Votes: 5 25.0%
  • hell no

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
A stock DJ will be soft with no air in it. Will it be 888 plush? Hell no. It will feel fine for trail riding, though. You can always get a Z.1 with hscv damping, but it will be more expensive. Light, Strong, Cheap...pick two.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I have an 02 DJ 1(ssvf) and my friend has an 04 DJ 2(ssv). Mine feels way plusher then his, but it doesn't feel as plush as my Shiver, which has hscv damping, like the 888.

You'll be fine with a DJ 1. I beat mine to **** last year before I got a Manitou Jumper this year for my HT. It just need new seals and bushings. No cracks or anything of that sort.

I hope that helps.

ok then so I guess my desicion is now between the dj series and if I could get my hands on a dot I probably would becasue don't forget i have limited money and I want to use it for freeriding so the dj really isn't for me its just better than what im using now

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I don't see why a Dirt Jumper wouldn't perform well for "freeride." It's certainly strong enough, cheap, and it just works.

p.s...ever use periods at the end of a sentence? Just makes it a bit easier to read.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I'm also sure you've read on NSMB about DJer's and how they suck because they cracked or broke the stantions. Well those ppl say that because they used the fork for the wrong purpose.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Hang on a second, how can using a DJ fork for dirtjumping be using it for the wrong purposes? Isn't it marketed as one of the strongest singlecrown fork available?
The crowns cracked (03) because of the stupid M shape and integrated fender mount. The stanchions cracked (02) because of the cryofit process... and any 04 and 05 forks that have broken were probably dropped from a metre high to concrete, they're that damn heavy... then again, I'd be worried about the concrete cracking.
Increasing the travel on a DJ won't make it feel any better, you'll just have a bigger, heavier fork that still feels like crud on rough stuff.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Dont use a DJ series fork for freeriding. To me freeriding consists of technical trails, not just hitting one drop over and over. In a rock garden, or over roots you will notice the spiking of a DJ fork. SSV damping is basically a hole thru which oil passes. When hitting a trail w/ fast, repeated hits (stutter bumps to some) a large volume of oil is trying to flow through a very small hole, which causes the fork to compress a bit, then "spike" or "pogo" back up, as if it has no damping system at all. I think...but im not sure, that spiking is somewhat similar to hydraulic lockout. The effects of spiking can be reduced somewhat by drilling out the damping rods in the fork, but it will never feel as good as a fork with HSCV damping. I say pony up for a Marzocchi with HSCV damping, such as one of the better Z!'s, or get a sherman. I have ridden the fork in tech trails firsthand, and these are my experiences, this is not just e-speculation :p

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
oh, and dont get a drop off triple either. if you were going to get a drop off triple for freeriding, you might as well just get a dj fork, since they are essentialy the same, except the DOT is a DC, with ~1.5" more of travel. And drilling it and adding a spacer will NOT make it compare to a super t.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
DROP said:
Ok so I sorta wanna get a new fork but im not quite sure on what to get I was looking at the dirtjumpers but i heard they bend and ****? any ways I weigh about 155 I would use it mostly for urban and trail riding but if I get this fork I don't want to have to avoid freeriding so are they really crap forks?
oops I voted wrong. I figured you were dirtjumping with them...trails and djers suck together. Its doable...but if I had a choice I wouldn't

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If you only have $300 and need a burly fork, you can't go wrong with a DJ. I have one and I'm very happy with it, yes it's not very effective on a trail with roots and stuff but you just have to be smooth. I mostly jump with mine, and it handles drops well too.

If you want a plush fork that's nice on trails and doesn't spike, get a Z1 or a Pike, even if you'll have to get a thru-axle (which would be for the better).

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
I'd avoid the DJ series. They are Pig heavy and the damping system is pretty tired. They are good reliable forks but dollar to dollar there are better forks out there.

In the same position I'd probably purchase one of the lowest end (steel steer tube) Rock Shox Pike forks.

With the Rock Shox you get a much better damping system, way more adjustability (including 3-5" of travel adjustment), better tire clearance, and you might even save a few $$$.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Personally, I would stick to street and DJ with the DJ fork. It does that well. Yeah, it's heavy, and that's the point. Stop whining you cry babies. I have no problem manualing or barspinning so it can't be that heavy.

It's designed for abuse. Plain and simple. It's heavy, but very strong. I've cased numerous times, mistimed barspins, etc. etc. and never had the fork complain once.

It's not a trail fork. I can ride w/ it on trails, but I would definately prefer a Z1 or 66 over it.. not plush at all. Can get to the point of rigid riding sometimes, and my back tells me all about it after 2 days of riding on trails.

Oh and, they don't crack anymore, for all you people who think you know what you're talking about. That stopped circa '04.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
phlegm said:
Oh and, they don't crack anymore, for all you people who think you know what you're talking about. That stopped circa '04.
Everyone in this thread that mentioned cracking mentioned it was an 03-specific problem... so they do know what they're talking about.