Quantcast

Lightest dh FF helmet on the market

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What is the lightest dh ready full face helmet on the market? Not talking about light fr with some ****ty jaw protection.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Checked? Can't find no weight for it. Was also thinking about the one carbon but I have the same problem.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I'm thinking about that(that's why I want a dh ready not a xc helmet looking like a ff).
...ok? So are you looking for a helmet that is DOT approved? Because all other helmets are going to be trying to conform to the same 'bicycle' standards, and thus, are, by your definition, "xc helmets looking like a full-face."

I can tell you the Deviant line is very much of the latter category. It lacks any sort of facial protection, and feels like a stupid xc lid when you wear it.

As for DOT approved helmets, you are going to have an EXTREMELY hard time trying to find one lighter than a Rockgardn Blacklite. They weigh slightly less then the $400 HJC carbon helmet, but are only $150 MSRP. 2.98lbs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
DOT approved? Sry I haven't slept to much lately ;)

But rather by that I ment normal dh helmets with nice jaw protection. Was just afraid that somebody will come up with sth more for enduro(like the old giro or met helmet with removable jaw protection) cuz the weight weenies on forums sometimes have scary ideas.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
DOT approved? Sry I haven't slept to much lately ;)

But rather by that I ment normal dh helmets with nice jaw protection. Was just afraid that somebody will come up with sth more for enduro(like the old giro or met helmet with removable jaw protection) cuz the weight weenies on forums sometimes have scary ideas.
Haha. Oh ok.

To be honest, I'd still check out the Blacklite. I really like mine, and as I said, it is quite light.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok... get ready for a little spiel, but it might save your brains...

I just bought a tld d2 2008, the reason for this is it is ASTM approved.

See when you get in a bike crash, foam inside your helmet compresses, resulting in the helmet taking the impact instead of your skull.

Anyways, there's different compression rates. A DOT approved helmet is meant for road usage and motocross, so going at 70mph, this rating is supposed to save your noggin. But say you crash in DH with a DOT approved helmet, if your going like 45 it might help a lot, but if your plowing at 30mph through a rock garden and whack a tree with your head, it might not do much at all, resulting in a bad concusion.

There is also a lower rating I believe for motocross, it is called ECE and it is softer and more conforming. So this is also an option.

The reason I know a little about this is becasue I've had 2 concusions (one in which I got knocked out for like 10 minutes). They are not good... and I was using one of these.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=94e94804-9906-4c99-814f-b1c68a749f7f&product=4447c25c-e2eb-41f3-bbe8-80f94864e157

So don't compromise weight for saftey, concusions can be very serious. Hey and if weight is an issue... get some kneck weights (haha). Best of luck with piking out your helmet.

www.beyondbikes.com ---they're helmets are 08's and less then msrp.

:cheers:

PS: If I'm wrong on anything, please correct me. Thanks.

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
Shouldn't protection and fit be more important than weight when choosing a helmet?
I wouldn't think so. Especially since all helmets must meet, pass and exceed helmet saftey requirments. So even if it's superlight weight it will still hold up as the heavier models. If not better.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
. They are not good... and I was using one of these.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=94e94804-9906-4c99-814f-b1c68a749f7f&product=4447c25c-e2eb-41f3-bbe8-80f94864e157

So don't compromise weight for saftey, concusions can be very serious. Hey and if weight is an issue... get some kneck weights (haha). Best of luck with piking out your helmet.

www.beyondbikes.com ---they're helmets are 08's and less then msrp.

:cheers:

PS: If I'm wrong on anything, please correct me. Thanks.
I was using the 661 full bravo for some time and don't feel anything wrong with them. But maybe 1 direct hit in the tree wasn't enough? ;)

Btw. There are no protection issues with carbon helmets? Cuz that's the ting on which I want to save weight not the padding or anything usefull ;)

CK never heard of that helmet (but that's probably because easter europe is always last to be informed ;) ) Looking at it now at sicklines. Very nice piece of protection and there will still be some $$$ left if I wanted to paint it nicer.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I was using the 661 full bravo for some time and don't feel anything wrong with them. But maybe 1 direct hit in the tree wasn't enough? ;)
The first time I was going about 20 mph and my vision turned white and I felt like I was going to pass out.

The second time... I was going about 30mph and went over a gap at diablo and landed on my head...

They are definetly to flimsy, not to mention, I don't see them being ASTM or even DOT approved, DOT is better than nothing for sure.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
There is also a lower rating I believe for motocross, it is called ECE and it is softer and more conforming. So this is also an option.
ECE is not lower. It is the European version of "DOT" approval/testing, and is arguably a better standard that US DOT.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
The main reason that most bike helmets don't meet DOT standards is the vents. DOT testing includes a penetration test and a vented helmet cannot pass these. Hence the new DH certification that is between ansi/snell and dot. Don't get hung up on dot. It's an irrational fear. ansi/snell approved helmets are plenty. If you crash hard enough on a helmet you want it to break otherwise it will hurt more. This includes the deviant. It's really a pretty decent helmet.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
If you go read up on SNELL cert you'll realize it is ridiculous for bicycle use, and it most cases even MX or motorbike use.

I'd type it up but I'm writing an actual paper right now.

EDIT: I tried to find a post of mine from pinkbike about this same issue. It was massive, but they deleted everything then they rebuilt the site.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I wouldn't think so. Especially since all helmets must meet, pass and exceed helmet saftey requirments. So even if it's superlight weight it will still hold up as the heavier models. If not better.
I'm not gonna argue about this, but my head is worth enough to me that I will gladly sacrifice weight for a proper fit and good protection.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
DOT is overkill...ANSI/SNELL is plenty.
Snell is 'higher' than DOT. Snell is made for higher speeds, harder impacts, higher g-forces and multiples impacts on the same helmet region (Which is its downfall...). It's great if you are driving an F1 car.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Back on topic. My Giro 06 Carbon weighs 960g with dirt,sweat and a couple of stickers,on my bodgie fruit scales(within say 5g).and it's comfier than my old D2.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Snell is 'higher' than DOT. Snell is made for higher speeds, harder impacts, higher g-forces and multiples impacts on the same helmet region (Which is its downfall...). It's great if you are driving an F1 car.
SNELL B-95 is a common bicycle certification. Many are also CE and CPSC certified. Look for the ASTM cert. The Deviant, D2, and Rampage are ASTM off the top of my head.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Back on topic. My Giro 06 Carbon weighs 960g with dirt,sweat and a couple of stickers,on my bodgie fruit scales(within say 5g).and it's comfier than my old D2.
~2.2lbs - not bad. Never been a fan of Giro Full faces tho.

My Xen has been sweet - need to get a new one of those soon!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
go-ride used to have a helmet weight chart on their site. I can't seem to find it now.

As far as safety, you need to make that decision for yourself. I've had some pretty hard slow speed crashes in my DOT helmet and I barely felt them. (on my head) Everybody says that DOT is worse in slow speed but I'm convinced that more is better.
Also, wearing a heavier helmet everyday makes your neck much stronger. I can really feel it the first ride of the year. A stronger neck means less chance of spinal cord injury.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The difference between the moto helmets and the bike helmets is NOT the ventilation, despite what McAlabaster might have you believe. Flex them both in your hands - the bike helmet will flex, the moto wont. A moto helmet MUST be able to support the weight of a motorcycle coming down on top of your head in a crash to have the certification. A DOT/SNELL helmet must be able to sustain higher speed crashes and have slower compression foam, which usually translates to stiffer foam. They can ventilate just about the same way. Take it from someone who has crashed a LOT with both moto and bike full faces - there is a big difference beyond ventilation. You are just better protected with anything that reaches the higher rating.

Of course, if you grow up riding without a helmet (not mountain biking), you will know how to fall correctly and you won't need a helmet in 99% of your crashes.

I am waiting for someone to fuse a good carbon winding process and fabricate a DOT/SNELL carbon fiber composite helmet that doesn't carry the same bulk. I am sure it can be done with enough R&D.

scene603

Chimp
Feb 3, 2005
Saw this one at interbike and it sparked my interest. Pro-tec's new fullface lid. ASTM1952 DH standard approved and weighs only 1050g for the large. I think it's $140 or $150 retail and they said it would be available in December.

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The new Bell (available in January) weighs only 900 grams and costs only $130 MSRP. You won't find and ASTM 1952 certified DH helmet that light for any less money. I think it looks great too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Lightest Helmets I know of are:

TLD D2, HJC Carbon, Fox V3

all around 2.9lbs...

All moto.
Bell Moto-8 = 2.9 lbs inc visor and all hardware and comfort liner. The Fox and TLD stated weights are given w/o those parts installed. Most good MX helmets are about 3 lbs these days, give or take an ounce or two. In fact, two of the helmets you mentioned and the one I mentioned use a lot of the same materials such as Tri-Weave (Carbon, Kevlar, and Fiberglass woven together) for the outer shell.

The big difference in MX helmets today lies in the ventilation. Most helmets have rudimentary venting whereas the Moto-8 has a wind tunnel designed system that really works. Every single rider I've put in a Moto-8 tells me the exact same thing. They can't believe how well it flows air and stays cool compared to anything they've ever used. So if all helmets weight the same and offer similar protection, having a helmet that feels cooler and allows you to think less about airflow gets the advantage IMO. Grant Langston told me that with his old helmet he'd have a river of sweat coming off his head after each moto but with the Moto-8 his head is nearly dry, even in 90+ degree weather.....

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
i just have one question? why is it most people are looking for a light weight helmet! why are they worried about cost?
you can go out and buy a $2000-$5000 bike but are worried about spending alittle extra on your head!
people say moto helmets are to heavy. well why can myself, and every other motocrosser in the world wear one for a 20-30 min. plus two lap moto,but they're to heavy for a 2-5 min. DH run. think about it, bicycle helmets are junk!! carbon fiber or not.
i've been thinking about wearing a Leatt neck brace!! some might say its heavy. but if i can wear it for a 30 min. moto i can wear it for a 5 min. DH run! WHY because my neck is worth the extra pound or so!!

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
I just weighed my 661 Flight and it cane out to 3.24lbs. Not the lightest, but light enough. It saved my head a couple times. Would a non-DOT helmet done just as good of job, probably, but its nice to know your head is safe

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
i just have one question? why is it most people are looking for a light weight helmet! why are they worried about cost?
you can go out and buy a $2000-$5000 bike but are worried about spending alittle extra on your head!
people say moto helmets are to heavy. well why can myself, and every other motocrosser in the world wear one for a 20-30 min. plus two lap moto,but they're to heavy for a 2-5 min. DH run. think about it, bicycle helmets are junk!! carbon fiber or not.
i've been thinking about wearing a Leatt neck brace!! some might say its heavy. but if i can wear it for a 30 min. moto i can wear it for a 5 min. DH run! WHY because my neck is worth the extra pound or so!!
I may have the answer to your one question.

Moto helmets are heavier and "more protective" than they need to be for downhill bicycle riding. There is a strong argument that SNELL 2005 standards are too stringent even for off-road motorcycle riding. SNELL is in the process of sorting out the details of the forthcoming 2010 standard which aims to be more accurate than the current 2005 criteria but until that standard goes into effect helmet manufacturers have little choice other than to make helmets that conform the current standard which although it may not be perfect is very good and will save many lives, even if it might allow a higher likelihood of concussion in lower speed crashes.

If a SNELL MX helmet is potentially a bit too rigid for it's intended purpose than it's almost surely too rigid for bicycle riding, no matter how extreme. Again, having a helmet that's too rigid is more likely to allow a concussion that a softer helmet might have prevented, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, having too soft of a helmet might prevent mild concussions but not prevent death or more serious injuries.

The best helmet is the one that does the best job of finding the accurate middle ground. In other words the ideal helmet would be equipped to handle the highest-energy impact one might foreseeably encounter when engaged in the sport the helmet is intended for and nothing more. Every extra bit of impact absorption ability added to a helmet shifts the spectrum of coverage towards the high-end and compromises coverage on the low end. The logic that says "wearing a helmet that conforms to a higher than necessary standard will protect you better", does not hold up.

Hopefully having answered your question, now I have a few questions for you. Why would you wear something that's heavier than it needs to be to safely and accurately do it's job? Why would you wear a piece of protective gear that's overkill knowing that it actually might harm you or at least not do as good a job as a different piece of equipment that was made specifically for EXACTLY what you do? Why would you pay more for one thing when you can have something else that is as good or better in every way for much less? Most people on this forum are looking for products that posses the best value in their segment. Products that represent the best overall "bang for your buck". These are not people who just buy the most expensive item assuming that cost directly correlates to value.

BTW- I ride MX and MTB and wear the proper helmet for each when participating in each. I have no issues with the weight of my MX lid but I'd love it if it was as light as my DH lid and still had the proper MX protection. Maybe someday technology will allow....