Quantcast

Leatt brace question

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
This is for Big-Dave and anyone else who might have missed it the first time around. It's a fairly long read but addresses much of the nonsense and misunderstanding written in this thread and elsewhere:

Part 1

Part 2

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This is for Big-Dave and anyone else who might have missed it the first time around. It's a fairly long read but addresses much of the nonsense and misunderstanding written in this thread and elsewhere:

Part 1

Part 2
People don't needs facts. They need results man! If Hill wins without one, it's empirical evidence that Neetlings brace is ghey and useless. That's all you need to pretend to know.:rant:

dondon

Monkey
Basically at the moment all research that has been carried out was done by leatt or funded by leatt. Call me sceptical but the work they have done increases sales! Could it be clever marketing?
Dr Leatt has been pushing hard for independent standardized testing of neck braces for moto and MTB. Just like they have for their other braces for car/kart applications. where they meet SFI38.1 Standard and SABS standards. No other manufactures are lobbying for the same testing.

In mean time Leatt has done testing with the Moto GPX brace, with respected organizations like BMW Motorrad testing facility in Munich, Germany and the SABS. Funny how no other devices will do the same. It is a proven product not a gimic. If you choose to wear one it would be good to make the right decision. This can save your life.

It is not the speed that causes the damage, while it can contribute, it is the mechanics of the crash itself. If i was wearing one in my slow speed crash i would not have broken my neck. Period. I got lucky and can still ride with my fusion, believe me i did a ton of research before i wrote the articles for Dirt and Decline magazines on the brace. I wanted to make an informed decision for myself and a recommendation to others. While the brace may take some getting used to for some riders and feel awkward for others depending on your body and or style if you are gonna get a brace I wouldn't trust another brace to save your life regardless on price.

Oh and don't be stupid like i was and ride DH (or any MTB) without insurance, im still paying off the massive debt i incurred.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have been considering running a brace for next season. So far I've heard some mixed reviews of the Leatt, a lot of hype about the A*, and lots of no-so-good news about the EVS brace. and I am wondering if anyone has tried or heard much about the Omega Brace?

I have not tried one on, but the design looks good, and reasonably well thought out. Any info?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that you broke your collarbone because you hit the ground with your body and the ground didn't back down.:think:
Let me rephrase that. I am in no way unimpressed with how the brace performed, and the break was caused through a head on impact, meaning without it, it could have been worse.

My only question was sparked by so many people commenting how when set up properly, it will not break your collarbone.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Let me rephrase that. I am in no way unimpressed with how the brace performed, and the break was caused through a head on impact, meaning without it, it could have been worse.

My only question was sparked by so many people commenting how when set up properly, it will not break your collarbone.
I'm really curious how something that sits several inches above your collar bone, and is supported by your sternum/chest and the muscles on your upper back and shoulders can break your collar bone. maybe if you hit something head on with the brace causing it to move or break and hit your collar bone, but in that case i'd expect the bone to break regardless of the Leatt. excuse the pasty complexion, the picture was taken in February:

The only negative i'll agree with is the potential for the metal fasteners and rivets to cut or get imbedded in your skin in a really nasty, brace breaking wreck. But reports of such incidents are extremely rare and i'd be more worried about the potential for my aluminum frame to self destruct underneath me than I would be about getting sliced up by my neck brace, ie it's not something I worry about at all.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Yes you go fast on a dh bike but not 50mph against 30plus other riders over 40-60ft doubles! Not quite the same is it!
Dear Dave

Please advise the maximum speed I can go without breaking my neck.

Obviously you will need to show your calculations, and include evidence of statistical analysis to determine co-efficients that will consider the varied terrain on which I ride/the mode of head-ground interface/the variation in co-efficient of friction of surface I crash into/etc.

Thanks.

I'm really curious how something that sits several inches above your collar bone, and is supported by your sternum/chest and the muscles on your upper back and shoulders can break your collar bone. maybe if you hit something head on with the brace causing it to move or break and hit your collar bone, but in that case i'd expect the bone to break regardless of the Leatt. excuse the pasty complexion, the picture was taken in February:

Snip.

The only negative i'll agree with is the potential for the metal fasteners and rivets to cut or get imbedded in your skin in a really nasty, brace breaking wreck. But reports of such incidents are extremely rare and i'd be more worried about the potential for my aluminum frame to self destruct underneath me than I would be about getting sliced up by my neck brace, ie it's not something I worry about at all.
I find that the little shoulder parts (excuse the technical description) press against the top and back of my collarbones when you press down (hard) on the top of the brace.

I do believe the break was directly related to the brace being too big for me, and as such not being held in place by the muscles of my shoulder chest and back well enough.

This is the xray of my break, which is exactly where the little shoulder parts touch.

I have spoken with the surgeon, who believes it was linked, but of course, being something like a crash, with a thousand contributing factors, it would be impossible to know for sure.

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Basically at the moment all research that has been carried out was done by leatt or funded by leatt. Call me sceptical but the work they have done increases sales! Could it be clever marketing?

The alpinestars is better designed from what has been written in moto x mags. Basically it is designed to crumple in an accident rather than the leatt which is so laterally stiff can cause alternate injurys in a fall...

As mentioned local hospital have seen injuries that the leatt has caused. Without the brace the riders would have walked away without a scratch on em.

There use in grass roots riding has increased yes. Pros have pretty much stopped using them!

How many badly set up leatts have you seen. I saw 2 leatts badly set up at weekend. Worn in such a stupid way there actually more dangerous!

Yes you go fast on a dh bike but not 50mph against 30plus other riders over 40-60ft doubles! Not quite the same is it!

Like i said this is my opinion and how i've come to those conclusions!

Until somone does independant research with MTB lids i'm not convinced!

Also to but into the mix, Moto lids cover much more of the back of your head and generally have a more compact chin piece?! These are what was optimum to work with a leatt not a D2! So again more independant research must be done!
wonder if a D3 makes up for the deficiencies? I runa D2 with my Leatt GPX... and would love a really good reason to upgrade! hehehe...

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
Lat bit of food for thought.. Quote

The catastrophic injuries
that we all want to prevent come about from axial compression. That means landing on your head. A brace will do nothing to dissapate thoses compressive forces, only resisting bending forces.

I doubt that there will be a lower incidence of catastrophic injuries from using the braces.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Lat bit of food for thought.. Quote

The catastrophic injuries
that we all want to prevent come about from axial compression. That means landing on your head. A brace will do nothing to dissapate thoses compressive forces, only resisting bending forces.

I doubt that there will be a lower incidence of catastrophic injuries from using the braces.
Well that just plain wrong. You clearly haven't understood the mechanism of how the Leatt works.

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
It's things like this written by Physicians that have put doubts into my mind...

Dondon i read the articles you have written and both are very interesting.... I also agree with your statement that you need an international standardised testing!

Same route as DH helmets are now going down.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's things like this written by Physicians that have put doubts into my mind...

Dondon i read the articles you have written and both are very interesting.... I also agree with your statement that you need an international standardised testing!

Same route as DH helmets are now going down.
For a guy living in a country that invinted the language...you suck at it.:clue: