Quantcast

Looking for a trail bike

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ok, I'm looking for a trail bike that only a DHer could love. Help me find a frame that meets these prerequisites:

5-6" rear travel
1.5 head tube
135mm rear (12mm is a plus)
standard rear shock mounts (no Specialized)
200x57 rear shock possible?

I'm coming off a Morewood Mbuzi that when built up it weighs close to 35lbs. I'm wanting something lighter and more of an every day trail bike. I really like the Specialized Stumpy, but just can't get over the taper headtube, unique shock mounts, etc.

I do not want to turn this into a taper vs. 1.5 headtube thread, I am just looking for options. Thanks

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the nukeproof megas are worth checking out if your looking to replace your mbuzi. Climbs slightly better and in work we've a demo bike with coil lyrics and xo groupset comming in at 30lbs. Anyone whos taken it out loves it. They can be built in the 27-28lbs region if you go super light on it.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The 1.5 really limits your options. That said, you can add a Nicolai Helius AC or AM to the list as they'll add one on for you. Not sure who else is doing a 1.5 option.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Banshee Spitfire! great geo. its tagged as a DH bike for an XC rider and a XC bike for a DHiller!
Looks good. I'll keep it in mind, but it has a tapered head tube and shock size is shorter than I listed. However the Rune looks spot on.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
EDIT - damnit, I keep getting sniped...

While I certainly love my Spitfire, it has a tapered headtube. The only option that comes to mind is the Intense Tracer 2.

It's a 8.5" X 2.5" shock, but otherwise matches up pretty well with your criteria.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you get the right tapered headtube, then you can still run angleset. I know that still leaves out specialized, but companies like Transition would be in the running. I think the only drawback would be that you wouldn't be able to run full 1.5 steerer.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, I'm looking for a trail bike that only a DHer could love. Help me find a frame that meets these prerequisites:

5-6" rear travel
1.5 head tube
135mm rear (12mm is a plus)
standard rear shock mounts (no Specialized)
200x57 rear shock possible?

I'm coming off a Morewood Mbuzi that when built up it weighs close to 35lbs. I'm wanting something lighter and more of an every day trail bike. I really like the Specialized Stumpy, but just can't get over the taper headtube, unique shock mounts, etc.

I do not want to turn this into a taper vs. 1.5 headtube thread, I am just looking for options. Thanks

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But in truth, you're going to be hard pressed to find a 1.5" frame at this point in time unless you're going used.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've been really happy with my Devinci Dixon. It ticks off most of the boxes for your requirements (145mm travel, standard shock mount, 200x57 shock) the exceptions being - tapered head tube (ZS44 top/ZS56 bottom)and 142x12 rear end. It's the best all-rounder I've had and another plus is big bearings (that are all the same size) at every pivot.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Why do people get so bent out of shape with multiple threads on the same subject. Is the internet running out of space?
The sport is changing rapidly, it's a good subject- I don't know why everyone cares so much either...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I see why people want to post AM questions in this forum- it's the knowledge base from a dher's perspective. Maybe a "trail bike for dher's" forum?

I know rebranding it (cross country or freeride forum) seems stupid, but so is the whole mini dh v freeride, all mountain v over mountain, etc.

Then people may get less upset about multiple threads on the same subject in the "wrong" place?

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Another difficult thing about re-using someone's thread is that a lot changes in very little time.

Dropper seat post diameter, tapered headtube, angleset, 135, 145, QR, QR15, 20mm, 68/73, 83, BB30....

Asking questions about something with a certain amount of travel is too dang vague anymore.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
This is a legitimate question, but why are you so persistant on the 1.5 headtube? With the limited options on 1.5 straight forks, and lightweight trail stems to accomidate them, the only reason I can come up with is the angleset option, which is achievable with a tapered set up.

Even then, I'm curious why you'd entertain the angleset option on a proper trail bike. Unless you bought a bike with a short headtube (see: Trek E2), you'd be adding stack height with an angleset, and most front-ends are high enough as it is. Hell, I run my stem flipped negative even without an angleset. In my opinion, it's way easier to buy these bikes based on the desired geometry and suspension platform, then building based around that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
This is a legitimate question, but why are you so persistant on the 1.5 headtube?
Mostly I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to change. I really like the versatility of the 1.5 headtube and 135mm rear. I adopted it and invested in a headset and fork. I don't want to keep running out and buying new stuff every time a new standard comes along. That doesn't mean I can resist it though.

I asked here because I want suggestions from people who ride like I do. The normal XC rider can't appreciate what I want out of an XC bike.

I didn't simply ask for a DHers trail bike. I was looking for specific frames that had specific requirements. Thanks for though that take the time to respond. I had no idea to look at Devinci.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i've been on a similar quest

banshee's options, the spitfire and rune, seem to be the best in my mind, mainly due to the shorter seat tube heights compared to similar bikes from other manufacturers. Also add in a good suspension platform and good angles and it seems like they are tough to beat.

the canfield one also seemed appealing to me, running it with the shorter shock to achieve 6.5 inches of travel. a little bit on the burly side though

also the knolly chilcotlin seems to be spot on, or the new 170mm morewood but details are extremely limited at this time

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I adopted it and invested in a headset and fork..
Does this mean that you have a 1.5 steerer already? If so, converting your fork to taper is usually always possible. Might be annoying, but you could think of it as freshening up your fork, updating it, and you will have a lot more options available as far as frames.

Heck, I'm sure you could even get into cheaper "big brand" bikes that would make up for the cost of converting your fork.

Not saying 1.5 is bad, just trying to help you find a sweet ride.

Also, I think that Mega is a pretty nice looking bike!

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I sold my well built 303 rdh and picked up a Tracer 2 mid summer. I have found that the Tracer 2 corners better, pedals better, and takes square edged hits better than my dh bike did... I'm riding it in the lower travel setting with a 36 Talas fork and 3x9 drivetrain.

Unlike most of the trail/am type bikes I have ridden, you sit in this bike rather than on top of it. My only regret is not getting this bike sooner.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado