Quantcast

Master of Masterlinks?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
First off, I want to know WHY this is happening. I am aware i can get a pin and (probably) be fine.

Here goes.
I break a chain just about every time i ride, i have no idea why. Its always the masterlink-regardless of the chain or type of masterlink. To get an idea of how many, im on my 12th masterlink this month. Even my mom cannot afford this. I have found no consistency with the problem, just that it happens at least once a day. Sometimes the link snaps, other times it just falls off. Usually i run the cheap SRAM chains, but the last 1 i put on was a better one. (971?) I run 9 speed with a saint derailleur and road cassettes. Chainguide in teh front.

Here is the shlt list if it can help.

banshee-2x on indycross, 1 time on dominion
demos-breakout 11, ripper, various race courses, GRT track, hellion, alpine

*it is 100% not pedaling related, i am by no means lance armstrong snapping chains, it seems mine are committing suicide :(

I have tried other masterlinks besides the gold ones, no dice

First off, I want to know WHY this is happening. I am aware i can get a pin and (probably) be fine.

Here goes.
I break a chain just about every time i ride, i have no idea why. Its always the masterlink-regardless of the chain or type of masterlink. To get an idea of how many, im on my 12th masterlink this month. Even my mom cannot afford this. I have found no consistency with the problem, just that it happens at least once a day. Sometimes the link snaps, other times it just falls off. Usually i run the cheap SRAM chains, but the last 1 i put on was a better one. (971?) I run 9 speed with a saint derailleur and road cassettes. Chainguide in teh front.

*it is 100% not pedaling related, i am by no means lance armstrong snapping chains, it seems mine are committing suicide :(

I got nothing to add except the bold print.
Thanks for the laugh..

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
George is spot on. You need to take your shock out and run the suspension through the length of travel with the chain in the largest ring. Also make sure to check you chain deflection angle against the guide and for any binding there.

If you are breaking chains at the master link, you are probably doing something wrong. Also, are you using a Shimano chain with Sram link? Are the link and chain both the matching speed (9 to 9; 10 to 10)?

I would also look into buying 10 spare master links for your toolbox. If you are well supplied on assorted parts like that, you don't need to keep buying chains. You just need to put them back together.

But again, if you are breaking chains like that and always at the masterlink, you're doing something wrong. You get guys like Wade Bootes, who was roided through his dome, not breaking chains. Unless you are hack shifting under full load there is no reason for a maintained chain to break.

*see what I did there...*

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City

Here goes.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
already checked chain length. We originally thought i was leaving them too long and loose, we tried making them "perfect" same result. go figure.

*also, i do keep spare links, but i do swap chains from time to time, the new 971 lasted 4 runs before i had to replace the masterlink.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
already checked chain length. We originally thought i was leaving them too long and loose, we tried making them "perfect" same result. go figure.

*also, i do keep spare links, but i do swap chains from time to time, the new 971 lasted 4 runs before i had to replace the masterlink.
How old are the cassettes that you are swapping chains around? Your chain and cassette wear in unison and should be replaced in unison.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How old are the cassettes that you are swapping chains around? Your chain and cassette wear in unison and should be replaced in unison.
generally yes, that's the case, but in DH drivetrains (typically) don't see as many miles as xc and road bikes, where that rule holds true. But definitely something worth checking. Although I'm not sure if a worn cassette would be causing failures in exactly the same spot.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Joker, the cassettes are older-but by no means "old", i replace chains more often, would this really pop open a master link-on different bikes-different scenarios?

kranked-its 100% always when coasting, usually for prolonged periods (ex;pedal into dominion, loose the chain on alpine)

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
100% always when coasting, usually for prolonged periods
That's just strange, its gotta be something about the way the sus is pulling the chain. But I doubt everyone (anyone?) else with the same frame has this issue.

Have you tried not using a masterlink?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Try KMC or Connex masterlinks. The KMC ones snap together tighter and the Connex ones you have to angel the chain weird to it off.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's just strange, its gotta be something about the way the sus is pulling the chain. But I doubt everyone (anyone?) else with the same frame has this issue.
What does your chainline, through the guide, look like in every gear top to bottom of the travel? There must be a crossed up kink somewhere causing the issue. Also, make sure you have the right sized links for the chain and that there is no damage to the chain ring or cassette teeth.

Eli.

Chimp
Aug 14, 2011
If the masterlink is popping open or coming apart it would likely be due to the chain being at an angle and putting too much stress on the masterlink. Is your chainline proper, or is it crooked and causing your chain to bind?

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Go 10 speed problem solved.

But actually, this is really weird I have had one powerlink break and i run the same (951) chain on all the bikes. Is there any consistency to which gear it breaks in (ie if its always in the bottom/top of the cassette the chain could be running by the guide at a funny angle)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
check chain line, and check for burrs on cassette and chainring.

i know sram warrantied a batch of master link's as well, but i think they were 10spd, not 9spd, but might be worth a little googling.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Go 10 speed problem solved.

But actually, this is really weird I have had one powerlink break and i run the same (951) chain on all the bikes. Is there any consistency to which gear it breaks in (ie if its always in the bottom/top of the cassette the chain could be running by the guide at a funny angle)
i would say the bottom half of the cassette, ill get more detailed pics and check the chainline. This said, i cant say it wouldnt happen in the top half, i rarely keep the chain in an easier gear than 5th

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
That is just weird...

As for chains, I used to break them every so often when I had cheap ones. I have since switched to the 991 hollowpin chains and haven't broken one since. They are lighter and somehow stronger. Also I am terrible and maintaining stuff so they rarely if ever get lubed and still no problems. Maybe just try a nicer chain...

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
pretty much quit using quick links and get a shimano chain.

and a chain tool,and whilling to bet the chains to short.

Aug 4, 2008
If you're going Shimano without ML - then get yourself helluvalot of pins, since on newer Shimano chains pins seem not too thrilled about reuse.

Personally I tend to have problems only with Shimano without ML. ML has ran problem free for bout 10 years now.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hey demo9, I had the same issue as you a few years ago, and switching to the connex master links cured the problem for me. They don't click together but have a tortured path so it's harder from them to rattle off.

I've still lost about 2 of them, but I had much better luck with them than sram and kmc (kmc was good when new, but after a few clip/unclip cycles would loosen up). Just try different brands until you find one that stays on for you.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Check for hub drag and upper chainline droop.

High speed coasting and smaller cogs point to that. Maybe just taking a sh!tload of slack out of the chain at once when you start cranking is enough to do it, or it gets bound up somewhere once the chain pulls tight again?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD

High speed coasting and smaller cogs point to that. Maybe just taking a sh!tload of slack out of the chain at once when you start cranking is enough to do it, or it gets bound up somewhere once the chain pulls tight again?
I like this idea. Especially I9 hubs are prone to causing slack in the chain when coasting if they aren't adjusted just right.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

you my friend have a brilliant idea

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

:thumb: My thoughts exactly.
Also check guide isn't catching on the guide, and possible guide bearings if there are any, but that doesn't really add up.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Those Wipperman Connex links are the best ones that I've tried. God knows how long the one on my DH bike has been there.

Also if you're frequently using the master link, you might need to change them from time to time as perhaps the connection gets looser slightly with each connect/disconnect?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't have a good solution to the problem, but I can help you eliminate some possiblities:

I've rocked sram power links with 951, 971 and 991 chains. I've even left my chain too short for my suspension to cycle (more than once, don't drink and wrench) and bottomed out.

I've never had the chain break at the power link. In the most extreme case, I actually blew the derailuer cage clean off in little tiny pieces but never had the master link break. I doubt it's the type of chain or link that's causing the problem.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Another vote for freehub drag and excessive upper chain droop as a result.

My old Chris King hub would sometimes get some drag, and then my top chain would drop down between the tire and chainstay, while the bottom chain would pull the rear d tight forward.

That sucks and was really frustrating until I figured out the problem.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Hey demo9, I had the same issue as you a few years ago, and switching to the connex master links cured the problem for me. They don't click together but have a tortured path so it's harder from them to rattle off.
Several people have said it so far, hasn't seem to stuck. SWITCH CHAINS! (or at least your masterlink) The Wipperman chains have the connex masterlink. You can't just push two ends of the chain together like with Sram and KMC masterlinks. Notice the extended length beyond the odd shaped hole (below). To remove this masterlink, you have to twist the chain at this point, and have it double back on itself. I'm 99% positive this will fix your problem. And to boot, the Wipperman chains are burly! You'll notice double the life expectancy with these than from any other chain.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'd recommend checking your chainring, guide, etc for alignment as it sounds like its getting kinked in that region when slack is created from the freehub while coasting at highspeeds.

If that doesn't work, maybe try bringing your bike to fox while at a race? They usually have really good support.