Quantcast

majin 2009 is finally here! the first one is done!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I would really love to BUY A FRAME. like, GIVE YOU MONEY.

how should be go about trying to order one? Vitox is the who everyone is saying we should contact, but he hasn't posted anything since a year ago last Thursday (4.23.08).
any ideas?...

dhdeskisiado

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
it's one kind, that's true. not the only kind.

something definitely not right about $480 for a fully custom FS frame. setting up a fixture to hold those tubes would be complex and expensive in tooling parts. the tubes would be expensive. the plate steel for gussets and pivot plates would not be expensive but the cutting would. how is this person doing all that for $480?

something somewhere has to give. a simple double-triangle frame custom-cut and welded or brazed to order can't be found for $480. there's a reason for that. you just can't pay yourself enough money (i.e. your hourly self-paid wage is around $3.00) at that low price to make the effort worthwhile. the only way to reduce costs is to send the welding and other fab to Taiwan and use a big bike welding factory like On-One, Vassago, Zion, and countless others do to implement their designs at a volume rate.

how's this person doing it at $480 a pop? Is he just really rich and able to give away his labor?

is because materials and all that stuff is cheaper in chile, and is only 1 person doing the frames, so there's no need of pay other people and stuff.

and is because of the currency change chilean peso to american dollar, anyways because of the dollar price now the price is 550 dollars without shock. still cheap here in the US and other countries, but in chile is a amount of money that no everyone can afford, but still more affordable than other frames.

550 without shock, shipping and all that stuff.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
majin frames work flawlessly, and for those of you wondering why its so cheap, well the exchange is the difference. If youd live here you would understand... but yeah, for an average joe in the states 550 for a full yon custom frame is cheap, for the average joe in chile its alot of money, mucho dineros!

here is my ex majin (sold couple months ago)

riding her!

Last edited:

sethius

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Guys still pumping these machines out?

How did everyone go ordering their frame, did everyone get theirs?

Has there been any durability issues?

Still direct order from you guys?

any more information would be tops, may have 2 guys super keen.

price is 480 or 550?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
it depends on what frame you get, there are various models. He's been working on a VPP style bike for almost two years now, its been pretty good so far. Don't know if he would be able to sell them to people on the states though... The single pivot one is still for sale and dead dead cheap. If all goes well, he'll be working with Alu soon and through a real shop. You'd probably be able to buy them off the shop, it be a lot more realible too, cheers!

sethius

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
it depends on what frame you get, there are various models. He's been working on a VPP style bike for almost two years now, its been pretty good so far. Don't know if he would be able to sell them to people on the states though... The single pivot one is still for sale and dead dead cheap. If all goes well, he'll be working with Alu soon and through a real shop. You'd probably be able to buy them off the shop, it be a lot more realible too, cheers!
Not an issue as we/I am an Aussie so all good. :p

I've linked up to the facebook as well, will try to send a few emails and see what the go is on the blog spot.

Any more info on the alu business? That could be worth waiting for!
thanks man.

edit: that email, MajinCycles@Gmail.com, im seeing alot of capitals, can anyone confirm that it works and its not majincycles@gmail.com ? ive sent an email to both anyways..

Last edited:

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Why would you want to feed all HT loads into the centre line of the connecting tubes?
maybe its just a way of spreading out the load over a certain area versus just at the junction?
That's just it.... it doesn't really spread the load but focuses it on the center line of the tube at right angles where it has no "web strength" to distribute these forces. ( I do admit that Majins 1 piece through tube design is a little better than exterior gussets place like this though, but still not to clever an idea)
Where as plate gussets welded to the sides like the older Majins have, feed the load into the sides of the tube in line with the material without trying to crimp the tube. It's really just standard fabrication/engineering/welding practice in most common cases.
For reference google some images of any top level motorsport that uses roll cages/space frames, WRC,NASCAR,NRHA etc and I pretty much guarantee that you wont see any gussets like latest Majins.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
That's just it.... it doesn't really spread the load but focuses it on the center line of the tube at right angles where it has no "web strength" to distribute these forces. ( I do admit that Majins 1 piece through tube design is a little better than exterior gussets place like this though, but still not to clever an idea)
Where as plate gussets welded to the sides like the older Majins have, feed the load into the sides of the tube in line with the material without trying to crimp the tube. It's really just standard fabrication/engineering/welding practice in most common cases.
For reference google some images of any top level motorsport that uses roll cages/space frames, WRC,NASCAR,NRHA etc and I pretty much guarantee that you wont see any gussets like latest Majins.
Yeh but then he is surrounding it with tubing and that coupled with the headset cupsshould be fine. Actually the headset doesn't transfer its forces to the side of the walls but rather right where that gusset would be. Might be better there in the centre??

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Yeh but then he is surrounding it with tubing and that coupled with the headset cupsshould be fine. Actually the headset doesn't transfer its forces to the side of the walls but rather right where that gusset would be. Might be better there in the centre??
How front ends fail on frames via the headtube only (only ever actually seen headtubes fail themselves due to ovalization which is usually reinforced with rings or wrap around gussets) vs cracks or total failure of either or both of the top and down tubes just behind the head tube? There's a reason gussets like this are referred to as "can openers" in some circles.
Ok I'm not going to derail this thread anymore but anyone who wants to discuss this with me can via PM.:thumb:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile

Okay, so what I understand from these pictures is he's trying to divert all forces no onto a weld but onto the plate of steel. That would be the logic from looking at these pictures. I dont know really, but that's what it looks like.

sethius

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
majin 2009 is finally here, 5.5 kilos with shock i think 100% steel with pivots in aluminum.

here is the most sickest steel frame ever.

probably a future model in cromo 4130, estimate weight 4.8 kilos, nothing official.
Few questions about this model even though he is no longer building it sadly.

When in the 6" mode what changes to the suspension occur? do the ride characteristics change much? and vica versa for the 8.5". This still seems like one of the best frames for my wants to be honest.

How is the pedal feedback? brake jack? anti squat etc.

edit: found the changes, are you guys changing spring rates when you can travel settings? or running correct spring for 8.5" and just using it as a harder ride in the 6"?

Last edited: