Lexus CT200h

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why not?

View attachment 188613

View attachment 188615

Hitch on both cars, swap rack as required.
Seems to work between my tuner Civic and wifes CX5.
Do you enjoy having to continually clean your car of bike droppings?
I have a hitch and backrack, but if I bring my bike to work I need to keep it locked inside the car. And as soon as the road spray or salt starts to go down in the late fall, I take the rack off and just stick the bike in the back for the next few months.

I don't know where the dirt goes, but the rear of my car isn't too dirty. A few sweeps of the broom every once in a while, and all is good. Then again the back of the Matrix is 100% plastic, so sweeping it out is super easy and no vacuuming is required.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I can certainly vouch for fitting two bikes and three people in the back of an older rav4

"honey we broke shit, can you drive around to the bottom of this mountain and find us?" :rofl:
I managed to fit 3 adults, 3 dh bikes, all the gear and a bbq either in or on my old Mazda 3 and drove it to Bromont.

That car was a PILE, but it made it.

Not sure if related, but the rear shock mounts turned into dust the next summer.....twice.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a hitch and backrack, but if I bring my bike to work I need to keep it locked inside the car. And as soon as the road spray or salt starts to go down in the late fall, I take the rack off and just stick the bike in the back for the next few months.

I don't know where the dirt goes, but the rear of my car isn't too dirty. A few sweeps of the broom every once in a while, and all is good. Then again the back of the Matrix is 100% plastic, so sweeping it out is super easy and no vacuuming is required.

Gotcha.

My last gig had a monitored, secure lockup that I took advantage of.
No fatbike and after the head knocks, an inability to take the cold, so none in my future, therefore I no need to worry about teh saltz.

I can get a bike into the back of Shannon's CX5 with no problem and my Civic with if you know the routine. Both require front wheel removal obvs.

Good luck on your search. Too bad Honda did not do another Element, that worked purdy good as a bike hauler.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like hipster bike abominations fit in the Lexxus, with spare room for audiophile's EDC?

1675282997344.png

IIRC one of my colleagues had one, didn't look that roomy, it had a very limited top speed - but it may have been a different hybrideous Lexxus.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
He was also lamenting the current cost of vehicles in the other thread. Lots of good 10+ year vehicles out there in good shape still. I mean, I don't own any of them but I know they exist.
up here in the land of salt on the roads, a 10 year old car will have lots of rust. and another 5 years on it before it's mostly holes... I know this because my car is 11 years old.
When my Honda Element got mangled by a high velocity hooved meat bag, I searched in vain for a vehicle that could carry a bike inside. But there just were not any options that got decent mileage and were affordable. There are some larger suvs that will hold a bike like that but they are huge and cost way too much. Unfortunately the best option for me was to go with a proven car with high resale value and bolt a trailer hitch to it. The Rav4 is a great car with all the latest bells and whistles and handles quite well.

Probably should invest in a new cable lock though.
do minivans not exist in people's vocabulary down there?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
up here in the land of salt on the roads,
Wow, what's that like? ;)

I coat the frames on mine with that POR paint if they aren't already covered with that waxy shit dealers put on. 2008, 2008, and 2011 vehicles all doing just fine.

They started using that spray solution here that's way worse than any granular salt ever was for steel. It's pretty hilarious how many people don't realize it's just salt water since all the agencies call it 'brine' now.

I guess we have the option to buy a car within a few hours drive that hasn't seen salt (or at least as much of it).

I don't even know why cars without that waxy coating would even exist where you are.

Last edited:
Wow, what's that like? ;)

I coat the frames on mine with that POR paint if they aren't already covered with that waxy shit dealers put on. 2008, 2008, and 2011 vehicles all doing just fine.

They started using that spray solution here that's way worse than any granular salt ever was for steel. It's pretty hilarious how many people don't realize it's just salt water since all the agencies call it 'brine' now.

I guess we have the option to buy a car within a few hours drive that hasn't seen salt (or at least as much of it).
Coat 'em with what?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
do minivans not exist in people's vocabulary down there?
No, not really. It’s brodozers for groceries around here. I however wouldn’t have a problem driving a minivan again. Unfortunately there are not that many models to choose from. Dodge quit making the Caravan and used ones are stupid expensive.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No, not really. It’s brodozers for groceries around here. I however wouldn’t have a problem driving a minivan again. Unfortunately there are not that many models to choose from. Dodge quit making the Caravan and used ones are stupid expensive.
To be fair, you can't buy an astro anymore but "SUVs" are pretty much minivans with hinged doors these days.

SUVs became minvans and all vans became shipping (and honkey vacation) containers.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
yours would manage to get stolen anyway
Yer not wrong. :shakefist:

To be fair, you can't buy an astro anymore but "SUVs" are pretty much minivans with hinged doors these days.

SUVs became minvans and all vans became shipping (and honkey vacation) containers.
SUV's may have replaced minivans in the US market but most SUV's don't have nearly the cargo capacity of a comparable minivan - especially so-called "mid-size" SUV's, which can't even compete with a proper wagon.

Not saying I want to drive a minivan. NTTAWWT. I mean, you be you. :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
problem solved. Lol

In June, when I had to car shop, that would have been at least double the price it is now. I wanted to get a similar shit box for couple grand and drive it until I could find a car to replace the Element then sell it and end up paying less than an extended rental. But those types or cars would have eaten up my entire settlement check. So I had to scramble to find any car that wasn’t a complete ripoff. Don’t even get me started on dealer markups.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
5 cylinders get shit gas mileage around town....

but other than that...the only problem i have had was a dead battery...

and i need to get the sunroof drains cleaned out....

its a 2014 or 15.....zero problems.

EDIT: i hsd a coil pack go bad....that and the battery....

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I usually ignore German cars, but anyone with experience with VW Golf Sportwagen?
I have the short version, a regular Golf. The Sportwagen has a good extra foot of length in the trunk area. I have fit two modern long wheelbase 29" bikes in the back with front wheels removed. Part of me wishes I had gotten the Sportwagen but I have never really needed the extra space, just would have been nice to have extra space a few times.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The MkVII version with the 1.8 Turbo will get mileage in the mid 30s.
I have a 1.8T in the 22yo Beetle and it is mostly DIY serviceable, didn't have many problems with it over the ~18 years of ownership, well until now when I don't feel like spending the dough for keeping it alive for much longer.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have a 1.8T in the 22yo Beetle and it is mostly DIY serviceable, didn't have many problems with it over the ~18 years of ownership, well until now when I don't feel like spending the dough for keeping it alive for much longer.
i had a two slow powered beetle....

the water pump shit the bed....

free car was basically trouble free....

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have the short version, a regular Golf. The Sportwagen has a good extra foot of length in the trunk area. I have fit two modern long wheelbase 29" bikes in the back with front wheels removed. Part of me wishes I had gotten the Sportwagen but I have never really needed the extra space, just would have been nice to have extra space a few times.
Any big issues that you know of, to keep an eye out for?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Any big issues that you know of, to keep an eye out for?

It depends on the generation, but if you are looking at the MK7 or newer I believe they are fairly reliable, at least the manuals. I think the DSG transmissions may have had some issues not sure. VW engines like to sludge up so you need to be good with oil changes, if you get a vacuum pump you can do it all from right under the hood. Some people have reported that the rear differential needs servicing a lot more than recommended but I think that is only if it is kicking in a lot. I can do that service at home, just need to buy a giant syringe to get the oil back in. The oil in mine looked brand new when I serviced mine. In snowy Canada you will probably engage the AWD a lot more than I do.

It is a GDI engine so the intake valves will gunk up over time. Eventually that will require the intake manifold to be removed and the backside of the valves media blasted, or just deal with less power.

I have had mine for 55,000 miles and the only issue so far was a bad windshield washer pump that was easier to replace myself than take it to the dealer under warranty.

It also isn't a Toyota so don't expect to get 250,000 miles out of it.

This is what the internet says are common problems, one could argue they are all normal maintenance items.

The older FSI engines had a lot of problems, high oil consumption, bad fuel pump cam followers and coil issues.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my ou
It depends on the generation, but if you are looking at the MK7 or newer I believe they are fairly reliable, at least the manuals. I think the DSG transmissions may have had some issues not sure. VW engines like to sludge up so you need to be good with oil changes, if you get a vacuum pump you can do it all from right under the hood. Some people have reported that the center differential needs servicing a lot more than recommended but I think that is only if it is kicking in a lot. I can do that service at home, just need to buy a giant syringe to get the oil back in. The oil in mine looked brand new when I serviced mine.

It is a GDI engine so the intake valves will gunk up over time. Eventually that will require the intake manifold to be removed and the backside of the valves media blasted, or just deal with less power.

I have had mine for 55,000 miles and the only issue so far was a bad windshield washer pump that was easier to replace myself than take it to the dealer under warranty.

It also isn't a Toyota so don't expect to get 250,000 miles out of it.

This is what the internet says are common problems, one could argue they are all normal maintenance items.

The older FSI engines had a lot of problems, high oil consumption, bad fuel pump cam followers and coil issues.
yeah...i had a 2002(?) passat. definitely coil issues and high oil consumption. decent otherwise up to about 150k miles.