Quantcast

Maxxis Southeast series

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Well? I heard big talk after the Hobby Park race. As I understand it Maxxis has commited money to this and I haven't seen anything yet.:disgust1:

This will suck if nothing becomes of this. Juan and Chuck were looking into doing something this year but the anouncement at Hobby killed that.

Anyone heard from Sandy?

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
We need a series in the Southeast again....The Maxxis Series was some of the best races I've been to....I would really like to see it happen again but it's not looking like it's going to anytime soon....

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I will just say the cane creek promoters were ahead of the ball
on getting the Maxxis sponsorship for a series. Interesting there
hasn't been the same rush for any schedule yet?

I think they may be trying to work out better venues, but at hobby was asking for additional sponsorship to make it happen. I don't know what amount
of support $$ Maxxis has committed to but, from my understanding it
won't be used as overall payout towards the series. Not to say there won't
be other $$ allocated for that - I don't know that much of their business,
just the prior fact.

All 3 grand was given out to the overall series winners in The Past Maxxis series.

Yeah Terry and Juan did a great job (Along with promoters at each race)
with putting on a series that I was always proud to talk about when abroad racing nationals.
A few us were trying to get the Maxxis support for a
MTX/Slalom series. We were beat to the punch.

I hope that if it happens it will be better than what the CC series had become.
In the 90's the CC series seemed great, but the sport was thriving on its on then. My First CC race in 97 had 80+ in expert men at Ski Beach Mt.
(to which the original DH course - would be better than
the Dh courses they have used since then in the CC series) Not knocking anyones courses just stating the fact that especially in DH - the bikes evolved but in the southeast the courses turned into time trials on a 1/2
mile xc course. Slalom didn't get any better, although hobby has evolved
to be a better course - oh yeah it was the only CC slalom last season.
Hmm, Will the new Maxxis series have slalom or MTX?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Chuckles, you nailed it on the head.

As far as slalom, if you weren't putting on races I'd sell my Tazer.
It would be nice to see some more of the Karolina Klick come on down for your backyard supacross.
They need to ask Herndon and Jeremy what they thought of it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Chuckles, you nailed it on the head.

As far as slalom, if you weren't putting on races I'd sell my Tazer.
It would be nice to see some more of the Karolina Klick come on down for your backyard supacross.
They need to ask Herndon and Jeremy what they thought of it.
Jeremy told me he had a lot of fun untill his wheel got taken out. I would of went, but with the kid and all!!!!! It was to hard to get away.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
there's someone who's outside the bike community that has talked to me twice lately about what it would take to do something related to a race/festival/party.
similar to the a.t.v. clubs spring and fall events up here.

i'm not gonna hold my breath.
but they've seen the activity that goes on with us up here.
and we're not going un-noticed

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
speaking of Dh...what happened to your event?
Still in the works.... I guess that was one post that got by you. I moved it back to June 3rd or 10th because of the Tiger Rag. I also told the Clemson Free Ride team they should hold there race on the 20th. I am still waiting on sponsors to aprove funds and will post more after that.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Hey Butch Do you have any insite on what will happen at Sugar this
year concerning slalom/4x? They're both listed as events for this year.
Knowing how things work out, I figure that is a misprint or will be changed
last second? Hah, But do you know if they may want to let someone
do a better job building a course for whatever style race they go with?
Or are they just people who are consistantly hard-headed?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Butch Do you have any insite on what will happen at Sugar this
year concerning slalom/4x? They're both listed as events for this year.
Knowing how things work out, I figure that is a misprint or will be changed
last second? Hah, But do you know if they may want to let someone
do a better job building a course for whatever style race they go with?
Or are they just people who are consistantly hard-headed?
I'd say the answer lies somewhere in the middle of everything you said Chuck.
Never know when something will get canceled...
Things are usually last second....
Maybe they will let someone do a better job...
And they are usually hard-headed.....

Personally, I would love to re-route the top part of the DH the way we originally envisioned it...but I'd bet they won't let me near it anymore...considering I laid it out and a bunch of people donated their time and effort to get it done...and they turned around and named the sections not after me or them, but a buddy of mine who walked it one time? Newton..I love ya buddy.

They are letting Eric Schmidinger have complete control up there since he actually WANTS to do it. Not too many resorts have a person willing to build. I may butt heads with some things, but I don't fault 99% of what he did to finish what we started.

I'll be talking to him shortly to beg info.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh...and I just got off the phone with Cataloochee and they're open to me presenting a race concept.
But boy is there a kicker in the teeth. They don't have road access to the top of their ski hill. The only access is through an exclusive, gated community so no go on a shuttle to the top.
Only way I could hold a race there if I got them to say yes..would be to push to the top.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Oh...and I just got off the phone with Cataloochee and they're open to me presenting a race concept.
But boy is there a kicker in the teeth. They don't have road access to the top of their ski hill. The only access is through an exclusive, gated community so no go on a shuttle to the top.
Only way I could hold a race there if I got them to say yes..would be to push to the top.
Could you get them to turn the lifts on? How about getting Beach back? That place would be better. I bet if we fixed a few spots near the road that would help some. Just a thought.......

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Could you get them to turn the lifts on? How about getting Beach back? That place would be better. I bet if we fixed a few spots near the road that would help some. Just a thought.......

Good lord a race a Beech would be stupendous!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
getting my ducks in a row on Beech before I go making those calls.
As for turning the lifts on at Cataloochee, she said 100% no. Besides, they detach all the chairs in spring and put them back on in fall.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
As for turning the lifts on at Cataloochee, she said 100% no. Besides, they detach all the chairs in spring and put them back on in fall.
I would say put 100% in to Beach. That would be one of the best places to have a SE race. You know that already but, damn do I miss that long a$$ rock grarden and all the old high speed drops.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
w.t.f. ???
just plain and simple, w.t.f. ???

they want a race proposal, but that's their method of operations ???
no lift.
and push your bike to the top around a gated community that won't let you use their roadway.

recipe for success i tell ya.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
not trying to tell you who to and not to make calls to.

but i'd forget that bunch right away.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it's just that as hard of a time as it seems to be to get any kind of racing off the ground in this region, a place that throws up major roadblocks like those needs to have it spelled out for them that they're cutting their own throats.

no lift.
no road.
no downhill activity or the income it'll bring into the area.