Quantcast

Manitou Stance

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Has anyone heard about the new Manitou Stance forks for 2005? I saw something about them on a German Web site, but there wasn't much information.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I saw some pictures on pinkbike saying that it was supposed to be a budget version of the slider/slider plus. Looked alot like the current slider plus, with the same crowns and SPV adjustments visible, but with black stanchions. Maybe manitou is going to make a seperate sherman dc line for 05 to differentiate them from the single crowns. Who knows... Anyway, it looked pretty blingin to me.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
You get some of those stools and have yourself some grub with Chris King salt and pepper shakers. Then when you go to s*** you have a fork that holds the tp. That would be living in style.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
stance pics and specs...

Kingpin (170 mm travel, DC, 1 1/8 steerer), Flow (150 mm travel, SC, 1.5 steerer), Static (Street/dirt, SC, 80-100 mm travel, 1 1/8 steerer)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Ifelloffabike said:
they were probably defective forks that got taken off the line by quality control
probably not, blem forks would most likely be stripped down for their good parts. I would bet that those "stool" forks have no internals to somewhat reduce cost...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Wow, those forks look quite nice... I wonder how they sit in relation to the shermans? They look very similar, sans black stanchions. That kingpin may defintly be sitting on the front of my next bike. 2005 looks like its gonna be a sick year for forks and frames, all the manufacturers are stepping it up. The new adjustable travel boxxers, marzocchi 66, these new manitous, heck even the new magura forks. Yay!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
just noticed something...

the Stance has a Schrader cap on the left leg, the Slider SPV has it on the right leg. Is the Stance equipped with an air assist and no SPV, or is SPV independent of the compression leg for '05??? That's the only mechanical difference I can see.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
punkassean said:
they ride nice...but what differentiates them from a Sherman??????
Exactly what I was wondering, the regualr qr dropout stance dc (kingpin?) looks like it could be a budget slider plus, but if they ride simlilarly then i dunno. Maybe the shermans are gettin replaced with something sounding cooler. :nope:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
anyone heared anything about a stance blunt? i saw it listed with the other stance's but w/ no explanation, also will there be a flow with a 1 1/8 steerer?
________
Roll blunts

Last edited:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
ViolentVolante said:
Just a guess, but something tells me all of the TPC+ shermans will be gone, and the TPC+ forks will be the stances and all SPV shermans will be the 05 Sherman line
Ahh, makes sense. Upon closer examination of the pictures that seems right. Yay for VV.

smash-itup

Chimp
Mar 25, 2004
scituate MA
they translated a german article on them on pinkbike and it said
"because kids don't have enough money for the sherman line, manitou introduces the stance line.
Aim: same performance but only half the price
manitou stance kingpin 7" dc adjustable rebound 350€ (430usd)
stance flow sc 1.5" 6" 325€ (399usd)
stance static dirt street fork 80 -100 mm 285€ (350usd)
there is also a new shock line with a more simple spv also cheaper"

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Hmm. Sounds right, but I know many people who would rather save up to get maxium performance (and blingage :think: ) instead of what seems to be a 'budget' fork. Not bashing Manitou at all, I'm sure these forks will be great, but I just wonder how they will sell. However, they might be very nice OEM.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'm skeptical: if they plan to deliver the same performance at 1/2 the price, does that imply that they were shafting us before, that the statement is false, or that the fancy ones are going to get fancier? :think:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Stance will come in below the Sherman line in price with less bells and whistles as well as a little more weight. From what I remember reading the Stance Kingpin dc 170mm travel fork will have TPC damping and the Sherman Slider Plus will have a new version of SPV.
The Nixon looks like a great fork as well. 4.2 lbs., 0-145mm on the fly 32mm stantions and optional 20mm hex axle.
They have a new line of rear shocks, METAL. Available sizes up to 9.5"x3".
Manitou is really stepping it up.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am sure these forks will sell great and to be honest if anything they will put a dent in the Sherman sales. TPC+ works great and the current SPV is okay at best. Now if the new '05 SPV is way better, that will change things. I feel like my 6" Slider was "smoother" than my 7" Slider+ by about 25%.
Anyhow, I think the Stance line looks good and the prices look great! It really is amazing to think what we would have paid for this level of products just a few years ago...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Ifelloffabike said:
they were probably defective forks that got taken off the line by quality control
I'm sure its something like that. I just felt like being cynical over the fact that I can't afford a new fork but someone else out there has (potentially) a $4,000+ bar stool that makes holding onto a beer even more difficult, assuming that the occupent of the chair is drunk or close to it. :D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
escapeartist said:
anyone heared anything about a stance blunt? i saw it listed with the other stance's but w/ no explanation, also will there be a flow with a 1 1/8 steerer?
I hope they'll make a 5" Stance with a standard steerer. If anyone has some information about the Blunt, it would be much appreciated...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
WestCoastHucker said:
seems wierd to see all these people drooling over the stance lineup...... :confused:

seems to me, that it would be like raving about a Juinor T...
Yes, except that with the TPC cartridge the Stance Kingpin will perform more like a superT but be priced much lower than a junior T. Sound like stuff to drool about to me. Are you still confused?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
That was originally my thoughts, but TPC + is a great dampening system, its not inherently crippled like the SSVF on the Juniors, Dirt Jumpers, etctera. Like TWISTED said, TPC + and HCSV (HSCV?) are more equivalent, despite the budget connotation.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Im actually looking forward to this line. Since I used to have some TPC forks I love the way that they ride. If these are essentially the same chassis as the Shermans but with TPC (+) instead of SPV Im definitely going to one. I've only ridden SPV up front a few times but it seems to be like there's a lot more friction in them compared to the previous TPC models, no offense to them and they still ride nice I'm just a fan of TPC. Can't believe they're being sold for so cheap too. Hopefully we get some actual information from Manitou about them before there's too much hype about them floating around online. :mumble:

daevh

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Sheffield, UK
got the full specs here....

4 models.
all black stanchions with either charcoal or black lowers.

Kingpins are air assist.

the Static is really basic, no adjustment at all!

the others have travel, rebound adjust etc...

150mm travel is with a 1 1/8 steerer too.

why so cheap? they're made in Taiwan instead of the US like the Sherman

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I was thinking since mtnbkr4235 asked for a Manitou employee to chime in...and your name is Dave...anyway, welcome aboard the :monkey:

daevh

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Sheffield, UK
thankyou!

the Stance range also have their own casting, not the same as the Sherman.

also, someone mentioned on another thread about Sherman Breakout+'s going to 8". afraid not. 170mm only (which isn't actually 7" is it?).

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
8" SC, hands down upidstay = deathtrap

Is the Stance casting/forging as strong as Sherman? Or is it just heavier but equal strength?

daevh

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Sheffield, UK
doesn't actually say here, though in the pictures they look a bit smaller.

they're also heavier than the shermans. in fact, they're heavy forks!

soulfly

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Hungary
the manitou stance line:
http://www.bike-unlimited.de/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=211
who doesn't good in german:
already mentioned, 4 models:
kingpin: 170 mm, triple clamp, 1.1/8" tpc+ with air assist, external rebound and internal compression damping adjustments
flow: 150-120 mm, single crown, 1.5" rtwd, fluid flow with external rebound damping adjustment
2 models, same name - static: 80 or 120 mm, 1.1/8" sc, fluidflow, air assist, no external compression or rebound damping adjustable.
all black, cheap taiwaneese low budget entry level forks, mainly oem.

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
punkassean said:
just noticed something...

the Stance has a Schrader cap on the left leg, the Slider SPV has it on the right leg. Is the Stance equipped with an air assist and no SPV, or is SPV independent of the compression leg for '05??? That's the only mechanical difference I can see.
Yep, one of the models (can't remember if there are more) has got air assist. The Stance series is a budget version of the Sherman series. The forks have steel inner legs and the cheapest models got fluid flow dampening. The more expencive gets of course more sophisticated internals.

Consider them to be for kids that wan't a good hard core fork but can't shell out the money on a Sherman. At least that's what one of the sales reps here in Europe told me.