Quantcast

Meeting someone online..

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I know this is the age of technology and all. And I want to believe love is love. I just really can't grasp these things like eharmony.com and such. My brother recently got married to a women he found on a website like that. To be honest I have really never seen a couple that looked as natural as they do. Yet I feel that must take much of the fun out of actually going out and meeting people.

Discuss.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you're browsing casual encounters on craigslist aren't you?
HA! Caught me.

Nah, been thinking about how something like that would work, since my brother's wedding this past fall. Then I overheard some customer in the shop today telling one of the sales guys about how she met her fiance online. So it got me thinking about it again.

I am really just trying to understand the advantage of it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Efficiency? You don't have to get dressed up, go out, spend money and time at a bar or club to find out that a chick just friggin' sucks. Much easier and faster to go through the catalog and figure out what you want.

Oh wait, that's mail-order-brides...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have a friend of mine who did that recently, been with the chick six months.

Sort of reminds me of the MadTV skit "Lowered Expectations..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VRcj9WbHLjk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VRcj9WbHLjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My buddy is happy with the girl though. He's an educated sort of cat, and he explained to me that the reason it works so well is that the "patented algorythms" they use are basically a handicapping system, and somehow it works.

Mind you, I wouldn't copulate with his new girl with LordOpie's dick and N8 shoving. She looks like a cracked out pekingese, and doesn't have much of a personality that I could discern, but they seem happy, so that's enough.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I met my wife online, She was looking for a cycling partner. Emailing back and forth was a good way to get familiar while stuck in our offices for 10-12 hours a day working our butts off. When we finally met for lunch we ended up talking for 4 hours. Many many bike rides later we finally figured out that we really liked each other one hell of a lot. We celebrate our 9th anniversary Feb 12

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's a cool story.

Finding someone is hard enough in my opinion. Yes, banging the "rode hard and put up wet" contingent is an option, but I wouldn't want them knowing where I lived.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I met my wife online, She was looking for a cycling partner. Emailing back and forth was a good way to get familiar while stuck in our offices for 10-12 hours a day working our butts off. When we finally met for lunch we ended up talking for 4 hours. Many many bike rides later we finally figured out that we really liked each other one hell of a lot. We celebrate our 9th anniversary Feb 12
That's pretty awesome. :happydance:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
match.com should be renamed fail.com.

they suckered me into giving them money.....i mean my profile clearly says "no disasters and or desperate people"....apparently all of my matches didnt read that part

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
+rep coming your way Dirt, I loved those skits.

I have a friend of mine who did that recently, been with the chick six months.

Sort of reminds me of the MadTV skit "Lowered Expectations..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VRcj9WbHLjk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VRcj9WbHLjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My buddy is happy with the girl though. He's an educated sort of cat, and he explained to me that the reason it works so well is that the "patented algorythms" they use are basically a handicapping system, and somehow it works.

Mind you, I wouldn't copulate with his new girl with LordOpie's dick and N8 shoving. She looks like a cracked out pekingese, and doesn't have much of a personality that I could discern, but they seem happy, so that's enough.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I met lots of hot chicks online after watching my less than stellar roommate bring home hotties he met on Yahoo.

After about a half dozen hotties, a few fatties, and a couple psychos, I met my now wife. We have been together 10 years.

What did I learn?
1. Pictures, good ones that are recent
2. Public place meetings with visible escape routes are keys to first meetings.
3. Phone conversations after many email exchanges prior to coffee shop meetings are a must.
4. Lunch dates are cheap, easy, and quick. Much better than dinner.
5. Don't divulge where you hid the body of your ex until at least the 4th date.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
That's different because it involves a real activity, and it happened to happen. You weren't looking for love.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
That's different because it involves a real activity, and it happened to happen. You weren't looking for love.
no "She" was looking for a riding partner

I was looking to get a GF that rode bikes. I had sworn that any new GF would have to ride bikes as I had dumped the last one when she said I had to chose between her or the bike, told her not to let the door hit her in the ass on the way out...:banana:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
edating is the shiznit. I've had a lot of fun times (heads out of the gutters pervs) with cool women I met online. Had one long term relationship out of the deal. Overall, very good times and well worth the small price.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
This all sounds promising, but is there a dating sites for smart-asses ?

Or am I just stuck shaking hands with the unemployed ?
Being a proud smart-ass myself. I have realized it's best to just let it ride. Eventually you will find someone who will put up with your smart-ass-ness enough to love you. In which case, woot! :happydance:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
This is a major push button subject for me so I'll reframe from my true opinion to avoid the same few cyber bullies on here from tearing my post apart. If you are serious about online dating and want to give it a try, go here. It's free. A buddy of mine told me about it in December, but it's no different than a night club. Go find out for youself.

www.plentyoffish.com or www.pof.com It's a world wide free dating site.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't really get the stigma attached to it. Never done it myself but you guys will all spend your days talking with people who you haven't and won't ever meet for the most part. Lots of people have taken trips to see other monkeys, lots of monkeys being giving or generous in helping out others on here.

So why is that not a personal relationship of a sort?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it should be a substitute for going out and getting to know someone personally after you've met them online - just like this board shouldn't be a substitute for real friends or a social life. But I can easily see online dating as a tool to both hugely broaden your potential dating pool and filter out those that aren't worth the meal/drinks/activity...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would guess the feelings of dating stigma have been steady through history.

My grandparents probably didn't like how people dated when they got older cause it was not the way they did it.
I agree that there's a certain "stodgy" aspect to it, but even a lot of the 18-30 year olds look at it as weird or only for social loners. Just seems like for every person I've heard try it and say it's for fat people with a lot of cats, I've heard three more say they had a good time doing it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
...every person I've heard try it and say it's for fat people...
I think it's safe to say that those people are all morons.

Edit: I have not been single since dating sites have taken off, but I could definitely see the appeal of it. I've met a ton of cool monkeys via the intragoogles, so I would imagine it'd work for meeting chicks, too.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I agree that there's a certain "stodgy" aspect to it, but even a lot of the 18-30 year olds look at it as weird or only for social loners.
Social loners, like people that sit on RM all day,....Maybe I should try it.

Just seems like for every person I've heard try it and say it's for fat people with a lot of cats, I've heard three more say they had a good time doing it.
So I will be looking through a lot of chubbies with cats before I run into anything remotely interesting,....maybe I will just buy another bike.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I agree that there's a certain "stodgy" aspect to it, but even a lot of the 18-30 year olds look at it as weird or only for social loners. Just seems like for every person I've heard try it and say it's for fat people with a lot of cats, I've heard three more say they had a good time doing it.
But you also have to think about why the lady/guy is on the internet dating site in the first place..........herpes, bad reputation, etc. Of course there's clean, good people out there but you'd have to think the ratio of freaks/normals is a lot higher on the internet.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think it works really well for people who use it for what it's for: meeting lots and lots of people really quickly. It's like human TV. Just channel surf a while. If you've got a social filter that's at all functional, you'll weed out any total whack jobs right away and the rest after one or two dates at most.

BTW, I met my lady on teh intartubes.

jking09

Chimp
Jan 2, 2009
Fayetteville
i think its neat to talk to new people on these dating websites, however i would be nervous to meet them in person. what if the pic they have up is from like 10 yrs. ago. AWKWARD!