Quantcast

Massanutten DH Race Questions

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Thanks to some Dillholes I can't post this question in the VA Forum.

I have never Raced DH (I have done alot of free riding) before and I was wondering if this is a good race from someone like me? I was hoping maybe someone that has raced it before could give me a little rundown on what I would see.

Also, I would be racing with this:

5in in the front and rear: would that be enough for this track?

Thanks everyone!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Massanutten is a great first race. It was my first race 2 years ago. You'll be fine on that bike as long as you tread lightly at the beginning and end of the race. When you drop into the woods, there is a pretty burly boulder section that loves to give flat tires. The middle of the course is fairly smooth and flowy, and then there is a big rock garden at the end. for your first DH race, Massanutten is a good place to be, and your bike will be fine. see ya out there! :thumb:

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
actually, that's the perfect bike for massanuthin'. i raced it last year on a 5x5 trailbike and had a great time. i definitely encourage you to come, it is a fairly easy course and a great intro to racing!

i never noticed such a crazy wheelbase on a kona before! and where did you find such a wide, flat house :D :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
MancilG said:
are you guys going up the day before?
Yeah, go up the day before for sure.
The reason Massa is so fun is because of all the riding you can get in.
As far as it being an easy course, its easy to ride down so on that bike you will be fine.
But that course can get hairy quick at race speeds.
Last year it got all blown out and was a blast.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I suspect most folks will be up there that day before the race to get in practice runs...That's the best part about DH racing anyway - practice runs...Lift is fast enough so you get in all the runs you want on Friday...And I agree with the above posters - that bike should be fine for Mass...You'll get bumped around in a few spots, but there's not really any super steep stuff or huge drops...

Also, the lodging at the resort is VERY reasonably priced, so I'd stay there and be close to all the action...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Yeah, I got my arse handed to me on a guy with a GT RTS (early 90's vintage) there. I was on a full on GT DHi. Except for two small (but gnarly) rock gardens the course really favors a quick steering good pedaling bike.

Have fun!!!

Mike

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
it's my first downhill race too!!

i've been watching the steelcity video i found some time last year over and over visualizing the course. i caught myself closing my eyes and swaying my head back and forth like stevie wonder. it made me laugh. but i stopped.

hey this is my first post after being too lasy to get a account for the past month. hi!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
BigMike said:
We definantly have to have a Monkey Get together! Only problem is, the ONLY place to go on the mountain is REALLY expensive!
Ryan's buffet & steakhouse in Harrisonburg. Problem solved.

EPB

Chimp
Apr 20, 2006
Maryland
Dooonnnn't Think Soooooo

Yes you are the reason why it got shut down, not to mention you go on other sites to try to pick fights with people...how old are we?

Seems to ALOT of us that you're the only one that can't let this goooo..

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Really, who posted crap? hhmmmm....:think:

And yes, I had it shut down along with RM because of your and a couple of others crap...

You get warned and you whine like a baby. You get banned for a week because of personal attacks...dude, whatever...:rolleyes:

bye bye.:wave:

To everyone else, meet one of the reasons...

EPB

Chimp
Apr 20, 2006
Maryland
sirknight6 said:
Really, who posted crap? hhmmmm....:think:

And yes, I had it shut down along with RM because of your and a couple of others crap...

You get warned and you whine like a baby. You get banned for a week because of personal attacks...dude, whatever...:rolleyes:

bye bye.:wave:

To everyone else, meet one of the reasons...

My head is about to explode with all this contradictive talk!

I never "whined" that would be you on the DC site, your goon squad whined to you origanlly but yet you "don't accept snitches"

Personal attacks? Show me ONE, don't get me and other people twisted

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Both of you SHUT UP! Focus...thread says Massanutten.

As for places to stay on the mountain, you have to call direct and ask for the race special. It is $60.00 at the hotel right across from the parking area. Butch says it...so it will be written.

As for food, Mexican restaurant in Harrisonburg. Last light before the interstate on the right side coming from Massanutten. Cheap...real...GOOD! Thread....out!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
bizutch said:
Both of you SHUT UP! Focus...thread says Massanutten.

As for places to stay on the mountain, you have to call direct and ask for the race special. It is $60.00 at the hotel right across from the parking area. Butch says it...so it will be written.

As for food, Mexican restaurant in Harrisonburg. Last light before the interstate on the right side coming from Massanutten. Cheap...real...GOOD! Thread....out!
No worries, the ignore feature is a great thing! :thumb:

mexican works for me...

We should have a poll...

I'll get the info from my Brother-in-law in a day or so.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If everyone is staying on the mountain we could do a tail gate style cook out at the hotel. I am sure there are enough of us with little grills we could cook up some stuff.