Quantcast

Leogang World Cup - Live Thread

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I am amazed Brendan had such a decent time after watching his run on freecaster, it looked like he either was riding uninspired, had an issue, or had a crash..then I saw his split and was like "what the?" Anyone else notice that?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
actually, i thought Brendog was having awesome fun. doubling stuff most peeps rolled. He looked awesome. i almost dont understand why he lost so much time, the lazy sod. needs to learn to turn cranks more.

But I'm super impressed with Blenki. So many mistakes, yet coming in 4th. was it blenki or the bike? Hell, even he was surprised he took pole position for the qualifiers. That new bike landed with a bang!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
actually, i thought Brendog was having awesome fun. doubling stuff most peeps rolled. He looked awesome. i almost dont understand why he lost so much time, the lazy sod. needs to learn to turn cranks more.

But I'm super impressed with Blenki. So many mistakes, yet coming in 4th. was it blenki or the bike? Hell, even he was surprised he took pole position for the qualifiers. That new bike landed with a bang!
I dont think I said he did not look awesome, just looked like something was wrong, yet still FAST. I noticed myself saying a couple times, "oh man, he must have crashed, or he lost his chain". And Blenki, wow, his run was all over the place, must have been flat out to still have a top time. All those guys are out of their minds...so talented.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Damn! The Kiwis are coming into their own!

More kiwis in the top 30 than any other country except UK (which has 10 times as many people)!

Yeah!!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Minnaar is a whole new rider this year. The last few years he's been endlessly critiqued by everyone with 2 cents to give away about being a one dimensional power rider like Rennie but this year Greg has showed the exact opposite traits. Winning all the technical, wet world cups where he's been expected to lack and losing on the track that is usually his bread and butter as far as wins and points go(ignoring the supposed "excuses" Greg had after Fort Bill). I'm only speculating as to what Stik meant but thats the way I see it. Here we have the most well rounded downhiller since Nico in the making, a rider who wins on the physical pedal fests and then comes to the slop and bogs of Europe and schools everyone again. But again, thats my opinion, its up to you if you choose to believe it or not.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Minnaar is a whole new rider this year. The last few years he's been endlessly critiqued by everyone with 2 cents to give away about being a one dimensional power rider like Rennie but this year Greg has showed the exact opposite traits. Winning all the technical, wet world cups where he's been expected to lack and losing on the track that is usually his bread and butter as far as wins and points go(ignoring the supposed "excuses" Greg had after Fort Bill). I'm only speculating as to what Stik meant but thats the way I see it. Here we have the most well rounded downhiller since Nico in the making, a rider who wins on the physical pedal fests and then comes to the slop and bogs of Europe and schools everyone again. But again, thats my opinion, its up to you if you choose to believe it or not.
The battle Hill vs Greg in MSA Worlds will be awesome.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I think Sam should just chill the rest of the season and come back strong in '11. Dont think he should push an injury for a good show, as we all know what he can do when he's on form. As for Gwin...way to go dude!!! Awsome f**kin run!! I think he's gonna get a win this year, I've got my fingers crossed. Would be sick to have an American at the top of the podium.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Primo...more or less, yes. Greg is showing domination on all sorts of tracks and when I saw Gee's run and time I said "thats it, its done, no one is beating that ride" and then came Greg.

I think this win puts Greg in 3rd place of all time world cup wins? at 12?...Nico 16 and Peaty 17? Sam has 10?

And Gwin, GAH (Greatest American Hero) currently and been far too long. You really have to consider him a favorite at worlds, MSA was when he kind of broke on to the scene, he clearly did not even have a stellar run here today (judging by his frustration at the finish) so throw in some more experience by MSA and USA could get some rainbows.

And I am stoked for all my Intense equipped racers, 4 riders in top 10, I just wish Kovariks fire could get reignited.

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Looks like Greg got a phonecall from slowitdown last night and got some tips on how to ride holes FTW this afternoon. Rad.
Actually Greg's win proves my point, which was --and is-- that the holes were not a problem.

Please try your mind-reading skills some other time.:p

If I had to speculate about Minnaar's and Peat's complaints about the holes after the track-walk, I'd say it was to give the journos something to write. Feel free to make another bad guess at what my remarks have meant up 'til now, though! :D

Re Minnaar's wins this year: he's always been an incredible rider. I'd bet he's a bit tired of everyone hanging onto Sam Hill's every move, and is determined to show that he's not eclipsed by Mr Flat Pedal Turn Rooster.

Of course it helps a bit that Hill is out with injury, but in the past Minnaar has been out with shoulder injury/surgery too.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Re Minnaar's wins this year: he's always been an incredible rider. I'd bet he's a bit tired of everyone hanging onto Sam Hill's every move, and is determined to show that he's not eclipsed by Mr Flat Pedal Turn Rooster.
Aaaaah, come on! It is not Greg, it is CLEARLY the carbon frame and rims that make him a better rider this year! Go out and buy them to elevate your riding to the next level! ;) :D

Let's see if SC hires me for the marketing department. :D

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think its hilarious how people argue about what a WC track should be, or whether or not the pros find it "fun" or they "like" it. Why the hell would I care about that. Zomfg minnar/hill/gwinn aren't having fun! The humanity!!

The only thing that's important is that people aren't breaking their necks, and the racing is competetive and close. As much as I love champery, hill winning qualifying by 14 seconds is kinda stupid. Tracks like canberra although 'lamer' by most standards, had to be one of the most interesting races in years.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I think its hilarious how people argue about what a WC track should be, or whether or not the pros find it "fun" or they "like" it. Why the hell would I care about that. Zomfg minnar/hill/gwinn aren't having fun! The humanity!!

The only thing that's important is that people aren't breaking their necks, and the racing is competetive and close. As much as I love champery, hill winning qualifying by 14 seconds is kinda stupid. Tracks like canberra although 'lamer' by most standards, had to be one of the most interesting races in years.
I dont think were going to see any major winning margins like we used to, but if there are racers that can excel riding extremely difficult terrain where others are unable to, then all the power to them. That being said it still takes a well rounded rider to take the WC overall.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I dont think were going to see any major winning margins like we used to, but if there are racers that can excel riding extremely difficult terrain where others are unable to, then all the power to them. That being said it still takes a well rounded rider to take the WC overall.
Wait...are you calling Hill a well-rounded rider? Can't you get banned for posting that?!?:eek:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
slowitdowns mind: where reality goes to die
That's a good try at the funny but ultimately -- the fail. Why? You don't know what's going on in my mind, you can only project your best guess at it. And like many, you are guessing wrong! Hence, big PHAIL!:D

Gwin is proving that he's the real deal for sure. Consistent great performance. He needs to practice wet stuff a bit more and then... BOOM! My fellow Americans, we will have our top UCI DH pro!

Did Gwin get much practice racing moto in the slop? He must've had some. His performance in the wet this year is great, he's only off the winning pace by small amounts.

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Funny no-one has mentioned that Aussie kid who's pretty on it in these moist and slippy conditions! Pity for the series that he's done. Sounds like he could be done for the season maybe too. Shame.

Gwin's on for a win soon, MSA like Stikman said?

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Funny no-one has mentioned that Aussie kid who's pretty on it in these moist and slippy conditions! Pity for the series that he's done. Sounds like he could be done for the season maybe too. Shame.

Gwin's on for a win soon, MSA like Stikman said?
At least if he won that he wouldn't have to wear that stupid looking UAS national champ jersey :D

fearless

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
The kiwi riders have having a mighty fine year so far. NZ junior rider George Brannigan has taken the white jersey from Troy Brosnan. It was a good day for the all white jerseys in MTBing and Soccer.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Watched the Bryceland crash, didn't Cecric say Bryceland's face was already jacked up from practice? Teeth knocked out? Ouch. That kid is still a future WC winner. I'm sure of it, I don't know when it will be, but he's gonna be winning races.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It was a race of attrition all week. Just when you thought someone had it made, they'd go down like a pile of bricks in the mud, and probably land on an electric fence. It was crazy. To those who stayed up, well done! Photos to come. Sitting in milan airport at 3:!5 am trying not to pass out.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
The kiwi riders have having a mighty fine year so far. NZ junior rider George Brannigan has taken the white jersey from Troy Brosnan. It was a good day for the all white jerseys in MTBing and Soccer.
:thumb: - and what about Cam Cole :eek: , 2006 Junior World Champ is coming of age?. Impressive to say the least :weee:

This has got to be one of the best seasons of DH to date, just love the way everyone is mixing it up :cheers:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Suprised no one has mentioned what Hill might have been able to do in those conditions... Stellar performances by Gee and Greg nontheless.