Quantcast

MBC's car thread - part II - the final chapter

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past few weeks - esp MTB_FL_ROB who let me email him endless questions.

At last....................

picked this baby up Saturday. It's a 2005 Pathfinder SE. She had 6 miles on her when I got her. The salesmen practically THREW themselves at me to sell it - so I got a great deal.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
Glad to see gas prices aren't affecting everyone. Guess Bush's "everyone should try not to use as much" speach is like everything he says. Meaningless...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
HOORAY!

That vehicle is very nice. Lots of cargo room. The second row of passengers seats is neat, but if you are taller than four feet, you really can't sit comfortably back there. I'm just glad we don't have to fold the seats down now to lug our toys around. :)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Excellent choice. Congrats!

If yours was built before mid-May, make sure the dealer has done the vehicle stability control update, it was one of the only notable service bulletins for the '05 model.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MtnBikerChk said:
Thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past few weeks - esp MTB_FL_ROB who let me email him endless questions.

At last....................

picked this baby up Saturday. It's a 2005 Pathfinder SE. She had 6 miles on her when I got her. The salesmen practically THREW themselves at me to sell it - so I got a great deal.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY! Me and my MSExchange server are very happy for you. :blah:

For everyone else, they should take notes on how to buy a vehicle from you. Do all your research up front, arrange your own financing (just in case you need it) and then make the DEALER WORK FOR YOUR BUSINESS.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
Beautiful SUV!!!

:thumb:
You should have seen the 8 cylinder BEHEMOTH that was in the showroom. :drool: It gets 12 miles per gallon. LMAO It was a pretty nice vehicle though.

The Nissan Murano looks pretty cool. Not as much cargo room as my Outback, but might be worth a test drive when I am in the market for a new car in three years.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
YAY! Me and my MSExchange server are very happy for you. :blah:

For everyone else, they should take notes on how to buy a vehicle from you. Do all your research up front, arrange your own financing (just in case you need it) and then make the DEALER WORK FOR YOUR BUSINESS.

heh heh! Thanks again.

TWICE I said - we'll, thank you very much but it's just too much $$.

They kept dropping their price!

From Ruthless people "bad salesman make me sick."

:thumb:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
MtnBikerChk said:
actually, I was thinking about putting the Bridgestone revos on it!
if you arent doing any hard core off roading, get the revos. They handle a bit better on the road than the BFGs, but off roading they arent as good. if youre just going to be driving to the bike trail head and dealing with a bit of dirt, then the revos are fine.
from my research

dry road
REVO > BFG

wet road
about =...maybe REVO >= BFG

snow
BFG >= REVO

dirt
BFG > REVO

rocks
BFG >> REVO

sidewalls
BFG > REVO

mud (they both arent great)
BFG > REVO

tread life
BFG >> REVO

For my Jeep, the marginally better on road driving was not worth the tread life and ~$30/tire price difference. In a 30x9.5x15 (my Jeep size) the Revos were about $130 and teh BFGs were right around $100 per

luken8r said:
if you arent doing any hard core off roading, get the revos. They handle a bit better on the road than the BFGs, but off roading they arent as good. if youre just going to be driving to the bike trail head and dealing with a bit of dirt, then the revos are fine.
from my research

dry road
REVO > BFG

wet road
about =...maybe REVO >= BFG

snow
BFG >= REVO

dirt
BFG > REVO

rocks
BFG >> REVO

sidewalls
BFG > REVO

mud (they both arent great)
BFG > REVO

tread life
BFG >> REVO

For my Jeep, the marginally better on road driving was not worth the tread life and ~$30/tire price difference. In a 30x9.5x15 (my Jeep size) the Revos were about $130 and teh BFGs were right around $100 per
really? the tire rack reviewers like the Revos WAY better than the BFGs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
From my experience:
the BFGs are going to be better off-road, though the Revos aren't bad.

The revos are going to be better on-road, especially in the rain. Revos will also be a bit quiter/smooter.

Both are good tires, but IMO, BFGs are too much tread for a street-only truck.

Also consider the regular Dueler ATs (non-revos). I ran them for ~50k miles with no problems. I loved them.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
MtnBikerChk said:
I put 25k miles on my Revos this past year so here's my take on them:

Pros:
Reasonably quiet/smooth
excellent on wet roads (rain/standing water/slush)
great road feel/handling (i have stiffest versions though)
Work well in deep snow

Cons:
Not great in construction site mud.
Tread picks up stones and then drives you crazy with 'clicking'.
Hard to find, usually need to be ordered (PITA if you ruin a single tire like I did and need to wait for replacement)
One tire needed to warranteed due to being impossible to balance.

Overall I like the tires. Considering they are on a 6,000lb truck, they have worn pretty well. That said, I'm trying BFGs next time around.

Whatever you get, make sure they are "LT" rated tires and not "P" (passenger) tires. The stiffer casing will provide better handling and better wear.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
MtnBikerChk said:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
meh
I wouldnt say WAY better, just depends on what you need them for. The problem with online reviews is you need to take all the good and bad reviews with a grain of salt.
Im not bashing the REVOs, theyre a great tire. I almost got a set. However for *my* driving, the BFGs won out on price. The marginal benefit that youd gain with the REVOs in certain situations in on road handeling and rolling resistance (MPG), didnt out weigh the price differential, tire wear and off road capability.
The BFGs I have now are awesome in the snow, dont hydroplane at all and wear like iron. The slight advantages the REVOs had werent enough to sway me over to them

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
MtnBikerChk said:
I heard this recently too. My last set of Revos were Ps. Do they come in both?
Yeah, they come in both. The P has a thinner sidewall and the tread isnt as deep as the LT versions. It strictly for onroad.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
There are really only two excellent tire manufactures for normal daily use tires:

Michelin

...and...

BF Goodrich.

And both are owned by Michelin.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
MtnBikerChk said:

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like the color. Good luck with the new rig.:thumb: