Quantcast

LG1 vs. SRS

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Im not too sure on who has alot of experience with the LG1, but I would like to swap out the TruVativ chainguide on my DHR for a e.13. The LG1 looks sick, lightweight, cheap, but may have a problem. I run a 14" bb on my DHR, I am afraid I may break a few chains... Is there any way to run a lightweight bash to have a happy medium between the two? Just something to protect your ring?

The SRS is proven. I have STS on my DNA and its solid. No complaints, however it is more expensive and heavier. And my bike is 40 pounds flat with all plenty strong components so those few grams can add up... (yes im a whore)

Anyone have any info or anything to say?

Nov 9, 2005
i would say get the srs because it easily converts to a lg1 when you want to but if you are going out bashing just install the bashguard and if your are racing take it off simple

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
SBDownhillRacer said:
i would say get the srs because it easily converts to a lg1 when you want to but if you are going out bashing just install the bashguard and if your are racing take it off simple
Ummm, no. They are completely different systems. The SRS requires the bash to keep the chain on. The LG1 is fully enclosed.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would say LG1. There is supposedly a new lightweight bash that will be available for it soon.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Red Bull said:
Ummm, no. They are completely different systems. The SRS requires the bash to keep the chain on. The LG1 is fully enclosed.
They use the same boomerang. Converting from one to the other is relatively easy.

But yes, I would say get the SRS. It is still quite lightweight, and you'll never have to worry about it. 40lbs is pretty light for a DH bike.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Bicyclist said:
I would say LG1. There is supposedly a new lightweight bash that will be available for it soon.
Dope, sounds exactly like what I need.

DW, Jonas, RD... Any imput?

Nov 9, 2005
the lightweight bash for the lg1 is the same bash on the srs, the only difference is the bash, go onto e13's website and it tells you that the srs easily converts to and lg1

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Get the SRS. I have a few of them and never had problems unless you set them up wrong. They are amazing. The LG1 is going to be a purchase of mine once they add some sort of bash to it. I heard they are going to be a small plate on the backside of the ring that sits on the bottom.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SBDownhillRacer said:
the lightweight bash for the lg1 is the same bash on the srs, the only difference is the bash, go onto e13's website and it tells you that the srs easily converts to and lg1
The bash is the same, but the only difference is the bash? :rolleyes:

Nov 9, 2005
the whole point of the lg1 was to not have a bashguard to save weight, so if e13 was to put a bashguard on the lg1 it would turn into a srs

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SBDownhillRacer said:
the whole point of the lg1 was to not have a bashguard to save weight, so if e13 was to put a bashguard on the lg1 it would turn into a srs
No, they're not the same.

Look at the top of the SRS as compared to the LG1.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why is it that in every e13 thread SBDownhillRacer insists the SRS and the LG1 are the same and then gets told repeatedly he's wrong? I just don't get it. :think:

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
If look at the underside of the LG1 and SRS back plates there are a few holes for a quarter section of a bashguard. Works similar to the skid plate on a dirt bike. I am not sure if these are actually going into production but I saw them mounted with a few of the LG1 prototypes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dhmtbj said:
If look at the underside of the LG1 and SRS back plates there are a few holes for a quarter section of a bashguard. Works similar to the skid plate on a dirt bike. I am not sure if these are actually going into production but I saw them mounted with a few of the LG1 prototypes.
If they do, that's gonna be a sweet setup, although I don't know why the SRS has it seeing the top isn't enclosed so it wouldn't really work without the bash like the LG1 does.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What the hell are you talking about? There was a fine discussion and then you come in and clarify that SBDownhillRacer is from SB. Thanks a lot. :stosh:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
im thinking about the srs myself, and not the lg1 because i just owuldn't feel safe, if i was riding with out a bashgaurd

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA # OF STARS HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OMG IM LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW.....

Ps i was on the phone wiht sbdhrider when he wrote the star thing...it was all my idea

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Bicyclist said:
If they do, that's gonna be a sweet setup, although I don't know why the SRS has it seeing the top isn't enclosed so it wouldn't really work without the bash like the LG1 does.
they use the same back plate because you can swap the platics on each guide to the other if you wanted.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
degoose said:
OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA # OF STARS HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OMG IM LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW.....

Ps i was on the phone wiht sbdhrider when he wrote the star thing...it was all my idea
I know, like omg lol! I mean wtf? IM like totally agreeing wiht u.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dhmtbj said:
they use the same back plate because you can swap the platics on each guide to the other if you wanted.
Oh, I see. That's why they say it's easy to convert from one to the other. Leave it to e13 to come up with awesome, innovative designs. :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Red Bull said:
And for $6 in plastics, both can be yours!

Seriously, pay attention please. Also, check out the incredible new site that explains it all. All 06 SRS guides have the back plate mounting for the taco (when it appears), and the plastics can be easily swapped out.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
In terms of keeping your chain on the SRS and LG guides both mechanically work very similarly. Although the LG is not exactly an SRS without a bashguard it does share many of the same parts and can easily be converted into an SRS with three allen keys and about ten minutes. So if you purchase an SRS and a LG plastics and hardware kit you will be able to easily swap between the two guides at will.

I ran the LG most of the season on my DH, 4X, and Slalom bikes. If all you want is to keep the chain and you want the most lightweight chain retention system you can get then the LG is for you. But if you ever have noticed that you have marks or scuffs in your current bashguard or guideplates then I highly recomend the SRS over the LG for downhill use.

I ran the Truvativ boxguide w/ no bash for the 2004 season. I race on the east coast where it is very rocky, etc. I hit the chain ring/ chain plenty of times, but never broke a chain. I have the SRS on my DH rig, but if I had to buy a system, I'd go with the LG1. A bashguard can pack a lot of mud into it and gum up the chain pretty badly.

If you are going to do that, make sure you have a fairly beefy chainring.

Representing the 716.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
The only time i can remember hitting my guide was at a Top Secret Freeride Park at killington. I bottomed onto a rock off of a drop...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
heikkihall said:
In terms of keeping your chain on the SRS and LG guides both mechanically work very similarly. Although the LG is not exactly an SRS without a bashguard it does share many of the same parts and can easily be converted into an SRS with three allen keys and about ten minutes. So if you purchase an SRS and a LG plastics and hardware kit you will be able to easily swap between the two guides at will.

I ran the LG most of the season on my DH, 4X, and Slalom bikes. If all you want is to keep the chain and you want the most lightweight chain retention system you can get then the LG is for you. But if you ever have noticed that you have marks or scuffs in your current bashguard or guideplates then I highly recomend the SRS over the LG for downhill use.
Heikki's protip: don't run an LG1 while freeriding at Bromont.
:love:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Then if I were you I would get the LG-1, save some money, and then get the "taco" skidplate when it comes out.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
Then if I were you I would get the LG-1, save some money, and then get the "taco" skidplate when it comes out.
If it comes out. You can also make one really easily with an old bashguard (I think). Jonas tried to explain it to me and i was half asleep.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So would the skidplate only mount to the single hole at the bottom of the boomerang? If so, wouldn't it rotate when you hit things? :think: