Quantcast

Lightweight well vented fullface endurbro helmets

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
troy lee stage: xxl too short, won‘t fit
bell super air dh: xl fits, chin guard feels whimsical, too similar to my bell sixer
fox proframe: xxl too short, won’t fit
kali invader II: xxl fits like a glove, bought. wouldn’t use it in a bike park though, feels more like an airy trail helmet with additional chin guard.

me, 64cm oval head most helmets won’t fit on

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
bell super air dh: xl fits, chin guard feels whimsical, too similar to my bell sixer
kali invader II: xxl fits like a glove, bought. wouldn’t use it in a bike park though, feels more like an airy trail helmet with additional chin guard.

Dude, I used to watch your show. :thumb:

1684803088278.png

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
59-60 cm oval head. I've previously owned:
Bell Super 2R: felt like it was too narrow/oval, which is weird cause I have a pretty oval head. The removable chinbar feature was dumb but I didn't realize it. Didn't vent very well considering how many holes it had. Visor was too short too.

Leatt DBX Enduro something or other: their first convertible helmet. Was ok but the ratchet fit thing didn't work great. My head was too big for their medium helmet, but the L/XL required me to crank the ratchet all the way down. Fit and finish didn't seem awesome. Vented better than the Bell but wasn't amazing.

Have been running a Stage XL/XXL (oddly enough the fit pads that it comes with all refer to this as being their "L" helmet) with thick pads for the last few years. It fits my head shape great, and breathes very well. I like the Fidlock buckle. My only gripe is the tightening screws for the visor tend to work loose. I'm on my second one after I took a header into a tree. Helmet looked fine and I was fine, but I tossed it out of caution.

I bought my son a Fox Proframe. Haven't worn it myself (since he's 6 and wearing an adult XS) but it seems pretty well vented and similar pad system to the Stage. One thing I do like about the Proframe is that the foam around the chinguard is very soft, like you can compress it with your fingers. I'd think if it somehow did make contact with your face, it would feel a lot better than the EPP or whatever most helmets have there. Negative points are that the visor is fixed (one of the big reasons I got the Stage over it). Also while I can wear both Fox and TLD helmets, my A3 fits my head perfectly, while my Speedframe is a bit looser/wider.

I recently got a Giro Insurgent (XL/XXL), which is more of a light DH helmet vs. the above. But it's still about 20% heavier and is a lot warmer. It fits pretty well, although I kind of wonder if I should have gone with the M/L. I'm using the thicker pads and it seems like there's a lot of space between my head and the helmet, and it looks huge on me. But then again, my head looks huge on me. I know D-rings are supposedly safer, but I'd rather have Fidlock. The Spherical thing works almost too well - I have to really tighten my goggle straps to keep the helmet from pushing them down during descents. It looks great though, and the fit and finish is top notch. I got it intending to wear to the bike park, and possibly on ebike rides where the terrain warrants. It's warmer than I expected though, so basically I'm only planning on taking it to the bike park or shuttles. Even ebiking, it gets pretty warm.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Specialized gambit here, or was. I broke it Sunday on upper happy hour at highland falling 8 feet onto a rock slab. Didnt feel a thing in my head, it did its job. I'll probably buy another with the 35% off crash replacement for riding enduro things. It was very light and very breathable, really not that worse to pedal in than a half shell if I wore sun glasses instead of goggles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bell Super Air: Not well ventilated, I sweat like a mofo in this and then it all releases suddenly on a g-out or jump.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I've had the IXS Trigger FF to check out for the last few days along with the Troy Lee Stage. The IXS is at least as well made as the Troy Lee and feels really solid, ventilation appears to be good and it's significantly more affordable (without Mips).
The Stage seems to run smaller than the corresponding D3, I just ordered another one in a size larger than what fits me on the D3.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just got the Stage helmet in M/L. The pads that you swap to adjust the fit actually work. It was too tight for me with the stock pads, but I ended up with the smallest check pads and the medium rear pad and it fits great now. I got the stage because I knew my glasses would fit on it. I ride prescription Oakley's with the trail torch lens, and in the heat that I live in I prefer them over goggles unless I am sitting on a lift.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I just got the Stage helmet in M/L. The pads that you swap to adjust the fit actually work. It was too tight for me with the stock pads, but I ended up with the smallest check pads and the medium rear pad and it fits great now. I got the stage because I knew my glasses would fit on it. I ride prescription Oakley's with the trail torch lens, and in the heat that I live in I prefer them over goggles unless I am sitting on a lift.
What do you think of those lenses?
My first gen Flak Jackets are about dead, and was looking at a replacement gen 2. The trail and trail torch lenses are both of interest....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What do you think of those lenses?
My first gen Flak Jackets are about dead, and was looking at a replacement gen 2. The trail and trail torch lenses are both of interest....
I have never in the past noticed much of a difference with lenses, but with the trail torch lenses it really does make things like the rocks and roots stand apart from the dirt. I can honestly just read the trail better with them.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The pink/purple ("Low Light") Oakley Prizm lenses are amazing for riding in trees, fog, and overcast conditions. They really help with contrast & accentuating trail texture.

The Prizm Trail is nice too but doesn't work as well when it's really shady / foggy / dusk.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The pink/purple ("Low Light") Oakley Prizm lenses are amazing for riding in trees, fog, and overcast conditions. They really help with contrast & accentuating trail texture.

The Prizm Trail is nice too but doesn't work as well when it's really shady / foggy / dusk.
I second that.

I ride with the Prizm low-light lenses and I love them. I would buy them again without hesitation.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I ride mostly in pine woods, with changing light conditions. Mostly it is under cover with sections in full sun and lots of holes in the canopy. Currently using a bronze lens (can't remember the name) with a VLT in the mid thirties that works pretty good. Increases contrast and gives enough protection when deeking into the light. I think I would get along better with the tint of the Trail Torch than the Trail, seems much less orange. All my current lenses are pre Prizm, so Irridium and / or Polarized. From what I understand the Prism are next level with regard to contrast and depth of field.

Some things to ponder.
Cheers gentlemen.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Not very interested in helmets with detachable chin bars and Leatt just released a new one with the superfluous third option of removable ear protection.

Still it's fairly decent looking and pricing isn't insane. What I did find more interesting was the discussion on pinbike about baldies getting scalped by Koroyd equipped helmet during crashes. Being folically challenged myself I'm curious if anyone here has experienced something similar.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I always have a bandana on under my open face helmets, road or MTB. So hopefully that would lessen the chances of scrapes on my scalp. If I'm in a big enough crash the helmet is compressing into my head I'll take a couple of scrapes if it's protecting my brain more effectively.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Not very interested in helmets with detachable chin bars and Leatt just released a new one with the superfluous third option of removable ear protection.

Still it's fairly decent looking and pricing isn't insane. What I did find more interesting was the discussion on pinbike about baldies getting scalped by Koroyd equipped helmet during crashes. Being folically challenged myself I'm curious if anyone here has experienced something similar.
Great. I just purchased an Endura Pro SL road helmet and was wondering right about that topic after my first ride with it - so no chance for an easy return it anymore. The Koroyd has relatively sharp boundaries on the inside of the helmet. On the other hand I had exactly one crash in my whole 30 yrs long road riding career and that only resulted in classical road rash after my front wheel slipped on a trail of oil on the road. When I compare this to my number of soil sample taking adventures on all mtbs... easy going.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I can always slip into a stylish flesh eating helmet of my choosing, while your irregularly shaped noggin forces you to wear the Kali Invader II.

IMG_5945.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can anyone who has tried more than one make/model provide some feedback on what's good?
here's some feedback :rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not sure how I feel about these things. ie Stage, Proframe et al.
I have seen a couple people using them for trail riding, nothing nasty, moderate speeds at best, small jumps and drops, your normal local stacked trail loop stuff. Compared to the rest of us in open face trail helmets they may be onto something. For anything close to DH / Bikepark, nope; I want a full on full face. Not that they are invulnerable as any 'net search will tell you, but a solid chin-bar just seems a better idea then what is basically a two bar grill.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I think we’re going to see a revised DH rating to reflect the higher speeds your average joe is achieving at the park.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I picked up a Fox Proframe RS to replace my Stage this summer, and really like it. Fit is great, breathes well, the visor is good, and I like the concept of the MIPS spherical. I use it for most of my ebiking (because no excuse not to) and some spicier trail riding on the normal bike. But yeah, I wouldn't wear it at a bike park - that's what the Insurgent is for.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Commuting (on & off-road)/Road/Local mtb/any ride with GF or Kid - no helmet *
Pumptrack - pisspot
Trail/Enduro - a £20 Scott XC lid strapped to the bars and only worn on '(most) descents
Uplifted DH - an old refurbished D2
Too old, blind n Scottish to trust anyone to hold my beer

*but often a fleece hat

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
bootlicker

when's the last time you saw a dh helmet do that?

"our frames are designed specifically to release the headtube in order to absorb hard impacts"

that's what you sound like
You are missing my point, quit being so relentlessly negative, it’s gonna give you fucking gout or something.
I just mean that the fucker probably still has his teeth, and likely would have been wearing a 1/2 shell five years ago, as weight was obviously a concern to him.
have a happy fucking new year.

Besides, there is no obvious dirt/scrapes/damage, maybe it was just crushed in a hatchback door?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You are missing my point, quit being so relentlessly negative, it’s gonna give you fucking gout or something.
Pretty sure hanging out here is a sadomasochism thing for kidwoo :D