Quantcast

made my own DH frame... check it out

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Here it is...

It took me about 35 hours to build, and probably 20 more to set up and prepare to do stuff etc. (yes I am slow). Its my first ever welding project, and it shows. The welds are very sub-par, but that is to be expected. Anyways, I made it out of 4130 straight wall tubing, and whatever scraps I could find in the University of Colorado machine shop. The frame actually turned out to be fairly stiff and straight, although it does have a certain "steel" flex or whatever to it. The frame is otherwise nice and straight as far as I can tell. The bike really likes to run stuff over due to a rearward axle path from the high pivot. The downside is that it pedals horribly even with the roller. Also the roller should be above the pivot, not below so it would pull the wheel into the travel, not extending it (like it does now). Anyways I'm pretty happy the way the bike turned out, it rides like a Downhill bike, and it didn't break on its maiden voyage today. Heres the specs: Geometry: 66-67* head angle, 16.5" chainstay, 45.5" wheelbase and 14" bb height. I spent $130 on tubing and bearings and hardware etc...

Here are some pictures from building and riding...

Trying to ride on ice...

Nice eyes...

Let me know what you think.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Looks great, cool shots too, thought you were floating on water at first:p

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Thats pretty cool man, do you actually plan on racing and using it for the whole season? Let us know how it holds up and more pictures are always great! Good luck with it and congrats on making it...

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Very, very nice! Regardless of how it performs or how long it lasts you have done something every single person on this board has drempt of doing..... making THEIR OWN dh frame! :thumb:

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Congratulations D-camp-29

Great first attept, is nothing like riding on your own stuff, as chessy or heavy as it may be is your own blood put into motion

Keep the good work and the great spirit

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
xy9ine said:
rad. i love stuff like this. reminds me of junkyard wars. i wish i had a metalwork shop at my disposal.

Haha I used to like that show, then it got boring and repetative, o well

I just noticed the 303 in the background, sick

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Sweet! Your welds will improve with time. I remember how bad my first welds were, and they were on angle iron, not delicate tubes. Joining tubes is still tricky, but it looks like you did a good job fabricating some jigs to help you. Where did you get the tubing for the job? I've been thinking about building my own frame for a long time--looking to incorporate design and fabrication elements from a bunch of different frames I've seen. I always hesitate because I'm afraid I won't be able to keep the frame straight/keep from melting through thin tubes...etc. Great to see that someone went ahead and did it.

Congrats

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
biker3 said:
Word, Dcamp, that looks real good. Are you planning on going to AngelFire?
yeah I'm gonna try and be at angelfire.

To answer some more questions- no, I won't be racing this bike anytime soon, I have a Giant Faith that I'll be riding all season. As for this homemade beast, it rides pretty good, tracks decently, and it eats bumps really well, but pedaling performance is bad- it bobs a lot. And no- it doesn't compare to the Yeti 303- at all.
I'll try and get some more action shots- but I haven't had time to ride much lately.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
stgil888 said:
Sweet! Your welds will improve with time. I remember how bad my first welds were, and they were on angle iron, not delicate tubes. Joining tubes is still tricky, but it looks like you did a good job fabricating some jigs to help you. Where did you get the tubing for the job? I've been thinking about building my own frame for a long time--looking to incorporate design and fabrication elements from a bunch of different frames I've seen. I always hesitate because I'm afraid I won't be able to keep the frame straight/keep from melting through thin tubes...etc. Great to see that someone went ahead and did it.

Congrats

yeah- welding on thin tubing was pretty hard- and I used a plasma cutter to miter the tubes and then used a bench grinder to smooth them out so there were a lot of gaps at the joints. Next time I'll use a hole saw notcher- that should make much better miters so I won't have to fill a bunch of big gaps in the tubes and then burn a bunch more holes trying to fill the gaps. Heres the websites I used:
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=1185/index.html Tubing
Boltdepot.com
bearingsdirect.com
novacycles.com(for bb shell)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
it looks like the wheel has a tight wheel path, by this i mean, like it stays really snug to the bike, it must turn well, but how does it take the square edges (nothing is better at taking square edges then the 303)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
very nice work all in all, i have respect for people who build there own stuff, and then has balls enough to test it

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats wicked cool. I want to learn to weld so bad. I've never welded but have already priced out what I would need to build frames:thumb:

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
That's cool, I really wanna do something like that. And you have the balls to test it, which I probably wouldn't have, LOL.

Welds look a little scary, but it will improve with time. Doesn't look like TIG at all to me (hell, I HOPE it isn't TIG, they'd be even scarier), looks like MIG. What machine did you use? I'd love to build a bike once I get proficient with TIG. I'm about to certify in SMAW, but ummm that might not be too fun trying to weld super thin stuff with an arc welder :D.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
Nice work! If you have an oppurtunity, try tig welding the frame
next time. Once you get the hang of tig welding, it's actually quite
easy and will give you very nice welds on tubing.