Quantcast

Light(est) 35mm clamp, 50mm length stem?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I get that, but beauty is certainly in the eye of the beerholder...I like the subtle matte black and nondescript printing over sharp angles and shitty anodizing. Is argue that my Thomson is no prettier...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho

if you can make 45mm work.... I picked one up from we are one with their bars (was getting gnarly hand numbness and fatigue)- totally fixed that and the stem is crazy light and stiff.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

if you can make 45mm work.... I picked one up from we are one with their bars (was getting gnarly hand numbness and fatigue)- totally fixed that and the stem is crazy light and stiff.
they make them in 35mm too?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I get that, but beauty is certainly in the eye of the beerholder...I like the subtle matte black and nondescript printing over sharp angles and shitty anodizing. Is argue that my Thomson is no prettier...
Hey if you like neon and garish stuff check out spank stems

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey if you like neon and garish stuff check out spank stems
While I do love me some garish bike trash, those spank stems are made out of mystery metal and my cockpit is one place that I don't really mess around- bars and stem are 7 series alloy. I'd consider going carbon bars, but then I'd have to switch to 35mm and it's not worth it.

I have a purple Profile Helm, the 90's are back, dude.
those stems look gorgeous, but you pay for em.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
While I do love me some garish bike trash, those spank stems are made out of mystery metal and my cockpit is one place that I don't really mess around- bars and stem are 7 series alloy. I'd consider going carbon bars, but then I'd have to switch to 35mm and it's not worth it.

those stems look gorgeous, but you pay for em.
Yeah but it is awesome, no gap at the top of the clamp, stiff as a board and it doesn't back itself off like my Race Face Atlas would, and my D2 for that matter.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The new Enve on the other hand is light but does not have the closed steerer interface:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/enve-alloy-mountain-stem.html
An aluminum stem from Enve Composites would look smashing on my Niner with 27.5" wheels!

Well, this one is 40mm, but supposedly 50mm is on the way.

Bang for the buck? Certainly not, that is what a Kalloy Uno stem is for (126 grams for $30).
Bling for the buck, though? Off the charts.

The finish quality though, oof.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Necro bump

Is anyone on the aluminum Enve stem?

I’m looking for interesting stem options in 35 clamp, 32-35mm length.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I like Chromag, but damn now they have two stems at the same price point, made out of the same material.

Unless I'm blind, no where on their website do they compare the two or say one should be used for X type of riding while the other should be used for Y type? :s

The one difference is the miniscule length differences and the fact that the Riza comes in both bar diameters.

:edit: looking at the weights, this one must be stronger? The BZA at 50mm length and 35mm clamp is 184g. Whereas the Riza is 194g for the 31.8mm clamp and 38mm length version. Then again, just because its heavier doesn't necessarily mean its stronger?