Quantcast

Maxxis Southeast series

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
it's just that as hard of a time as it seems to be to get any kind of racing off the ground in this region, a place that throws up major roadblocks like those needs to have it spelled out for them that they're cutting their own throats.

no lift.
no road.
no downhill activity or the income it'll bring into the area.
The lady was honest and forthright with me. Heck, she's apparently been on my DH related email list for a long time and said she enjoys keeping up on what is happening and how the sport if changing.

And what they do is NOT out of the ordinary. All resorts pull their chairs off for the summer. Wolf and Sugar are the exception.

I didn't realize they actually only stopped skiing operations LAST WEEK:shocked:

She said for 5 months out of the year, they work 16-18 hour days heads down full bore. They spend all their resources from the day they shut down on promotions, planning, development, repairs, upgrades and financial obligations. She said they are still cranking out max work days and will do so for most of the summer.

She was the first person to say "put something together and I'll at least review it to see if it is interesting.".

They legitimately make enough money to not worry about bikes. I asked her about the hotter summers. She said with new snow making equipment and technology, their season has gotten progressively longer.

They're privately owned and operated. No corporate machine is pushing them to meet stockholder expectattions.

plus..she was a very nice lady.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
what about "asm" ?

butch.
maybe if you showed up with a crescent wrench, she'd let you put the chairs back on.

Hey, I know this other place to hold a race that has a paved shuttle road and a 10-12 minute course. I'll donate use of my timing system (including me running it), course tape, radios and some prizes if a certain angry :) old guy wants to put it on. :lighten: :cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hey, I know this other place to hold a race that has a paved shuttle road and a 10-12 minute course. I'll donate use of my timing system (including me running it), course tape, radios and some prizes if a certain angry :) old guy wants to put it on. :lighten: :cheers:
When you say it, it comes across so much smoother than my delivery. Maybe from now on if I have ideas about the rock, I'll forward them to you first, allow you creative license with my wording..then post the corrected document to create a better perception....:lighten:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
yeah....thats screwed up having a NCS race in with a local series...
Yeah the same BS with the DS as last year throwing one slalom for locals
and one at a National then calling that a series.
Not sure what Websters defintion of series is but, I never thought the
word referred to TWO- or the fact that a pro in one race is a pro
and the next race is expert??
Yeah same with the DH at Sugar then a super D at Fontana?
Enjoy it XC guys I will find fun otherwise!!!

I find it funny the link is Cane Creek when Maxxis is the sponsor!

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Yeah the same BS with the DS as last year throwing one slalom for locals
and one at a National then calling that a series.
Not sure what Websters defintion of series is but, I never thought the
word referred to TWO- or the fact that a pro in one race is a pro
and the next race is expert??
Yeah same with the DH at Sugar then a super D at Fontana?
Enjoy it XC guys I will find fun otherwise!!!

I find it funny the link is Cane Creek when Maxxis is the sponsor!
Actually my old employer is the sponsor of the series with Maxxis. Go to www.paulsracing.com for current info. And no I don't know what will happen w/the DS @ Hobby. They still show it on the schedule but since I have opened my own shop and am now a competitor I doubt they will want me to run it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Actually my old employer is the sponsor of the series with Maxxis. Go to www.paulsracing.com for current info. And no I don't know what will happen w/the DS @ Hobby. They still show it on the schedule but since I have opened my own shop and am now a competitor I doubt they will want me to run it.
Weird, in the old days, the Western North Carolina Bicycle Dealers Association put the series on and all the shop employees from all the shops around here were alternating volunteers.

FYI...did you know that pigeons pull mortar out of brick chimneys? I'm watching them dismantle the next office over and I just saw a hunk of mortar the size of a sand dollar pop out!!!:shocked:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
And what they do is NOT out of the ordinary. All resorts pull their chairs off for the summer. Wolf and Sugar are the exception.

That's wrong. Most resorts leave the chairs on and do repairs as nessesary. Think Snowshoe, Sky Valley, Mass., Wintergreen, 7 Springs, Roundtop...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Hey congrats on getting your own shop Mike - good luck with it,
and don't stop riding!! That tends to be the bike shop owner curse.
Well you did make it through the tech curse so - keep on keepin on Bro.