Quantcast

Leave Volkswagen alone...she's going through a custody battle.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Indeed....it's not top speed. It's the accelration.

And I discovered that my Jetta is not speed limted. Most cars around here are governed around 180kph. I broke 200 kph the other day and it showed no signs of cutting out.
Exactly...240ftlbs of torque is lurvely, especially when it kicks in at 2k RPM.

Though it did roll to 120mph between St. George and Beaver without breaking a sweat :busted:

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
blue: uping the injectors really is the next step if you want the most bang from the apr chip.

larson: are those 5x112? how much $ were you thinking?
they're 5x112 but I have 15mm 5x100 custom made adaptors that I used for them. $3500 complete with pilot sports $3000 without adaptors.

Here is a real life chip only dyno for you kiddies..

APR 93 isn't the most aggressive chip either.

Non beleivers go to the beach.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
didn't that kill your offset?
In the Whoretex realm, suspension geometry and how the car drives be damned... ;)

I really really like the look of a dropped Mk4, but am concerned about jacking up suspension geo. I think suspension off of a 20th/337/GLI might help me out, though...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ah... form over function. Yeah, I never got that.
All you need are stretched tires and a 3" drop to be accepted.

I've never understood it...people with 400whp VR turbo engines in their cars and totally wiggedy whack suspension/wheel setups, like tiny donut spares stretched over widened 14" steelies.

Oh well, to each their own I suppose...

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
didn't that kill your offset?
No, they were built for an S4 to look staggered. They're 8.5 all around with no crazy offset, the 15mm adaptors help it as well as usual adaptors are 20-30mm:disgust1: I totally forget what the offset is now (19/23 I think) but it's nothing extreme.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All you need are stretched tires and a 3" drop to be accepted.

I've never understood it...people with 400whp VR turbo engines in their cars and totally wiggedy whack suspension/wheel setups, like tiny donut spares stretched over widened 14" steelies.

Oh well, to each their own I suppose...
Well, maybe 14s is on the small/dumb side, but there are a lot of things you can do to improve handling besides getting bigger wheels, and if your wheels and tires are bigger, you might end up with more rotational mass, even if the wheel weighs a little less. They aren't sure-improvements, and money can be much better spent in other areas. The wheels on my WRX are one of the last places that I'll upgrade, because it makes far more sense to do swaybars, towers+struts, and so forth first. To some extent, the flashy wheels are more about form over function. I'd rather have my car look stock and handle better anyway, than look all whacked out and not necessarily handly any better.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
they're 5x112 but I have 15mm 5x100 custom made adaptors that I used for them. $3500 complete with pilot sports $3000 without adaptors.

Here is a real life chip only dyno for you kiddies..

APR 93 isn't the most aggressive chip either.

Non beleivers go to the beach.

wow that dyno graph proves everything...what was I thinking...D

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
wow that dyno graph proves everything...what was I thinking...D

It does prove that you didn't know what you were talking about, I'm sure you own a a mustang or diesel truck...well maybe not a diesel or else you'd know that the same tech. nets gains like or more than this.

That's a good 24whp and near 50 tq for $400-500 and 15 minutes of your time. I'm not defending the VW scene at ALL, I can't stand most of them but seriously know what you're talking about before commenting.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
It does prove that you didn't know what you were talking about, I'm sure you own a a mustang or diesel truck...well maybe not a diesel or else you'd know that the same tech. nets gains like or more than this.

That's a good 24whp and near 50 tq for $400-500 and 15 minutes of your time. I'm not defending the VW scene at ALL, I can't stand most of them but seriously know what you're talking about before commenting.

yeah ok you pegged me perfectly...and like I said before that graph proves nothing....I can pull up a million dyno sheets from the net and claim just about anything....D

Edited: never mind why bother

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
yeah ok you pegged me perfectly...and like I said before that graph proves nothing....I can pull up a million dyno sheets from the net and claim just about anything....D

Edited: never mind why bother
Sorry, this wasn't "just pulled up" NGP is a local shop.

Edited: yes give up, you clearly don't have a clue.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Look I got nothing personal against you...all I'm saying is I have been around and racing cars too long to find it all believable....Now I'll be the 1st to admit I know squat about Euro cars, imports are my thing but adding 50 hp to a stock car and have it still be reliable seems a bit far fetched...I have seen many try and it never works out with upgraded support...D

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Racing cars? This has nothing to do with racing cars, I've done BMW DE and autox events but that matters not here.
I said do research you'll find that the 1.8t motor is strong up till 350ish, it's the tq that kills it. I don't get the whole over 300hp in FWD thing but whatever. I'm upgrading the turbo on mine soon with a K04 which is the stock TT 225 turbo. All that consists of is a new gasket kit, the turbo and software. 230hp-280tq and COMPLETLY RELIABLE. it's all OEM parts other than the software. Yes there are higher HP apps that need injectors, manifold and all the normal stuff but If you drive it like a jerkoff yes it's going to cause turbo, clutch or axel failure, it also decreses timing belt life as well.

I don't race my car or drive it hard, it's maintained and I have yet to have a problem with the extra boost...along witht he thousands of others.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Racing cars? This has nothing to do with racing cars, I've done BMW DE and autox events but that matters not here.
I said do research you'll find that the 1.8t motor is strong up till 350ish, it's the tq that kills it. I don't get the whole over 300hp in FWD thing but whatever. I'm upgrading the turbo on mine soon with a K04 which is the stock TT 225 turbo. All that consists of is a new gasket kit, the turbo and software. 230hp-280tq and COMPLETLY RELIABLE. it's all OEM parts other than the software. Yes there are higher HP apps that need injectors, manifold and all the normal stuff but If you drive it like a jerkoff yes it's going to cause turbo, clutch or axel failure, it also decreses timing belt life as well.

I don't race my car or drive it hard, it's maintained and I have yet to have a problem with the extra boost...along witht he thousands of others.

OK, I can see where you're coming from...I'm thinking more from a racing aspect....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Look I got nothing personal against you...all I'm saying is I have been around and racing cars too long to find it all believable....Now I'll be the 1st to admit I know squat about Euro cars, imports are my thing but adding 50 hp to a stock car and have it still be reliable seems a bit far fetched...I have seen many try and it never works out with upgraded support...D
Seriously D, just read this...

http://www.18turbo.com/18t-chips.html

Performance
The main reason you want to buy a chip!! The various levels of performance among the chips range from a lower 0.8 bar to a 1.3 bar chip. Bascially a lower boost chip will net less p
ower but with a smoother output, while the higher boost chips will net more power but will be more abrupt in its power delivery. Depending on your engine code the performace increase does vary. For example the AWD engine code will see the least amount of power gains among all 1.8T's. On average most chips run at about 1.1 bar and will increase power to about 200 hp from the stock 150. As I stated though other engine codes vary in performance; according to the APR 93 octance programs the following values pertain to the various engine codes. AWD = 204hp, AWW, AWP = 215hp.

When looking for a chip there are 4 major brands used by enthusiasts today;
1) GIAC
2) APR
3) Upsolute
4) Neuspeed

There are a few others out there but these 4 seem to provide the best overall performance levels.
Stock turbo engines are always great for this, for the most part. Chip tuning can give massive increases in power (once again, depending on the engine - my understanding is that Subi sells their turbo cars at almost their stock limitations, correct me if I'm wrong).

Still debating between APR and GIAC...I wish I could drive both programs with no other mods before deciding. REVO is enticing but I don't think they have any dealers in SLC.

edit: I'll definitely go to a K04 when my turbo goes...Though a GT3582R would be fantastic. Mmm, no boost until 5k RPM. :rolleyes:

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
So why do you do all that stuff to it? :confused:
Why people upgrade bike parts when they're not broken? I'm an enthusiast, I enjoy my car. I change things that in my eyes should have been that way from the factory. It's 95% OEM, just changed parts from other models from VW/Audi from US and europe. I just have a chip right now, I don't own the road.

Everything you see there is OEM (except the XM antenna)
I'm probably selling it next year when I move to CA. Tacomas own me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Why people upgrade bike parts when they're not broken? I'm an enthusiast, I enjoy my car. I change things that in my eyes should have been that way from the factory. It's 95% OEM, just changed parts from other models from VW/Audi from US and europe. I just have a chip right now, I don't own the road.
Just curious, that's all. It seems a shame not to drive a car like that like a bat out of hell. :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Seriously D, just read this...

http://www.18turbo.com/18t-chips.html

Stock turbo engines are always great for this, for the most part. Chip tuning can give massive increases in power (once again, depending on the engine - my understanding is that Subi sells their turbo cars at almost their stock limitations, correct me if I'm wrong).

Still debating between APR and GIAC...I wish I could drive both programs with no other mods before deciding. REVO is enticing but I don't think they have any dealers in SLC.
so Blue you get this 50HP gain on 91 octane right?....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
so Blue you get this 50HP gain on 91 octane right?....D
Most chips come with a few different programs swappable with a plugin tool or cruise control (APR). I'll probably just get 91 octane and 100 for when I feel spendy...but yes, I believe advertised gains are on pump gas. 100 only gives about 10% more IIRC.

BTW, Larson, I'm stealing your wheels while you sleep. I want those...badly. 337?