Quantcast

Let's get your input abou this lawsuit.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
this isn't really anything new from specialized, but it sounds like they've gotten more aggressive about it.
Sounds in line with what I've heard in the past. And personally, Specialized is pretty low on the totem already.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'm pretty sure that the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the Clayton whatever was intentionally left vague for courts to interpret as they will. Years ago courts were far more strict than they are today, and unless what you're doing is blatantly stated as illegal it's up to the courts to decide if what you'er doing is anti-competitive *enough* for it to be illegal. It's rarely cut and dried as evidenced by the lawsuits that fly every so often about companies like Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
So the threat is to withhold the high end inventory that generally sits on a rack nearly an entire season until the shop sell it at nearly cost in the fall? Tough call there...

ps. that mainly applies to the regions that have snow from Nov-Apr, as we can have in New England.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
can sue = will sue.

In an economy like this there is inherent use in defending any actionable position. Make money by making suits.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
understandable from specialized's point of view, they try to protect their products by using the leverage they have...

bad for their image though. nobody likes bullies

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I ordered Specialized tires from a LBS and it took FOUR weeks to get them.mail order is where it's at.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Unfortunately this happens in all industries
not in consumer electronics.
companies just offer year end incentives to buy their products over their competitors. LG did this a few years ago and it cost them a tremendous amount of money. thankfully the Korean government backs them

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i know years back when i worked at a shop, spesh's incentives and deals were based on how much of a percentage of on-floor merchandise their stuff accounted for and how much of a percentage of total inventory it accounted for

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I ordered Specialized tires from a LBS and it took FOUR weeks to get them.mail order is where it's at.
I ordered Specialized tires from a store, and they received them the next day. LBS is where its at.

my only point is one data point does not a trend make.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
depends on how big of a dealer they are - and how frequently they take delivery from spesh
I agree, my only point was that one data point /= a trend. I had called a smaller shop before going to the bigger shop, and they said it would take 2 to 3 weeks. They also couldn't quote me a price. It also depends on what Spesh has in stock at the time too. The bigger shops have access to the dealer site and spesh warehouse inventory I guess.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Good God. Specialized still makes cycling shoes? Those torture devices should be banned.
Huh?? WTF are you talking about? Specialized makes awesome cycling shoes... Feautre rich and comfy as all get up. Are you still wearing those Diadora shoes from the 90's?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Huh?? WTF are you talking about? Specialized makes awesome cycling shoes... Feautre rich and comfy as all get up. Are you still wearing those Diadora shoes from the 90's?
Comfy? I tried some on recently and they were at LEAST as bad as the last time I tried them... which was probably 1995. Guess my feet weren't made for SpecialEds.

And no, I'm not wearing 90's Diadoras. I'm wearing 90's Sidis. :D

hey - that reminds me... does anyone have an extra buckle for ancient Sidis in their bike box they might send me?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
*This is hearsay from someone very close to the referenced shop*

A friend owns a specialized dealership is a very high traffic area in SF. They needed to do it for Spec's payout on building the shop and the display product that is brought in by Spec that stays with the shop after the contract is up. After they ordered the inventory required by the contract, they went about building up the rest of the inventory with their normal, high-end boutique bikes.

A few weeks later the Spec rep came through and flipped out that his bikes were not the majority of the bikes on display and was going on about how the shop was setup to not promote the Spec bikes. The owner went back through the contract with the rep on-site detailing that every piece of the contract he was bound to had been fulfilled. The rep *supposedly* threatened to withhold the high-end inventory bikes from delivery. The owner was not exactly concerned, as he had been a boutique shop for years prior, and his customer base bought accordingly.

It is interesting though hearing about how Spec leverages their dealers in ways that sound almost mafia-ish. I have heard that far in the past and more recently too. I would think that Giro actually has some teeth in this, especially if they are willing to take it to court. Going to court against a company like Spec, which has a large legal budget because they get into these spots often enough, is not an activity that you take lightly in the industry.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Comfy? I tried some on recently and they were at LEAST as bad as the last time I tried them... which was probably 1995. Guess my feet weren't made for SpecialEds.

hey - that reminds me... does anyone have an extra buckle for ancient Sidis in their bike box they might send me?
$40 from you local dealer.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

You are LITERALLY the only person I've ever heard complain about Specialized shoes. I've heard so many good things about them, comfort and durability wise, that my next pair might be Specialized.

****mano on the other hand...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like competition but squeezing the little guy/bike shop really sucks. They seem to have a hard time already and need to be able to do what ever it take to make a profit.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

I think I do. I'll look.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I ordered Specialized tires from a store, and they received them the next day. LBS is where its at.

my only point is one data point does not a trend make.
oh yea!?!

I'll take your data point and raise it another data point! :D

My friend also ordered the same tires but from a different store and has been waiting 3.5 weeks for his tires.

:rofl: