Quantcast

M3 vs sunday

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2005 M3
Or a new 07 Sunday (but only in 3 months or so)
What do you think should I do?

Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Weight? Riding style? Height? Use? Build?

We need more info before we can give you a recommendation.

That said both are good bikes, the Sunday is a bit lower, with less travel. The M3 is longer travel, but the travel will feel more vague. Both pedal pretty dang well. You can't go wrong either way.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I do mostly DH.
I now have a SGS DH 2004 bike that I really like but I dont like the way they pedal....
The M3 is a small
The Sunday will be 16"
My height is 170cm

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Both would be good. I say ride both and see what you like. Keep in mind Intense's not so great reputation when it comes to alignment and hardware issues w/ Sundays (although the 07s shouldn't have any).

Are you a plow, ride over anything rider or a jump/hop/skip around and over stuff rider?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
price, or is it the same price, if same go with 07, i would always buy new before used, especialy in a DH race bike.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Definitely get the M3.
Currently, the M3 is one of the best downhill bikes in existence today.
Sundays are great and all...but the Intense quality and construction
is far superior.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Definitely get the M3.
Currently, the M3 is one of the best downhill bikes in existence today.
Sundays are great and all...but the Intense quality and construction
is far superior.
Worst overgeneralization ever.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
plus m3's are only available as a frame (as far as I know) and sundays are much cheaper and come complete and as a frame

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I think the M3s are awesome, but as others said I'll take a brand new Sunday vs a used M3. You don't know how much abuse the M3 has been through etc.

derry

Chimp
May 27, 2006
i had an m3 in 2005 and i'm now riding a sunday,
i had more problems with the m3 than any bike i have ever owned(and i started racing in 1992),the bearings go constantly, the shock bush's last about 2 weeks before they need changing, the lower rocker snapped and then to top it all off the swingarm bent.

the iron horse is deffinately the way to go. but if you really want an intense buy the socom.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
agreed... if it were NEW vs. NEW... then it'd be a toss up in my opinion... then you'd decide on price

Used frames can be tricky... unless someone is really thrashing a frame, the frame shoud be in fair condition. an '05 frame will have quite a bit more wear on it, so it might need an overhaul (replaced bearings). There's nothing wrong w/ buying a used frame... you just need to be more cautious.

Having said that. I'd go for the '07 Sunday.

I'm still debating on the '07 Sunday vs the 07 Intense Socum....depending on what i can get my hands on first!

flyboy

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i've pedaled both bikes, and ridden both bikes and an M3 does not pedal even close to a Sunday. The new vs. used is a no brainer. M3 is a fantastic bike, but in the end the Sunday will take it, assuming your not a plower. If you're a plower, put a 40 on an M3, if not put a WC on the Sunday.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have an M3 that I just got used! It weighs 40 LBS with heavy flats on it. So it is light. The bike makes alot of noise, but seems to suck alot up and make up for error well. The rear shock on my bike has no platform, and you can tell when you pedal the bike it does BOB without it. But it also sucks up everything in its path. The bike manuvers well and is easy to flick around. The bike feels satble at low and high speeds. Overall it seems a very good bike. I have raced Turners, Konas, Titus, and in 99 an Orange one of only a few around! This bike feels good amongst all those listed if that helps. If the used bike is half what the Ironhorse is get it. If it is like $1000 less consider it?
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206243&stc=1&d=1161837372

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
You don't know how much abuse the M3 has been through etc.
Very true. However, for about $250, you can send your frame to Intense, they'll strip it, inspect the welds, powdercoat it, and resticker it. I'm not sure, but I think they put in new bushings too. At least you'll have piece of mind; assuming they don't find any cracks.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Are you a plow, ride over anything rider or a jump/hop/skip around and over stuff rider?
if u answer yes to the first option go M3
if u answer yes to the second option go Sunday
if u answer NO to both options u re gay
if u answer yes to both options, u have personality issues
:bonk:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The sunday has a lower bottom bracket, slacker head angle, and pedals better. They did have their share of issues but I assume for 07 it's all sorted (then again they said that for 06 too, so probably not :)).

Either way, it's not hard to be better than intense in regards to build quality and longetivity, so i'd say take the sunday.

The only reason i'd take the M3 is if you are a bit of a hack as mentioned above, and would benefit from the extra travel. But if you're a hack, you shouldn't be on an intense anyway - so I think it's an easy choice.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
M3 is a fantastic bike, but in the end the Sunday will take it, assuming your not a plower. If you're a plower, put a 40 on an M3, if not put a WC on the Sunday.
Calling an M3 a plow bike is just a STUPID internet idea.....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Calling an M3 a plow bike is just a STUPID internet idea.....
Yeah I am not sure I would consider it a hack bike either. It is very nimble. It does have travel but both bikes do. If it plows through stuff better well good, cause if the Ironhorse can't then is it as good of an all around bike? I ride OK and have no problem moving and hopping the bike around so it should skip over section with ease also. Again it would be a cost issue for me either way. :rant:
Anybody want a screaming deal on my old ride let me know!!!!!!!!
Check it HERE.

derry

Chimp
May 27, 2006
Answer to sharkdh;
i did ride a dh9 in 2005, the intense died in the summer, so i bought the dh9.
the dh9 is still the best bike i have ever had but i got such a good deal on a new sunday i could'nt resist.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
I rode an M3 for 2 seasons and bought a Sunday factory frame a few months ago. The Sunday is the better race bike in my opinion.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
less than an inch of travel seperates a plow bike and a finess bike these days?

if anything the sunday "could" be used as a plow cause its lower and slacker and pedals better through the rough.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Anyone who thinks the Sunday can't be used as a "plow bike" has evidently never seen me ride ;)

-ska todd

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Todd comes roaring through like a freight train. Kind of like he's attempting to punish the ground. It's awesome! :)

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
I have been super happy with my Sunday. I have ridin both bikes and am, for the first time in MANY years, keeping a bike for another seasons. May not mean much to you, but to me, it means that the Sunday is durable and fun enough to want to do a second season on it. It was a real joy to ride. Looking forward to the new hardware tho I must say.

Pce,

Go for the new Sunday, no question.

I rode a 2001 M1 for a few years and went to a sunday last year, and the Sunday blows the bearings off of the Intense. Granted, an M1 is not an M3, but I like the Ironhorse way more, and have had less issues. My M1 has had 6 shock bolts broken during rides, many frame parts replaced, and currently is hung on the wall with cracks half way around both sides of the upper swingarm.

Someone brought up sending the used intense back for new paint and to have the frame checked. It's worth mentioning that bikes don't normally crack because of one impact, they get weak at high stress points over time from repeated impacts. Even if the factory strips the paint and doesn't find cracks, that doens't mean that the metal isn't stressed. A used dh rig is a used dh rig, cracks or not.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You will probably be happy on either bike. Some people the Sunday, some the M3- either one is a world-class race bike.

The deal breaker is the used-new thing. New is always better, particularly with a bike that I'd imagine you'd have a hard time getting any sort of warranty for if you broke something and are not the original owner.

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
you can be like renegade999, and buy both.

for serious i own both (don't ask, I was in a pinch when it came to ordering my race bike last year, and put an order in with both incase one was backordered) and they both pretty cool bikes. if you suck, you'll still suck. if youre decent, they'll probably make you a little better, and if you're good - it dont make a dang bit of difference.