Quantcast

Manitou 200mm Singlecrown

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just wait until 2008. I hear both Manitou and Marzocchi will have competing 300mm single crowns. They will have 67mm stanctions and an axle-to-crown height of 37" (due, of course, to the massive crown necessary).

Seriously, though, it's not my thing but it's sure a cool piece of engineering and as proof-of-concept, it's interesting that you might be able to buy a fork in any travel you want and have the option of both single or double crown...

Cwilly006

Monkey
Jul 13, 2004
binary visions said:
Just wait until 2008. I hear both Manitou and Marzocchi will have competing 300mm single crowns. They will have 67mm stanctions and an axle-to-crown height of 37" (due, of course, to the massive crown necessary).
And still with a low weight of 4 pounds correct

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i dont really see the point of these huge single crown they would be good for freeriding but for dh theres just no point i would rather the security of a dual crown so if i crash high speed my bars wont spin and pin my leg to the frame or just something stupid like that

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Except for ETA and lighter weight.
Marzocchi make some great products, with interesting features... but they really need to combine all the good features in to the one product. I'm a cynical pedant, but can find a "flaw" in every one of their forks... be it too tall, too heavy, not adjustable enough, etc. Then again, you could probably do that to every product on the market.
It reminds me of Nokia in a way, they have different features for each phone, but never can you get a flagship model with everything built in.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Can't say as I like the 8" SC but to each his own. The thing I don't like is that you can't get a 6" with 1.5 anymore. These forks are becoming hardtail unfriendly.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Its very hard to find a 4" travel, hardtail friendly fork that doesn't weight a ton. I'd like a 4" travel 20mm fork along the lines of a Minute or Talas.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
profro said:
Its very hard to find a 4" travel, hardtail friendly fork that doesn't weight a ton. I'd like a 4" travel 20mm fork along the lines of a Minute or Talas.
Fox 36. Adjustable down to 110mm. Pricey though. :evil:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
profro said:
What about the Manitou Firefly Plus 150 --> 110 as well.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
peter6061 said:
What about the Manitou Firefly Plus 150 --> 110 as well.
The fork's characteristics are greatly changed when the travel is adjusted down to 110mm. Not the same as a true 4" fork.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn I wish I had a tape measure when I was messing around with that fork. The AC dimension looked huge but I can't say for sure. Theoretically the extended legs should help get more travel without adding a full inch on top, but that crown must be pretty burly so overall it's gotta be pretty tall. Like stock 888 tall at least.

And I don't know why McRae even bothered to comment on performance. His bike shop test gets :stosh: for sounding a little too MBA.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
The fork's characteristics are greatly changed when the travel is adjusted down to 110mm. Not the same as a true 4" fork.
Yep, the market blows right now for any straight up 4" travel 20mm forks.

And that 200mm single crown is the dumbest looking fork I've seen yet.
Useless.

That DH fork on the other hand is what Manitou should have been making all along. That thing looks promising.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
profro said:
Well, it's just pre-loaded 40mm, otherwise the same. Not as good as TALAS but if you know you're gonna run it 110 you can set it up a little soft.

Or for something a little lighter you could get a hex-axle Nixon Elite, coil sprung, rapid travel adjust:

http://www.answerproducts.com/items.asp?deptid=1&itemid=125

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
CBJ said:
No because Cam McRae dosen't know who he is.
Hahaha, I noticed that too.
stupid NSMB writer said:
This dude was the highlight of the DJ comp for me. He didn't seem to have an invite, and the jumpers were focused on qualifying, but the crowd was on his side.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
this guy totally kicks ass.

i think i´ve seen pics of him in last years sea otter jumping on a kiddie pink bike, with a romic sticker on his jacket...
awesome..

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
that guy is my hero...
where can i see more pics??? and last years sea otter with the 12inch wheeled bike..??
Just search the forums (here, MTBR, Pinkbike) for "Sanjay" and "pixie bike" or "beach cruiser" - there were a dozen pictures of him jumping both bikes. The picture of him on the little tiny pixie bike was hilarious.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Bulldog said:
That's the new AM series. Offer an option for 20mm on the AM and the Z-series is dead.
Exactly my point about always missing something... the AMs look beautiful, except for the lack of 20mm.
And I'll agree with the whining about decent, low-travel 20mm forks... it seems companies automatically say 20mm = X-treme jibhuck, and won't spec the standard on a lighter, more trail orientated fork.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Tarpon said:
Can't say as I like the 8" SC but to each his own. The thing I don't like is that you can't get a 6" with 1.5 anymore. These forks are becoming hardtail unfriendly.
The travis single is coming in 150,180,& 203mm with A-C 542,572,595mm.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ufdff15 said:
If that ends up being correct, 595mm for the 203 is about the same as a stock 888 (23.5"). Not as tall as I expected but still, unless the frame is built to accommodate it that's too tall for me. Speaking theoretically, that would give a 64 or maybe 64.5 degree head angle on my vp-free. Too slack, especially considering I get 65.5 with my 888/flat crown combo.

Meh, it was inevitable. I think the new lowers look pretty good, and the new spv sounds promising as well. I guess anyone spec'ing a 203 Travis can accomodate it - they need to go 1.5 anyway.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
an 8" single crown seems like an attempt to up the ante on the FOX 40...weight wise

no idea what a travis weighs but ya know...

so whatever, answer needs a REAL dampening system...FOX stuff just works, like Zokes, the plus side with FOX is the lower weight

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
Rik said:
And I'll agree with the whining about decent, low-travel 20mm forks... it seems companies automatically say 20mm = X-treme jibhuck, and won't spec the standard on a lighter, more trail orientated fork.
RockShox Pike with U-turn?

I'm not a RS fan. But the Pike's are fairly light weight, basically have a 20mm axle (QR Maxle thingy) and with U-turn the spring rate doesn't get all wonky like the travel adjust feature on the Manitou forks.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Oh yeh, I've all but confirmed my purchase of a Pike, but it was a decision made through lack of options moreso than anything else. It's still a sweet fork, no doubting that, shame it doesn't have much in the way of competition. Who else makes a lightish, 20mm fork, with external travel and compression/threshold adjustment.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
If Marzocchi had a "normal" version of the Shiver SC, ie a "Z1 classic" sort of fork, it'd be damn popular IMO. A modern version of the Z1 dual, light enough for all-round duties but still tough enough to take some rough sufff :drool:

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
ufdff15 said:
That would be good news then, first I have heard of it. I have been disappointed that they no longer offer a Breakout in 6". Any word on the weight? The Breakout is nice and light for what you get (love my '04).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
that website said:
This dude was the highlight of the DJ comp for me. He didn't seem to have an invite, and the jumpers were focused on qualifying, but the crowd was on his side. Sanjay Shanberg got everyone psyched by holding up his road bike and then ran to the top of the run in. He piled hard on his first attempt, brushed himself off and again held his bike up for the crowd - and this time they were really pumped. Off he went again and this time he nailed it. These were tough jumps even for the pros and I have no idea how he managed to pull it off on a bike with 700c wheels. Sanjay also managed a 2:33.9 in the Pro DH - a very respectable time.
"Shanberg?" Sanj is Jewish now? Sweet! First we got Whoopi Goldberg, now Sanjay... the dreadlocks are really piling up for the Israelites.

I forget, though, Sanj...are you Pakistani or black?

MD