Quantcast

Leogang 2024

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seen Lachy and his mate Oly’s mud run from Schladders they just posted this week? That kid is supremely watchable when riding bikes.
And for that reason alone he’s staying on my fantasy team all year.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First world cup I've seen in person. That track is sick. The best DH track I have ever seen.
just re-watched it. I actually remember watching that race live thinking there's no way Blenki could beat Hill.... Totally forgot about Fairclough's tumble though... that looked gnarly. And Rob commenting on how good he could be if only he got fit :rofl:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Seen Lachy and his mate Oly’s mud run from Schladders they just posted this week? That kid is supremely watchable when riding bikes.
And for that reason alone he’s staying on my fantasy team all year.

Reece Wilson posted some insane Schladders clip too.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
First world cup I've seen in person. That track is sick. The best DH track I have ever seen.
Mine would be Vail 2001. That was a sweet track. But not in the works anymore. Which is a shame. You can find bits and pieces of it, if you look hard, but that's about it. I think Vital has "clappin yo dome" that has a section of that. If I recall correctly. I could be wrong.

In person, I saw a young Miiiinnnaaaarrr doubling up a sweet rock section which took all the spectators on a high. And Nico, whew. True master in the flesh. Just to name a couple highlights.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Mine was MSA in 1997 or 1998. My father had handed me his old Canon 35mm film camera and I think that it was the first roll I ever shot. I remember taking a picture of Brian Lopes tabletoping the under-the-gondola jump mid-track and it was probably my first ever successful manual film camera shot.

There were so many prototype bikes, like the yellow-green-red single pivot Gary Fisher with a huge downtube. I still have the film negatives somewhere, I should scan those.

Back then Palmer was my idol (I was 13 or 14) and I was too shy to see him to sign my Specialized « Napalm » signature gloves. My friend (who suddenly passed away last year just 2 months before his retirement) pushed me and said « go ahead don’t miss that chance » and Palmer signed my gloves. I raced DH the next two years and I wore those every time. I still have them at home with some year 2000 dirt on them.

That’s a fond memory that forever hooked me on DH racing and reminds me that as cheesy as it sounds, we have to live each day to the fullest.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
my Specialized « Napalm » signature gloves.[...]. I raced DH the next two years and I wore those every time. I still have them at home with some year 2000 dirt on them.

That’s a fond memory that forever hooked me on DH racing and reminds me that as cheesy as it sounds, we have to live each day to the fullest.
You managed to get 2+ years from those gloves? I remember getting them in maybe 2000 or 2001 and they were absolute dogshit in terms of durability. I went through 2 pairs in 2 years. Maybe later model years were worse?

A great memory tho.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I only wore them for races, which were not many, and they did not seem like they would hold long indeed!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
3:11 for talk from the old Pole team.

From what he says, they only have one frame per rider and no chance of replacement. He says its a good bike, strong and without any problems so it should last the year. But then goes on to say that the team can't do any extra curricular riding for testing, to prolong the life and whatnot of the frames.

That just sounds crazy to me. If Pole is bankrupt and no more, whats the point of even running their frames or caring if they last the season? Just grab some Santa Cruz v10's and move on...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I'm guessing that they're just used to this frame and have no extra money to buy other/extra frames from another company, but they'll be on something else next year or if/when their Pole frames break.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

From what he says, they only have one frame per rider and no chance of replacement. He says its a good bike, strong and without any problems so it should last the year. But then goes on to say that the team can't do any extra curricular riding for testing, to prolong the life and whatnot of the frames.

That just sounds crazy to me. If Pole is bankrupt and no more, whats the point of even running their frames or caring if they last the season? Just grab some Santa Cruz v10's and move on...

wouldn't it come down to budget? they also lost a lot of cash as I recall, so maybe they can't afford new frames?

edit: sniped by Konifere!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

A little further info on the Seton/Pole team set up.

I hadn’t considered that if the team collapsed, how tough it would be for the riders to accrue the points needed to race next year. What a dumb situation.

I hope they show well at Leogang. It seems that pretty much any frame sponsor could get a pretty big boost to their profile, and some good will from race fans for the relatively low cost of two frames.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not too many WC riders want to change frames mid-season hey. They will if they have to or if there's an obviously better option, but you always hear about riders sticking with the old frame till the off-season.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Maybe it's the only frame that works with how dense Dan Slack is. Did I read it correctly he's 170cm and above 90kg?

Though yeah. I bet they could get some frames from a sponsor looking for easy PR but that's probably a hassle for the riders.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pinkbike have his stats at 5’7” and 93kg but I dunno. From pics and video footage from Ft William one of those numbers sounds a little iffy to me. Maybe he just hides it really well.

1717766170661.jpeg

Impressive transformation.

1717766404802.png

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
So many videos form Channels trying to make it exciting, it’s just such a shit track!
Since discovery and co have took over WC DH it’s just got no soul left! I don’t even care anymore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah more like 63-73kg.
He's definitely bigger now. That second pic is ironically an older pic still up on Fit4racing. Promoting that Osian and Dan are both trained by him.
Seems kinda odd that Dan would bulk up by 20+kg and Osain wouldn't when using the same trainer tho.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So many videos form Channels trying to make it exciting, it’s just such a shit track!
Since discovery and co have took over WC DH it’s just got no soul left! I don’t even care anymore.
Don't watch Wyns track walk. At the end Loic discloses forth coming changes.
What a shit show!

RIP WC DH

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If there is one thing I demand from white people at mountain resorts, it is soul!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That was awesome. So good to have a top guy with an actual personality again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
He's definitely bigger now. That second pic is ironically an older pic still up on Fit4racing. Promoting that Osian and Dan are both trained by him.
Seems kinda odd that Dan would bulk up by 20+kg and Osain wouldn't when using the same trainer tho.
Seems odd anyone would bulk up to 93kg at that height for this sport tbh. It seems everyone starts circling a specific body type and even Loic said he needs to drop some weight in 2023 and he is leaner in 2024

I will watch the trackwalk later but what are the changes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Seems odd anyone would bulk up to 93kg at that height for this sport tbh. It seems everyone starts circling a specific body type and even Loic said he needs to drop some weight in 2023 and he is leaner in 2024

Changes look minor, just a grassy bit near the top and then a tiny new section in the woods near the bottom.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Reese spots a triple before the stump section. (Maybe he’ll do it to keep himself relevant) and a couple tighter taped (stupid poles #NoXeno) sections. Seems about all.
Wyns walks are for the banter for me rather than actual track info

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not having protected people seems like a bad idea but maybe it will lead to the big teams pressuring everyone to end the semis. Ffs. Just don't televise the people outside of the top30. Freecaster and RB didn't show everyone. Do full 60. Stop making it complicated. Trying to make it fit for Eurosport is silly