?! These are what was optimum to work with a leatt not a D2! So again more independant research must be done!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Basically at the moment all research that has been carried out was done by leatt or funded by leatt. Call me sceptical but the work they have done increases sales! Could it be clever marketing?

The alpinestars is better designed from what has been written in moto x mags. Basically it is designed to crumple in an accident rather than the leatt which is so laterally stiff can cause alternate injurys in a fall...
So motocross magazines has done scientific research on braces? Also, from what I've read at Leatts website, it's intented to break too under a tough crash.

As mentioned local hospital have seen injuries that the leatt has caused. Without the brace the riders would have walked away without a scratch on em.
You seem to switch alot between demanding scientific independant research and using anecdotes as proof for your own theories. There is plenty anecdotal evidence that says Leatt has prevented catastrophic injuries.

There use in grass roots riding has increased yes. Pros have pretty much stopped using them!
Really? I haven't noticed that all. There seem to be alot more pros using them than before.

How many badly set up leatts have you seen. I saw 2 leatts badly set up at weekend. Worn in such a stupid way there actually more dangerous!
I don't know actually, care to explain in what manner these two Leatt were set up and how they were more dangerous?

Yes you go fast on a dh bike but not 50mph against 30plus other riders over 40-60ft doubles! Not quite the same is it!
No, it's not quite the same but that doesn't make the sport any less dangerous. If there were a sport where you were going 100 mph against 100 riders over 100 ft doubles, would that make it unwarranted to wear protection in motocross?

Until somone does independant research with MTB lids i'm not convinced!
You seem pretty convinced by Alpinestars, have you seen any independant research on those? Note a motocross magazine article is not research.

Also to but into the mix, Moto lids cover much more of the back of your head and generally have a more compact chin piece?! These are what was optimum to work with a leatt not a D2! So again more independant research must be done!
Well as far as I know the design of full face mtb-helmet doesn't prevent the Leatt from doing it's job. The more compact chin piece of some MX-helmets (not all have more compact chin piece) and extra back coverage doesn't mean other designs won't work.

2 years ago I was at Plattekill in November for the last race of the season. About 30 seconds in front of me a fella named Sergio hit a tree and broke his neck. He is a quadrapalegic now. You think he would agree that a neck brace is not necessary for DH?.