Quantcast

Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Bear is an extreme fella, has some interesting but not always intelligent ways of doing things.
Les is the man, to the ignorant adventurer in me he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Yea, TV kinda sucks but I am laid up w/ a broken leg so it is now my new best friend.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One stays at a hotel and has his crew help him when necessary. The other doesn't.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
+1

+1 I saw an episode with Bear where he made a raft and they ends were cut off smooth like they had used a chain saw or something. :think:
One episode had a metal fire ring and stacks of split firewood in the background. Life can be tough at the KOA.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
One of my favourite Stroud moments is in the Temagami episode with the simulated plane crash in the winter, and he decides to attempt it with a "broken arm". Halfway through: "F*ck it, this is too friggin hard with one arm."

Stroud knows his chit.

I also really like the time in Alaska when he catches wayyyy too many salmon.

If you people like Stroud check out Ray Mears....he's got a few shows: "Extreme Survival", "World of Survival", "Bushcraft"....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are vastly different people.

Bear is a spec ops guy who went through stuff like SERE, while Stroud is a traditional survivalist. When they did the background on him leading up to taping "Off the Grid", he was a hardcore hippie survivalist who practices what he preaches.

After doing years in Spec Ops, I don't blame him for staying in hotels. It's a TV show.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
les stroud for real and useful survival strategies, grylls for badassness. Though I think they should change grylls' show to him getting chased across various terrains by commandos/terrorists/police/bears/penguins to see if he can get away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They are vastly different people.

Bear is a spec ops guy who went through stuff like SERE, while Stroud is a traditional survivalist. When they did the background on him leading up to taping "Off the Grid", he was a hardcore hippie survivalist who practices what he preaches.

After doing years in Spec Ops, I don't blame him for staying in hotels. It's a TV show.
The only thing that really gets me about Bear's show is that the stuff he does would get you killed, pure stunt-entertainment show.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
On one episode, Bear Grylls killed and skinned a rattle snake, and then peed inside the skin using it like a canteen. Later, he drank his own piss from inside the festering snakeskin.
Les has to cook his grasshoppers and remove their heads before he eats them.

Les basically sits there and starves for a week until the crew arrives to pick him up. Grylls finds water and heads downhill, killing and eating things raw for no reason, and performing stupid stunts along the way. Grylls almost always "happens upon" a freshly dead caribou or deer in each episode as well. Amazing how that happens.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
One stays at a hotel and has his crew help him when necessary. The other doesn't.
that was, as far as i know, one instance.
yes, les does it all himself and has absolutely no lifeline, which i respect.
HOWEVER, bear does much more extreme things, and goes many places where hotels are not available. i gotta respect the special forces in that guy, even if he doesn't do it alone, he does it right. so bear.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On one episode, Bear Grylls killed and skinned a rattle snake, and then peed inside the skin using it like a canteen. Later, he drank his own piss from inside the festering snakeskin.
Les has to cook his grasshoppers and remove their heads before he eats them.

Les basically sits there and starves for a week until the crew arrives to pick him up. Grylls finds water and heads downhill, killing and eating things raw for no reason, and performing stupid stunts along the way. Grylls almost always "happens upon" a freshly dead caribou or deer in each episode as well. Amazing how that happens.
The reality is that in a survival situation you are better starving, you've got a couple weeks before you die, actually the average american probably has a 6-month supply of fat. You eat something that gives you the ****s it can kill you in a few days.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The reality is that in a survival situation you are better starving, you've got a couple weeks before you die, actually the average american probably has a 6-month supply of fat. You eat something that gives you the ****s it can kill you in a few days.

Well, maybe. Depends on the situation. Ever bonked on a ride?
Sure you can stay alive a long time with no food, if you're just sitting there waiting for rescue... but say you have to hike out of somewhere... a few days struggle off trail? You could exhaust yourself within a matter of hours depending on terrain.

Not saying you should eat raw, rancid flesh and maggots, but searching finding food could mean the difference between life and death.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, maybe. Depends on the situation. Ever bonked on a ride?
Sure you can stay alive a long time with no food, if you're just sitting there waiting for rescue... but say you have to hike out of somewhere... a few days struggle off trail? You could exhaust yourself within a matter of hours depending on terrain.

Not saying you should eat raw, rancid flesh and maggots, but searching finding food could mean the difference between life and death.
Bonked enough to know that if I keep my effort low I can keep moving for a long time.

Not a survivalist but have learned myself a plenty on nourishment for endurance. Your body primarily runs off of fat under 65% effort. Your body has a lot of stored fat. However your brain runs on carbs alone, you can metabolize other things into carbs to keep the brain alive but never running at the same level. Bonking is running your blood sugar low. For a short term survival situation, it is probably more important to get your hands on a source of carbs to keep your brain fueled than it is to eat protein/fat to keep your muscles moving.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only thing that really gets me about Bear's show is that the stuff he does would get you killed, pure stunt-entertainment show.
It's military training, not fancy Hollywood stunt action. Yes, most military training would likely kill you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watch Man vs Wild occasionally, starting when James Kim took his family down a closed dirt road in Oregon and stranded them.

But it does make it seem like Bear is out there alone and helpless, it just isn't.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anyone who honestly thinks Bear is anything other than a poser needs to go buy an Xterra and get Xtreem in it.

Just read the disclaimer at the beginning of the show. It translates: many of these situations are contrived and or faked and Bear has experts and crew helping him.

Also, watch him try to hide a life vest under a sweatshirt while he floats down a river or pretend he is not wearing a harness and rope while climbing a vine.

Edit: read this article if you think Bear is the real deal

http://range.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/more-bear-grylls-fakery/

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
But it's fake, like WWE! We need to get the word out!
I'm pretty sure I don't watch it to learn how to survive in the wild. I'm also pretty sure it was real when Bear bit the head off a live frog and ate it. It's just entertainment. I like both shows.

Les is filming a new series. I'm a Facebook fan (ghey) and enjoy his updates to see what latest stomach virus he's gotten. :D

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm sorry but it really grinds my gears when people try to deceive me. Even if it's a TV show.

It's ok though, after my rant I think my panties are unbunching.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Bear's show is dumb, survivor man is awesome!

I like the realistic aspect of Survivorman. 90% of the crap bear pulls would kill you and make survival turn into recovery.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm sorry but it really grinds my gears when people try to deceive me. Even if it's a TV show.

It's ok though, after my rant I think my panties are unbunching.
Yes, the crap he does on the show is a little crazy, but he has the background to back it up. The man broke his back and wasn't supposed to walk again, damn.