Votes: 45 70.3%
  • yes ima girl

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I have a racing strip shaved into my leg now because my girlfriends friends think that it's funny to shave stuff into my hairy legs when I fall asleep.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a racing strip shaved into my leg now because my girlfriends friends think that it's funny to shave stuff into my hairy legs when I fall asleep.
you must learn to bang them all first so you all fall asleep together....you have many years in front of you young grasshopper.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, check it..... There are actual benefits to shaving your legs.

Actually probably moe so with Mtn bikes than road bikes.

First off, let me start off with saying, it really doesnt have naything to do with aerodynamics, while it plays a factor, its a small one.

First off..... Heat.... you can shed heat better
Second.... Harder for ticks to grab on
Third..... Easier to control infection when you crash

Ok not all of these apply to DH, seeing how you should be wearing knee pads as is, so for DH I would go after infection control and Tick defense.

Non riding plus's, socks stay in place better
The ladies really do dig it
It shows off your leg muscles Much better
It feels good

My personal reasons,
Heat control
Tick protection when in the woods
Infection control
Tatoos to show off, lets face it, they look better without the hair
My wife friggin loves it.

About once a month for me.

Oh, just to add, the infection control is really simple. Ever try to clean out a wound through your hair? Also pay attention to how long it takes to heal with the hair....There is a reason why Doctors shave you before a surgery, or when cleaning a wound.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am going to debate the "my legs are cooler" argument...

W/o hair on the legs, the persperation just evaporates right off. With hair, the bodies natural coolant (sweat) remains on or near the skin. This is why you see folks in the desert with long sleeves, even in the heat of summer.

And yeah, I used to shave, back in my roadie/Greg Lemond wanna be days. Chicks did dig it...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I am going to debate the "my legs are cooler" argument...

W/o hair on the legs, the persperation just evaporates right off. With hair, the bodies natural coolant (sweat) remains on or near the skin. This is why you see folks in the desert with long sleeves, even in the heat of summer.

And yeah, I used to shave, back in my roadie/Greg Lemond wanna be days. Chicks did dig it...
The evaporation is the cooling. Sweat staying on the skin is not dissipating heat. (Check out latent heat)

Hot dry climates are a little different, and you probably want to try and retain the moisture.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think it feels great in the summer. Plus, i also hated taking off my shin guards and having all of my leg hair all slicked down and nasty lookin.

It seriously feels great in the summer. Plus, my lady doesn't want me lookin like Robin Williams. She doesn't want to feel like she should be "petting" me because of all of the hair.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I used to power lift competitively, toyed with the idea of competitive bodybuilding too. You see it in the gyms alot, all the self lovers, pretty boys and ego-maniacs, in addition to the bodybuilders.

The worst part was when your uber macho friend types would ask...the best part when the girlies would ask :banana::biggrin::happydance::brows:

I am just diggin the smileys today...

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Let them shave whatever they want. I guarantee youll get some unless your a chud. Gfs generally go for threesomes when its their friends that suggest them.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Ok, check it..... There are actual benefits to shaving your legs.

Actually probably moe so with Mtn bikes than road bikes.

First off, let me start off with saying, it really doesnt have naything to do with aerodynamics, while it plays a factor, its a small one.

First off..... Heat.... you can shed heat better
Second.... Harder for ticks to grab on
Third..... Easier to control infection when you crash

Ok not all of these apply to DH, seeing how you should be wearing knee pads as is, so for DH I would go after infection control and Tick defense.

Non riding plus's, socks stay in place better
The ladies really do dig it
It shows off your leg muscles Much better
It feels good

My personal reasons,
Heat control
Tick protection when in the woods
Infection control
Tatoos to show off, lets face it, they look better without the hair
My wife friggin loves it.

About once a month for me.

Oh, just to add, the infection control is really simple. Ever try to clean out a wound through your hair? Also pay attention to how long it takes to heal with the hair....There is a reason why Doctors shave you before a surgery, or when cleaning a wound.
This is all spot on.

Mud wont stick or clump as much, and will be easier to brush off. Its also the end of them getting yanked out 1 by 1 from pads.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why are all you west coasters worried about ticks? lime disease is a lot more prevalent here on the east than anywhere else in the country. ticks are nasty and do suck, but disease isnt as big of a issue out west

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
funny you would say that. There's a lady in the office that had to go to the doctor this morning for having a tick. I haven't heard where it is on her body, but i'm sure it came home with her sons or hubby. They're hardcore hunters. She doesn't go out much. She's being all top secret about it right now. I have no idea what they even do if one of them gets on you.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Seventeen, aren't you the crack addict nut job who had some trouble with some gay guy with AIDS?
WHOA. Dag. Both barrels.

:popcorn:

re: ticks...local rider KC that happens to be a Doc has already has diagnosed one case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever this year.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I thought I had lymes disease once but it turned out I was just really bored.
One time I threw up at a furniture store because I was so bored that I became delusional and dizzy. The lady that was helping us had a great look on her face.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
why are all you west coasters worried about ticks? lime disease is a lot more prevalent here on the east than anywhere else in the country. ticks are nasty and do suck, but disease isnt as big of a issue out west
Rocky mountain fever is a big one out here, but thats not what Iam personally worried about, We have ALOT of ticks in our local mountains here towards the Forrest falls/angelous oaks area, and its not that I am worried about getting Lyme's disease, or rocky mountain fever.... its infection that I am worried about.

Imagine that infection going unnoticed for a couple days, it gets worse, very fast, you go to teh doctor, get meds, it still gets worse, it gets fsliced and flushed, getin into your muscle, possibly blood stream...... This is actually the bigger problem with getting ticks when your participating in sports such at this, where you could get a tick underneath your kneepads, where it digs in with all the hair, and sweat, and heat while your out hammering out a long ride, maybe it never gets fully latched on but still digs in just enough to leave a nice little infection to be starting up.

Seventeen, aren't you the crack addict nut job who had some trouble with some gay guy with AIDS?
No, No, No.... Get your users correct, that was Red Rabbit

nothing like the feel of a epilady after a wooly winter

Your out of your damn mind. My wife has one of those, and I figured what the hell, it says it takes longer to come back. I made it about 2 inches and threw the thing across the bathroom. Its like getting waxed in slow motion

By the way, good to see you on teh monkey again

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you shave your legs to prevent getting ticks then do you shave your head as well ?

But if it helps you get your fishnets on without getting a run then do what you gotta do.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you shave your legs to prevent getting ticks then do you shave your head as well ?

But if it helps you get your fishnets on without getting a run then do what you gotta do.
Ha, Actually, not because of that, but yeah I normally shave my head in teh summer time. If I have hair during the thick of the season out here, I will wear a thin head wrap under my helmet. My hair isnt exactly thick as it is, so I keep a headwrap handy, I sunburn easily.

Dont bag on the fishnets, Rocky horror Picture show is coming up.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Rocky mountain fever is a big one out here, but thats not what Iam personally worried about, We have ALOT of ticks in our local mountains here towards the Forrest falls/angelous oaks area, and its not that I am worried about getting Lyme's disease, or rocky mountain fever.... its infection that I am worried about.

Imagine that infection going unnoticed for a couple days, it gets worse, very fast, you go to teh doctor, get meds, it still gets worse, it gets fsliced and flushed, getin into your muscle, possibly blood stream...... This is actually the bigger problem with getting ticks when your participating in sports such at this, where you could get a tick underneath your kneepads, where it digs in with all the hair, and sweat, and heat while your out hammering out a long ride, maybe it never gets fully latched on but still digs in just enough to leave a nice little infection to be starting up.
fair enough

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have fairly hairy legs and have seen my share of road rash - the resulting scab on a leg that has not been shaved is more difficult to care for. I used to shave my legs in the 80s but haven't done so in many years - it just takes too much time and effort to keep it up.

When I was road racing in the Seattle area, a rainy time trail would leave grit encrusted on my lower legs that was not easily removed without soapy water - riders who do shave their legs don't seem to attract as much road grime.

As for heat - shaved legs feel hotter standing still, cooler when moving. My experience anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A buddy of mine shaves his pits.

Sounds silly, but he says it cuts down on the odor.