Quantcast

M3

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A buddy of mine wants a M3 for FR and DH, mostly FR and hucking. Can a M3 be hucked? Intense says no.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
This is serious.... He called Intense today and they tried telling him that the M3 is a race bike only and should not be hucked. I say BS. I just wanted some opinions here and then Ill show him the thread. I say huck... huck away.

They tried telling him he needed the new V8 or whatever they are calling it now.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Intense bikes generally aren't "huck-friendly". They're sorta fragile, and they're really designed for super-smooth racers, not for abusive freeriding. Just my 2 cents.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
totally agree you can huck them if you feel like throwing 50-60 lbs of metal around in the air. but they were strictly made for dh RACE use. not really for somone who doesnt live near a place like whistler or big bear. so huck if you want but you have been warned.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
me89 said:
totally agree you can huck them if you feel like throwing 50-60 lbs of metal around in the air. but they were strictly made for dh RACE use. not really for somone who doesnt live near a place like whistler or big bear. so huck if you want but you have been warned.
try closer to 40lbs. The problem isn't that they are heavy for a downhill bike, in fact they are quite light. The issue is that intense's have a habit of exploding even under then smoothest of racers, forget hucking them off a house.

I would heed Intense's advice on this one..

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I wonder why the guy wants to do hucking on an M3 anyway.....is it because he thinks it looks cool ? Because that is the only reason I can think of.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
me89 said:
:eek: you have got to be kidding me, there is noway that they are that heavy, they are race bikes designed for RACING, the bike is just not meant for FR duties.

seismic said:
I wonder why the guy wants to do hucking on an M3 anyway.....is it because he thinks it looks cool ? Because that is the only reason I can think of.
:stupid:

tell your boy to get something that is more of a huck bike and not a pure bred race machine. The V8 would be a good bike for the job, i would def choose it over the M3 if I was looking at intense!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That question is like asking, "I've got a buddy who wants a WRX for rally-car races and mud bogging..."

The M3 is a lightweight race bike, and Intense isn't exactly known for their extremely strong race bikes anyway. If Intense says their bike can't be hucked, why would you disbelieve them? I doubt the profit margin for them is higher on the V8, so what do they have to gain by discouraging him from buying an M3?

If he wants a bike to throw himself off cliffs on, unless he's Cedric Gracia, he's gonna break stuff. The day that frame folds underneath him is the day the coolness factor of the bike goes out the window..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks guys. Im trying to steer him toward the new 9" travel Foes or the VP8 by SC or Demo 9 or the Highline. He wants a bike that not many people have. He has a BULLIT now, which he is giving to his son.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Kanter said:
Thanks guys. Im trying to steer him toward the new 9" travel Foes or the VP8 by SC or Demo 9 or the Highline. He wants a bike that not many people have. He has a BULLIT now, which he is giving to his son.

Wow this guy really has his priorities straight :rolleyes:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Lets see, you're questioning Intense after they told you it was a race only bike.:think: Then you come here to talk to our panel of experts to see if they were correct talking about the frame they manufacture.:rolleyes:

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
an m3 is going to be a dh bike, scott should know that, it's definitely not going to be good for the trailriding we need, and will be way to much bike for freeriding anyways. He should look at a new VPFree for sure, or a demo8

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Why would you not believe intense? Its not like the company making the bike is gunna lie to you about something like that? If anything they would lie and say it can be hucked just to sell more bikes but that just shows intense's character and quality as a bike company. I would believe the company before anything and no wonder this guy wants a unique bike he was on a bullit hahhahaha. It looks as though the vp free is going to become the new bullit and the demo9 looks like its going to be as popular as the bighit so those two choices don't seem as "exotic" as an m3. Besides the m3 isnt going to be out for a while i suppose, I haven't even seen any of the pros on them. I could have sworn i saw kovarik and jonnier on m1s at least at the beginning of the season but I could be wrong. Anyway if the company tells you it shouldn't be hucked then it should not be hucked!

I guess i really didnt tell u anything usefull, sorry but I felt i should add to the growing flame. :thumb:

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
Here's the deal:

1) The V8 is called the Uzzi now. So call it the Uzzi and not the V8, I know it'll be hard, I still call it my V8 sometimes.

2) I have been riding an M3 since January. Sabrina was riding an M1 at the beginning, kovarik wasnt, he's still hurt.

3) The M3 is designed for racing. Dont huck it off of huge drops, that'd be stupid. It's a very nice bike though, I love mine.

4) Use the Uzzi for hucking, it was designed for it!! It's alot lighter than a real dh bike so it'll be easier for ya to lift it onto whatever house your riding off and the bike is still strong.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
David K, I saw you at Snowshoe and wanted to say hello, but you seemed in the zone so I didn't bother you. However you always seem really nice here on the board.

Take it easy.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
IFL said:
Here's the deal:

1) The V8 is called the Uzzi now. So call it the Uzzi and not the V8, I know it'll be hard, I still call it my V8 sometimes.

2) I have been riding an M3 since January. Sabrina was riding an M1 at the beginning, kovarik wasnt, he's still hurt.

3) The M3 is designed for racing. Dont huck it off of huge drops, that'd be stupid. It's a very nice bike though, I love mine.

4) Use the Uzzi for hucking, it was designed for it!! It's alot lighter than a real dh bike so it'll be easier for ya to lift it onto whatever house your riding off and the bike is still strong.
Id take your advice in a heartbeat because I know you know what your talking about. ;) you gunna be at snowmass mr K?

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
profro said:
David K, I saw you at Snowshoe and wanted to say hello, but you seemed in the zone so I didn't bother you. However you always seem really nice here on the board.

Take it easy.
Thanks man! Feel free to talk to me anytime, whether I look in the zone or not! Lol

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
your buddy might want to consider the canfield f1. it's rare, it's not too heavy, and lance canfield rode one in the red bull rampage so i'd assume that means it's also "huckable"... plus i like mine just fine :D

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
IFL said:
Thanks man! Feel free to talk to me anytime, whether I look in the zone or not! Lol
Thats cool and good to know. By the way, what in the world happend to you in that section of Earthed at the Worlds? I can not for the life of me see what happened to send you over the bars like that. :D I love seeing fast guys wreck just like the rest of us. ;)

biker3

Turbo Monkey
profro said:
Thats cool and good to know. By the way, what in the world happend to you in that section of Earthed at the Worlds? I can not for the life of me see what happened to send you over the bars like that. :D I love seeing fast guys wreck just like the rest of us. ;)
I think its cause that course was brutally rutted and that loose ass turn was just insanely hard to clean. It looked like to me guys were just getting shot in there at high speeds and sometimes got caught off gaurd by the brake bumps, moon dust etc. but im sure you kinda figured that already profro :thumb:

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
Yeah, I should be headin to aspen on thursday. My knee isnt near a hundred percent yet but heck, I have to get out there.

Earthed: That turn had hidden tree roots and rocks in the dust but anyway, I went outta control further up in the turn and finally got myself straight but my feet where still off and the cranks were up and down and my pedal got stuck in the dirt when my suspension compressed. Sucked cause I thought I saved it!

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
IFL said:
Here's the deal:

Am i missing something here???

Use the lighter frame with less travel for hucking off stuff???

:(

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
stoney98 said:
DK's M3 is awesome, if I end up getting a dh bike again, it's quite likely to be eithre an m3 (cause I'll be rich bitch!) or a yeti again.
hahah...one day it's a DHi, the other a Yeti, then a DHR, now an M3...

stoney98 said:
"There's a tool for every job, use them appropriately."
-Acadian
hahahaha :thumb: got that right!! that's why I need a few more bike!!
:evil:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
stoney98 said:
shut up. I'm confused and poor. One day I'll be rich then I'll buy a bike for no reason other then cause I can. Unless I decide to save up and get an STi... Cause hauling balls in a car is SOOOOO fun. I'm getting pretty good at my ebrake turn, and my drifting is getting pretty dialed. I like the idea of autoX or rally.... so much more fun drifting at 50 then riding a bike.
oh boy...one more nut on the roads!! :dead:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What the hell is hucking anyway?

Lots of DH courses have big rock drops, doubles, etc., and with the speed involved some riders get huge air in the middle of a race. Is it not a huck because it's on a race course? Even though it's bigger than what an average hucker would do?

Stupid terminology...

:mumble:

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
Cave Dweller said:
Am i missing something here???

Use the lighter frame with less travel for hucking off stuff???

:(
The Uzzi is made for the average free-rider! Not the retards that throw themselves off 40 foot cliffs! Honestly, how many people do those big of drops?! 8 inches of travel is plenty! If you're a kinda person that wants 12 or so, go out and buy a 50 lb Karpiel

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Well, I think Intense M1 frames eat least are really strong. A friend of mine who weight 140kg has been riding a Intense M1 for over 3 years now, DH, street, FR etc, and his frame is still good, even the shock is still good, with no service at all!

It is built up heavy, with monster T forks, Renthal MX bars(He is really big, and needs wide bars,) 24" wheels, etc)

So the frames are really strong, no crack, or anyting in his bike!

Jun 19, 2004
alamo
dude go for it. i see people hucking intence bikes all the time all u got to do is land smooth and u will be fine. just dont take it on any drops to flat. that is bad. but i waold say go for it they are really strong bikes and i am buying one too they are sick

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
stoney98 said:
hucking is what bender does. hucking is what we racer folk make fun of canadians for. ie. slow speed drops to poor landings. Often you get big drops in racing, but most racers are notably smoother then "huckers" and those drops are done at higher speeds.

As for the dude with the m1 w/ monster 24s etc, it's onlya matter of time.
Just the word alone makes my skin crawl.
Hucking. ewwww.
I respect all forms of Mt. Biking.
Trailriding, Freeriding, DH, XC, MTX racing, Street, Trials, whatever.
But Hucking is just flat out dumb.
Of course, I am not talking about all these freeriders with sick style and riding ability and all that.
But the dudes dropping off of retaining walls onto flat paved landings on their
huck machines makes me want to blow chunks.
Yuck. Oh well, I guess all the parts that they break are good for our industry.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Christiaan said:
Well, I think Intense M1 frames eat least are really strong. A friend of mine who weight 140kg has been riding a Intense M1 for over 3 years now, DH, street, FR etc, and his frame is still good, even the shock is still good, with no service at all!

It is built up heavy, with monster T forks, Renthal MX bars(He is really big, and needs wide bars,) 24" wheels, etc)

So the frames are really strong, no crack, or anyting in his bike!
i bet there is cracks youhavent seen...especially at the chainstay and headtube.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I am a proud hucker :rolleyes: . Today I am going on an urban huck ride. I have this huck I have been thinking about hucking, it is a big huck so I really need to huck it hard.

I have been trying to motivate my self, I keep thinking huck that huck you hucker, huck it! :help: