Quantcast

Massanutten DH Race Questions

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MancilG said:
what class is everyone racing? I know this is my first race but I'm not really down with the beginner class. I'm going to do sport.

Thats a good idea if you have been doing downhill type stuff for awhile. If this is your first time doing DH, i'd go with beginner.

I'll be there will bells on in Expert Senior.

And Dennis, good call on the cookout thing :thumb:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
BigMike said:
And Dennis, good call on the cookout thing :thumb:
Figured it was alot closer than driving anywhere. We could either do it in the hotel parking lot or meet back up at the deck at the bottom of the lift after everyone checked in and cleaned up.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Just to remind all dog owners...The hotel will kick you off the mountain and charge you $500 if they find a dog on the property. Even if your dog sleeps in the car. They dont want any dog sh@t in their perfect grass. the race promoter also does not think too much of dogs at the race site. I am a dog owner that has learned this.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
MancilG said:
what class is everyone racing? I know this is my first race but I'm not really down with the beginner class. I'm going to do sport.
I would start out in the beginner class just to get a feel for it. I jumped right into the sport class and havent gotten anywhere near the podium. Doesnt help Im slow either.:rolleyes: Usually the top people in the sport class need to move up.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
tomvan72 said:
Just to remind all dog owners...The hotel will kick you off the mountain and charge you $500 if they find a dog on the property. Even if your dog sleeps in the car. They dont want any dog sh@t in their perfect grass. the race promoter also does not think too much of dogs at the race site. I am a dog owner that has learned this.

What problem does Racersedge have with Dogs?

and good reminder, leave the pups at home for this one!

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
BigMike said:
What problem does Racersedge have with Dogs?

and good reminder, leave the pups at home for this one!
I'm not sure if Racers Edge has a problem, but I did over here George one day talking about "that girl with the dog" " she should have left it at home." That was my girl and dog! Its cool. He 's right. My dog is CRAZY!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
tomvan72 said:
well...your dog's name is Pooty (pootie?)...they probably heard you calling her and were like "poop machine"..:love:

Oh..it's not Racersedge's rule.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
tomvan72 said:
The lodge has this rule about "no dogs". The race venue suggests no dogs. find a sitter.

That puts a little crimp in my plans. Hmmmmm. My wife, dog and I were planning on camping out somewhere nearby in GWNF and I'd come race while she hiked around with the dog. Sounds like that is not a good idea. It's probably too hot already to leave the dog in the car for any extended amount of time as well. Bummer.

Also does anyone know how far Wintergreen is from Massanutten?

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
You will probably be ok if wife keep fido on the leash. Not very fun for hiking but letting our dog off the leash is what set off the alarms. You will be cool. Of course I am just giving advice and not saying this is official.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
tomvan72 said:
You will probably be ok if wife keep fido on the leash. Not very fun for hiking but letting our dog off the leash is what set off the alarms. You will be cool. Of course I am just giving advice and not saying this is official.
Did your dog happen to be hanging from anyones earlobes at the time these comments were made?
He is afterall quite "crackish.":)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
tomvan72 said:

She's a sight hound (the dog, not my wife). We never let her off the leash. If we did we'd never set sight on her again. :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BigMike said:
AGREED!

( I don't do Mexican.....)
if i had a problem like that, i sure wouldn't talk about it in public like this.

downhillridingandmexicanfood.

see, all one big beautiful word.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Is there a veterinarian around here?
I hear they can fix sick pythons and mexi-ass. You know what you get after too many Coronas and hot sause

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
SinatorJ said:
... and Taco Bell does not count.
man if you ever get back here, there's a place just a few minutes from my house called senor taco.
myself and whoever i take there are usually the only gringos in the place.
growing up in sandiego and spending a ton of time south of the border, i gotta tell ya.
this place is the real thing. just as good as that little hole in the wall there in flagstaff.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
The guy that serves up our chips and salsa has fangs. Straqight out of Mexico. His name is Cockukla! He can suck mexi food right out of your neck.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Buy something. Break something then buy something. Sell someone how much you love your bike, then tell them to call me to buy something!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
dhbuilder said:
man if you ever get back here, there's a place just a few minutes from my house called senor taco.
myself and whoever i take there are usually the only gringos in the place.
growing up in sandiego and spending a ton of time south of the border, i gotta tell ya.
this place is the real thing. just as good as that little hole in the wall there in flagstaff.
Joey, we see eye to eye on BBQ, but senor` taco.............

The two times I've eaten there, its been a serious red light running dash back to safety before I blow out an o-ring. The food has been tasty, but then there is the aftermath. I go for the little joint up on Merchants for small places and my roommate digs soccer taco. A post ride el charo and nego modelo isn't too bad either.

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
BW3's is down 33, (out of Massanutten, make right) till you hit Main Street, Downtown Harrisonburg, then make a left. BW3 will be a mile or so from there. It's right off the 81 exit. There are also good Mexican places to go, also located on Main Street. BW3's should be good Friday night as well for those spending the night. Summer session might have started for JMU. If it has it will be a good place to party at.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
RATM said:
BW3's is down 33, (out of Massanutten, make right) till you hit Main Street, Downtown Harrisonburg, then make a left. BW3 will be a mile or so from there. It's right off the 81 exit. There are also good Mexican places to go, also located on Main Street. BW3's should be good Friday night as well for those spending the night. Summer session might have started for JMU. If it has it will be a good place to party at.

I'm TOTALLY down for some B dubs!

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
The summer semester will not start till monday so the town should be pretty quie Friday night, but if you are looking for a place to party on Friday night Main Street bar and grill, and Highlawn should be alright. They both have pool, and beer.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
You guys are going to hand my ass to me. Jackson and Woody talked me into racing my 5" xc bike on this course for my first DH race :rofl:

I'll be doing beginner, but I'm sure I'll have a blast!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mud'n'sweat said:
You guys are going to hand my ass to me. Jackson and Woody talked me into racing my 5" xc bike on this course for my first DH race :rofl:

I'll be doing beginner, but I'm sure I'll have a blast!
Get a full Face helmet and some pads, and you'll be fine!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
d.e.f. said:
Joey, we see eye to eye on BBQ, but senor` taco.............

The two times I've eaten there, its been a serious red light running dash back to safety before I blow out an o-ring. The food has been tasty, but then there is the aftermath. I go for the little joint up on Merchants for small places and my roommate digs soccer taco. A post ride el charo and nego modelo isn't too bad either.
your weak stomach ain't my problem.
i've been drooling at the thought of their chili relleno burrito and veggie tacos all afternoon.
although i do admit, there's a few things on that salsa bar the look like they could burst into flames at any moment.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
BigMike said:
Get a full Face helmet and some pads, and you'll be fine!
Pads are for weiners :p

What is the camping situation at the bottom of the lift? I am to poor to afford housing so probably going to try to camp down there. Is it allowed? I saw peoples tents there last year. Who has a hotel room i can shower in on friday :p