Quantcast

Maribor derailment thread

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Wow, i just found this thread... it seems riding is getting in the way of my e-riding.

But some folks sure get heated about this subject.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Nico dominated from the age of 19, but I don't recall people hating on him.
where were you? I was pretty sure that everyone hated Nico back then, especially Palmer.

And people thought it was cool if you had a Sunn bike, you weren't a "fanboy". Sign of the times I guess, people want to call others, outside of their friends, posers
I'm pretty sure it was NEARLY impossible to get any Sunn bikes back then here in the US.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
where were you? I was pretty sure that everyone hated Nico back then, especially Palmer.

I'm pretty sure it was NEARLY impossible to get any Sunn bikes back then here in the US.
I was racing at the time, and I don't recall people hating Nico...he got a lot of respect for being fast, consistently. There were a few Sunn bikes in the U.S......I remember the first time I saw someone other than a team rider with one was '98 at Deer Valley. Sunn bikes were kind of like Nicolai is now

<edit> I was young at the time and racing XC.....so I guess ppl could have been hating, but I never heard any

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just for the record. I knew it was NOT Tribus b/c he doesn't race World Cups anymore in case someone thinks they're chuckling at me darn it! :shakefist: I was just playing along with the goonies.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I was racing at the time, and I don't recall people hating Nico...he got a lot of respect for being fast, consistently. There were a few Sunn bikes in the U.S......I remember the first time I saw someone other than a team rider with one was '98 at Deer Valley. Sunn bikes were kind of like Nicolai is now

<edit> I was young at the time and racing XC.....so I guess ppl could have been hating, but I never heard any
except Sunn's race bikes were total factory jobs

If anything Sunn and Honda have the most in common

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I was racing downhill (just nationally) during Nico's time as well, and from what i remember there was nothing but admiration for the guy. I recall riding in Cap d'Ail (Nico's home track) in 96 and it was like going to Mecca. I guess Nico was just lucky to race during a time when messageboards weren't as popular as they are now; both the hype around Hill (which i find quite justified) and the backlash against it are products of too much boredom and internet access, so, to repeat the old adage once more, we should just chill out and ride more.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Actually I started wearing pants this year because I read an article in Dirt magazine that stated "Wearing pants over shorts isn't a matter of if it will be faster, it is by how much."
Can you please elaborate on why they think pants are faster?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
What if Sam would race in a tight t-shirt, pair of jeans and a leather coat? Would we be hating on all that too?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I screwed up this year. I got all kinds of sweet matching TLD stuff, only to find out I picked a kit that not a single well known pro is using this year. ()*!&@~! I also didn't get the memo on the pants, so I'm stuck only with matching shorts.

Oh, and just to burn everyone's noodles even more, I suck. And some times I even tuck my shirt in.

Laugh at me if you want, my name's written ont he back so you'll know who I am :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that 09 TLD stuff on page 3 is the ****TIEST DESIGN I'VE EVER SEEN...
I suppose one way to look at all this is that it's possibly a good sign that dowhilling is seen more as 'worth it' to market towards these days.

I'm thinking of the snow sports industry mostly here but the fact that there's a distinct fashion look emerging is a sign that the activity is being recognized and to a degree validated. Nobody makes or buys disc golf kits for instance. And anyone around skiing or snowboarding knows that a huge part of the industry is the accessorizing. The fact that even in our little niche, there are enough people to argue over something as trivial as this means that there's a least a big enough population to have some differences. :D

TLD will make dayglow zoot suits, then some indy company will come along and market themselves as the more restrained 'core' or function first image. I guess the candadian companies are on this to some degree......

Either way......my friends and I will heckle each other, and then we'll go enjoy ripping up some fun singletrack, which is what I suspect is the case for most people despite how serious an issue this may seem on the internet.

As far lars feeling self conscious: dude......you rocked a flowbee mullet in stars and stripes. Your credibility is never in question. :D

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Heh thanks for the encouragement Woo. I didn't take any of the comments that spawned my first post personally, but used myself as an example of how things work out sometimes regardless.

I've been getting a pretty good chuckle over this. It certainly took on a life of it's own. I really was just trying to bring up the fact that it's a big world out there, and ripping on some amateur dude for emulating their favorite pro is a wee bit trivial when we have work to do. Like getting some WC titles back stateside. And shredding with your buds. One of which is probably wearing thrift store goods, and the other is full on Royal racing gear. Point is... it doesn't really matter.
One of my more frequent riding buddies tears it up with hockey gloves, and a freakin whitewater kayak helmet. He shows me the fast way down the local trails more times than not.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This thread makes me laugh. I especially like how defensive the people that dress pretty get.

Teeheehee LOL

I wants my internet back

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
One of my more frequent riding buddies tears it up with hockey gloves.
LOL - man I sure hope that's some sort of exaggeration for some other goofy gloves he was wearing because I've played hockey most of my life and I couldn't imagine riding a bike with hockey gloves - no matter how well broken in they are ;)

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Well ok they look like hockey gloves, slightly smaller.
They might actually be kayaking gloves.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Alot (not all) of the kit in the sport resembles Underoo Pajamas IMO.......this goes for the alot of the TLD gear. I'm as guilty as anyone for dressing like fool.......the sport needs better clothes IMO. A vast selection that is affordable , adjustable, not obnoxious, and cut well....

Maybe i'm way off the mark here.......i didn't really read much of the thread.....

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
With a visor so high I'm just going to bolt it to the back of the helmet.
Or you could just be like the freestyle moto x punks and actually take the visor off and mount it backwards.
Or if your feeling even more hardcore, then you can drill two random holes in the side of your helmet and mount it on the side at an abscure angle. totally gnarcore style. (Yes, this HAS been done.)

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
you have to be freakin kiddin me. Is there really an 8 page thread on what to wear on ridemonkey. I thought I must have stumbled back onto the sucking black hole mtbr.com has become.

this is the gayz

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I've held off long enough, I don't know you personally, but it is you that sucks Ian Collins. For stupid ass comments like that. Why don't you move somewhere else then. Maybe Australia, and come up with a post telling us why YOU SUCK.
who pissed in your cornflakes....calm down tough guy....

first off.....taking what i'm saying out of context and quoting me was totally uncalled for...

i don't think "americans suck"

the point i was making was that this thread is precisely the reason that americans have RARELY in the last DECADE finished inside of the TOP 20 at world cup races for a sport that THEY invented (and far outnumber the rest of the world in terms of overall participation).....

i doubt that threads like this pop up on message boards in AUS, SA, NZ, Europe and South america....those downhillers are busy RIDING!

i was saying that american kids are too concerned with getting cool clothes and popular bikes than actually riding

i'll see if i can track down some midol and a good long piece of rope for you though......you need it

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
You have got to be one of the most uptight people I've seen on here.:huh:

Oh...and I am fanboy #2 for Lars Tribus, even though we are the same age, because we both picked our favorite track ever together on the lift at Snowshoe...'Mt Snow '99". It was a moment.... (just kidding) :thumb:
yeah, i was gonna say.....this guy's quite sensitive.....damn, if butch jumps in and defends ME! (of all people).....hell has frozen over....hahaha

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
It's not our fault that our culture has evolved over everyone elses. Someday their kids may be wise enough to realize image is everything and can make-up for poor performance. We've already dominated downhilling, it obviously got old. We need to lead in fashion- get w/the program:)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
because air that flows up your shorts acts as an air brake.

uh oh, now that my secrets out, everyones gonna destroy my times. :banghead:
Thanks.

This is funny. If you want to be aero don't use MX gear.....SKINSUIT all the way!!! :lighten: :biggrin:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
the point i was making was that this thread is precisely the reason that americans have RARELY in the last DECADE finished inside of the TOP 20 at world cup races for a sport that THEY invented (and far outnumber the rest of the world in terms of overall participation).....

i doubt that threads like this pop up on message boards in AUS, SA, NZ, Europe and South america....those downhillers are busy RIDING!
You're totally wrong on this one, believe me!!!!! IT'S THE INTERNET, DUDE!!!! IT'S MADE FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSING THE CLOTHES YOU WEAR WHILE RIDING DH!!!!! :biggrin:

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Screw it, I'm gonna buy myself an adult onesie and the be the most individualistic one out there. I heard the plastic feet give 10x more grip then five tens...plus they come in some sick prints