Quantcast

Low back pain on long rides...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Alright I have been struggling with this all summer. This has been on multiple bikes. I've been getting some pretty annoying low back pain/fatigue when I ride without stopping for about an hour... I start to feel it about an hour in... if I keep going and don't stop and stretch it out it can get pretty bad.

So I've been playing with bike fit a little and it doesn't seem to be having any effect. I have had low back pain in the past and have alleviated it pretty easily by changing stem length and bar height. This time I cant seem to figure it out.

I've tried moving the saddle around, raising and lowering the bars, shortening the stem, adding bar ends to give more positions on the bike... I just cant seem to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW I'm 6', and am riding a 19 just like I have for the last 12 years.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Do you ride with a heavy bag on your back?
Just an idea.

Maybe you injured your lower back and it hasn't had a chance to heal? Just getting aggravated by riding.

My lower back hurts sometimes when I do a lot of standing steep climbing.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Do you ride with a heavy bag on your back?
Just an idea.

Maybe you injured your lower back and it hasn't had a chance to heal? Just getting aggravated by riding.

My lower back hurts sometimes when I do a lot of standing steep climbing.
I've always ridden with a camelbak (well, since they came out). Using a heavy or lighter bag doesn't seem to make a big difference, but it's a though. Maybe I'll go water bottle for a couple of rides and see how that works.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Though I don't follow my own advice any more, I always found that training my core muscles (i.e abs) helped alleviate back pain on the bike.

Apr 22, 2003
Lower VT
Though I don't follow my own advice any more, I always found that training my core muscles (i.e abs) helped alleviate back pain on the bike.
Agree with this as well. I recall reading an interview with Adam Craig where he mentioned that he suffered from similar woes. His solution was to cross train like a bastard, which is why he's also a pretty serious skier and kayaker. Point is, you need to roll some core exercises into your regimen to help alleviate the back pain. :)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You are either too stretched out, or need to grow some core/lower back muscles.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Agree that is great advice. Maybe try adjusting the seat height?
Agree with this as well. I recall reading an interview with Adam Craig where he mentioned that he suffered from similar woes. His solution was to cross train like a bastard, which is why he's also a pretty serious skier and kayaker. Point is, you need to roll some core exercises into your regimen to help alleviate the back pain. :)
This is VERY true.

It will also improve other areas of your riding.
Definitely work on some core strength. When I started 24 hour solos I worked my core quite a bit so I could stave off some of the back pain & fatigue and it really helped!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
A regimen of stretches, exercises be it a mix of standard, to Yoga, to Pillates. Find one that works for you and do it diligently. Getting a massage from time to time doesn't hurt either.

Really bad back pain was a symptom of my testicular cancer. i never equated that until after my diagnosis, as i've always had chronic back issues.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Core strength.

Your saddle/bar drop might be on the long side - as you age, your body may not be able to put up with as much stress over long periods of time.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have found the solution:

Sweet head angle, but that bb height is WACK!

Seriously though, I've had a similiar problem with backpain sometimes- I hadn't thought of core strengthening...

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Ride without Camelbak: fail
Shorten stem: fail (but bike handles a little tighter FTW)
Change seat height: fail
Change seat fore/aft: experiment pending
Beer gut: N/A

Started some stretching/core strengthening last night. I do have VERY tight hamstrings. I've never been very flexible, even as a kid I could barely touch my toes. I'm going to try to improve that over the next month and see if it helps.

After that... backiotomy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ride without Camelbak: fail
Shorten stem: fail (but bike handles a little tighter FTW)
Change seat height: fail
Change seat fore/aft: experiment pending
Beer gut: N/A

Started some stretching/core strengthening last night. I do have VERY tight hamstrings. I've never been very flexible, even as a kid I could barely touch my toes. I'm going to try to improve that over the next month and see if it helps.

Find a physical therapist that knows backs. Get a recommendation from your ortho (if you have one).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

How old are you? Pains sure start to creep in here and there with age.