Quantcast

Let's Make Facts Fun Again

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Columnar basalt forms when lava cools slowly and horizontal shrinkage is prevented. The individual columns will often wear into a bowl shape as the center of the rock is in tension and more susceptible to fractures while the outside is in compression.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I follow an American train photo twitter account, and so many of the photos have captions saying that the line is now abandoned or that the bridge is no longer present.

The Puget sound area is currently building a light rail infrastructure that will connect the major urban areas from Federal Way to Everett including east and west side neighborhoods. Not sure if it will eventual connect to Tacoma's light rail system. Ironically vast portions of I-5 is still the original concrete from that was only designed to last 25 years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Puget sound area is currently building a light rail infrastructure that will connect the major urban areas from Federal Way to Everett including east and west side neighborhoods. Not sure if it will eventual connect to Tacoma's light rail system. Ironically vast portions of I-5 is still the original concrete from that was only designed to last 25 years.
I just know that the West Seattle line will go to Alaska Junction. Thus it won’t be very useful for those in Admiral or Alki. Ship has sailed but an expensive but not generally useful system isn’t much better than the status quo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just know that the West Seattle line will go to Alaska Junction. Thus it won’t be very useful for those in Admiral or Alki. Ship has sailed but an expensive but not generally useful system isn’t much better than the status quo.

Yes, because the hard part of living in West Seattle is the two miles from the beach to the Alaska Junction

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just always parked at the Safeway. Is that bad?

I always found street parking in the nearby neighborhoods. But the West Seattle bridge is currently busy crumbling so one must go pretty far south to cross over to the west.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always found street parking in the nearby neighborhoods. But the West Seattle bridge is currently busy crumbling so one must go pretty far south to cross over to the west.
Oh damn, that sucks.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know, the grass is always greener...thing. One thing to keep in mind though is that most of us are privileged, so quality of life is different for us than the average Joe. I have quite fond memories of the US and think my quality of life there was better or equal to here (for sure better mountain biking, which is part of quality of life, right?), but I appreciate that overall the population is probably better off here. However, there are also quite a few indicators that show that these surveys that come up with the rankings might miss some crucial points. If quality of life is so high, why do so many people have depressions, is alcohol consumption so high, etc.?
Maybe drug use = quality of life for some. I understand as you argue its not (personally I have no idea).

My dad watches TV and drinks too much red wine and generally does very little besides that and he can't stop talking about how wonderful his life is. Measuring quality of life much be near impossible I would think?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cause everyone has $1600 for a toy.
I got the smaller, cheaper variant. But yes, it is definitely a toy, albeit actually possibly not a bad idea in terms of last mile mobility + ability to bring it onto the bus. Seattle buses have 2 or 3 bike racks on the front, which often are full.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Popular tourist boat TSS Earnslaw still chugging around the lake at Queenstown belching out horrendous clouds of coal smoke was built at the same time as the RMS Titanic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Woody Harrelson was cast as the good hitman (in relation to Anton Sigur) in No Country For Old Men in part because his father was a professional hitman.

The literal translation of Deus Ex Machina is god from the machine, but is actually a term to describe terrible plot lines where the great problem at the end of a story is solved when some person randomly and illogically arrives to solve it to provide a happy ending. Just because it has a classical Greek name doesn't mean that it isn't bullshit, that has neither stopped Hollywood or throngs of dipshit consumers.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Woody Harrelson was cast as the good hitman (in relation to Anton Sigur) in No Country For Old Men in part because his father was a professional hitman.

Deus ex machina is just Greek for terrible plot lines where the great problem at the end of a story is solved when some person randomely and illogically arrives to solve it. Just because it has a classical Greek name doesn't mean that it isn't bullshit, that has neither stopped Hollywood or throngs of dipshit consumers.
you separate these horribly disparate points that have nothing to do with each other or by golly I'm going to complain to the moderators!

*not a fact but could be

**no country for old men is one the greatest cinematic masterpieces ever precisely because it doesn't have a dumb catharsis

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
you separate these horribly disparate points that have nothing to do with each other or by golly I'm going to complain to the moderators!

*not a fact but could be

**no country for old men is one the greatest cinematic masterpieces ever precisely because it doesn't have a dumb catharsis

I would argue that it is a rather fun fact that Cormac McCarthy stories never employ Deus Ex Machina, but perhaps the exact opposite.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The two first episodes of the Fargo series Season 5 have a LOT of NCFOM references and some other LOL dialogue callbacks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One could argue that the New Testament employs the ultimate Deus Ex Machina plot, where the FUCKING SON OF GOD comes in stage left, and fixes all of our intractable problems with the rapture.
"The End, every Christian dies happily ever after".

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah but the Deus Ex Machina is never the start of the play...