Quantcast

Lots of non-Maxxis tires at Ft. Bill

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
EXACTLY! I'm a former hardcore rockcrawler and now a wannabe desert racer(from the midwest....?) and I've ALWAYS cut my own tires. When BFG came out with the blank Krawlers it was like they heard my prayers.

Oh and knives take WAAAAAY too long on mtb tires and it feels like it actually distorts the carcass itself, concerned me about the the tires integrity, I found endcutters to be the method of choice. Like 10 minutes per tire for even a serious cut pattern, just go over it a few times dry before you even pick up the cutters. Don't want to mess up a pattern on something like that!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Damn...how sick would a blank tire be, anyway??? Id like to see several versions: One i'd like to see basically a spike but with twice as many lugs. Second, Id like to see a tire that looks like the front tires on tractors and sandrails, just 4 solid rubber rails with only lateral(turning) traction in mind, then cut and ramp as needed to provide braking.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
When I said hot blade, I was thinking more something like this...

I like your 4 rib idea. I've got a few ideas bouncing around my head as well. I'm pretty sure with the proper base pattern, you could cut yourself a pattern that would work on any surface from hard pack to soft, with the exception of a mud spike, that would take a different mold.

I'm sure we could sort this out for about $10k and two trips to Taiwan. Oh well, nevermind!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
^ you get those MM's from ? That's where mine came from. They were sold as dh casing but they feel almost single ply to me.
I am a bit bitter about this. I'll flat in the parking lot of the bike park I frequent.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
^ you get those MM's from chainlove? That's where mine came from. They were sold as dh casing but they feel almost single ply to me.
Exactly. At $17, I'm not too bitter.
The Wicked Wills I got are true DH. And the rubber feels right. The price is the give away. I paid $35 for the good ones.

I'm still going to air up the MMs and try them ghetto tubeless. The tread pattern is promising for some of our terrain but I can't find the 2.35 DH tires anywhere.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Holy sh!t Kidwoo, looks like they've been listening to you... (if you run them in the opposite direction) :eek:

That looks like an awesome trail tire for the east coast of NA.... in the right compound.

from the Vital slideshow here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/member/Leogang-World-Cup-Pit-Bits,2433/Schwalbe-4x-Tire,21518/dphilpott,8551
"Gatestar" compound...hmmm, that's new. I wonder how that will work...

I'm running these with some hard-as-old-pencil-eraser rubber and it's a great pattern (for east coast), but needs a bit more grip from the compound. Super light for the size (2.35) and pretty tough too (Snakeskin). They are floating around on Chainlove at the moment...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
"Gatestar" compound...hmmm, that's new. I wonder how that will work...

I'm running these with some hard-as-old-pencil-eraser rubber and it's a great pattern (for east coast), but needs a bit more grip from the compound. Super light for the size (2.35) and pretty tough too (Snakeskin). They are floating around on Chainlove at the moment...
These very ones?! without the opposing centre knob?! oh wait, I was confusing these with the alberts... d'oh. :think:

still, I wonder the gatestar compound will be like...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Holy sh!t Kidwoo, looks like they've been listening to you... (if you run them in the opposite direction)
Nope....that's the exact opposite of what I've been saying with regards to sideknobs (looks like that pic is a front tire rolling towards the camera). And see the way those center/intermediate knobs form a nice little 'V'? Would make a great braking edge to cup dirt in and grab right? But not the way that dude's running it.

I think gatestar means you get a little squirt of air out of your tires to start you rolling faster out of the gate :D

Last edited: